I'm Larry Bell, President and Founder of Bell's Brewery. Ask Me Anything!

Discussion in 'Ask Me Anything' started by LarryBell, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrentonWLangkamp

TrentonWLangkamp Initiate (54) Nov 6, 2013 Florida

What is the story behind Eccentric Ale Day? What is the weirdest costume you have dressed up in?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  2. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

3. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

maybe mine were so old it was prior to date stamping! LOL. On the Bell website they list packaging as being date stamped, the 4 pack I bought def was not date stamped.

4. Navalartichoke

Navalartichoke Aspirant (248) Nov 12, 2010 Virginia

Thanks for the hint. Bad news about Virginia. Looks like I have to get the old Dodge Charger tuned up and ready to fly! I wonder if Bo or Luke are still driving

5. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (673) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Larry, really enjoy your beer. Do you use GMO ingredients?

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,610) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Larry, it has been a number of years since you took legal action against Innovation Brewing (trademark issue as regards “Innovation”). Innovation Brewing fought this legal action and won.

After a period of time, for consideration: what are your thoughts about Bells Brewing suing the small brewery of Innovation Brewing? If you had the chance to do things differently, would you?

Cheers!

@Miles_in_beer_city

#286 JackHorzempa, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  7. Junior

Junior Crusader (715) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

That’s too bad. Salut au Monde, an Unfiltered Rustic Lager and VI in the series is fantastic.

PapaGoose03, ChicagoJ and zid like this.
  8. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (231) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Hahaha! Wow. :popcorn:
    Good thing you reminded him that they lost. He probably forgot...

#288 Ronmarley1, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (284) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Hey Larry, what happened to the hop slam this past year. Wasn't balanced with enough honey or the yeast might have been substituted with another. I really could tell a difference from past years cause the abv is usually hidden quite well especially poured into a goblet.

10. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (941) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Hi Larry, big fan of all things Bells. I just tried light hearted a few days ago and was very impressed for how much bigger it tastes than a 3.7% IPA. Ended up going back for two 6 packs to fill the fridge.

As far as BA expo goes, you've alluded to it being released this year. Can you shed any more light on a rough time frame on when it may be coming out?

Cheers

bluejacket74 likes this.
  11. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (235) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Very cool; my wife and I love ducks and I gave her a framed print of number 385 from the Ocatvo First Ed., Birds of America a few years ago, tell me you have one of the large format ones! :slight_smile:

12. tennisjoel

tennisjoel Initiate (30) Nov 21, 2007 Minnesota

Hi Larry, Bells has been a staple for me since I started my craft beer hobby back in the early 2000's. I very much look forward to both Hopslam and Third Coast Old Ale every year. One of the first beers I remember being blown away by was Batch 7000. And one of my favorite memories was attending Great Taste of the Midwest a number of years ago and having you pour Batch 6000 from a 3 liter bottle into our sampler glasses. I didn't even realize it was you until I asked someone who you were. Fun times indeed!

13. Douglas27Boyd

Douglas27Boyd Initiate (15) Mar 27, 2020 Canada

I'm from Ontario. Two Hearted Ale is the best value for your money craft beer in the USA. Since I currently cannot travel to Michigan, are there any plans to have your beer available at LCBO stores in my province, like Founders?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  14. zid

zid Meyvn (1,192) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Ahh, that explains this:
    [​IMG]
    (awesome)

15. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (728) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Larry, love your beer particularly Expedition and Third Coast, which seemingly have unlimited cellar potential. Apologies if this is too distribution specific but any idea why BA Expedition and Black Note were so hard to find in NE Ohio last year?

Best wishes for the future.

16. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (941) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Neither were made last year.

17. LuckFreeZone

LuckFreeZone Aspirant (251) Oct 24, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

I have a question.

Why does the taste (I assume it is not simply my perception of the taste) of Expedition Stout vary so much year to year? I know this is not a Bells only issue (Sierra Nevada Narwhal, Brooklyn BCS, etc.) are in the same boat.

I am curious if it is intentional (altering the recipe) or if it actually varies within the year and I am getting multiple six packs from the same batch or if is the water / hops / etc varying year-to-year or something else.

If it is intentional, whatever you did for the 2018 batch was awesome and I vote for that (I did not see 2019 locally).
    Thank you,

JEH

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (728) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

bluejacket74 likes this.
  19. Junior

Junior Crusader (715) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

2015 Expedition Stout and Third Coast Old Ale are at my local grocery store. Thank you.

20. runbirddrinkbeer

runbirddrinkbeer Initiate (158) Oct 24, 2009 Florida

It's a thing of beauty!

zid likes this.
  21. Billet

Billet Aspirant (215) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

I'll second that... I put Bell's Amber back into my regular rotation because of this post. I hadn't bought it in a while, and I had forgotten just how good it is. It reminds me of an ESB, another one of my favorite styles. Thanks!

PapaGoose03 and AlcahueteJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.