Imbibe Magazine: 50 Beers That Represent Each State The Best

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuniperJesus, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Well, that is a new one for me. I never knew that. Evolution did the same thing but on a much smaller scale (DE to MD, but a very short distance and more recently).

Then, for MD I gotta go with either Heavy Seas' Loose Cannon or Burley Oak's Aboriginal Gangster or their Rude Boy.

FantomeOpera and mcaulifww like this.
  2. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (496) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Well, I was thinking more that Heavy Seas has a better overall lineup. And again, since the criterion was supposed to be "best represents the state" there are probably a lot of beer drinkers who don't even know that Flying Dog is made in MD and no longer CO (see gillagorilla above). Then again, a lot of beer drinkers probably don't know where it's made at all.

3. geocool

geocool Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Well I can tell you that I've never had a pint of SABL that was advertised as having been brewed at the Jamaica Plain brewery, and I can't imagine how "in the know" you'd have to be to get one. But I have had many pints of Jack D'Or that were brewed in MA.

4. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

How does a mild bitter "start the hop craze"? That makes very little sense. And if SNPA started anything, Sam Adams started the whole craft business as a national enterprise (even though SN started earlier and some local beers were available by 1985). BBC was the first craft brewer with a sensible business plan. Everyone else was just treading water (or going under).
    That's drinking culture, not brewing culture.

5. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan

I'm not drinking any fucking Oberon! (Sorry, couldn't resist the Sideways quote)

joelwlcx, kwakwhore and deadonhisfeet like this.
  6. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

I thought they had always been in MD. I never knew they were from CO.

mcaulifww likes this.
  7. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,674) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

My thoughts exactly, but whoever wrote that list has obviously never had Bo and Luke from ATG. It would be nice if the Kentucky beer had something to do with Bourbon (just not BBA from Altech - please God no).

8. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,674) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Decent, but aren't there better beers to be found in New York? What about Ommegang or Southern Tier?

VictorWisc likes this.
  9. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

It's cause of the name they picked that beer. What about sixpoint? They have a lager. But it has the same kind of name as the "Cuse". You know "the Crisp."

deadonhisfeet and VictorWisc like this.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Dead- yes you are correct but utopia nailed it I think.

deadonhisfeet and utopiajane like this.
  11. deadxmastrees

deadxmastrees Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Washington

Only semi agree w/ ya mate - Pike's is kinda underrated but Elysian is a much better choice in my opinion...though I wouldnt of picked Dark o' the Moon. Thats just an odd choice. I woulda went with...well, pretty much anything but that one or their pumpkin ale. Probably one of their IPAs.

I'm thinking some seriously evil thoughts at the person above who said Yuengling for PA! If this was a list of which beer represents the best frat boy keg party than I might agree...
    Victory was def a good choice except Golden Monkey seems way more quintessential 'PA'.

12. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

That is a very good point actually.

Who would you pick then? I feel like the craft brew scene in TX is so new it's hard to pick one that represents the brewing culture. Shoot, most of the Dallas breweries I love didn't exist four years ago.

13. VictorWisc

Not being familiar with specifically TX breweries, I'll take a pass. But there are at least a couple that I understand to be worthy of mention. Jester King and Deep Ellum come to mind, then pick something from their lists.

14. elchicodelgado

Jester King wouldn't work because they make beer unlike any other in the state. I was tempted to pick Deep Ellum but refrained since I'm biased being 5 miles from them and I frequent their tours. I think they'd be a good pick however. They are young, ambitious and make a damn tasty beer. Actually, yeah, they'd be a good pick.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  15. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Disciple (364) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'd have been as happy to see an Evo beer chosen as representative of Maryland, but Flying Dog is the biggest. They move the most beer, and they have a few outstandings, just not the oyster stout...

Marvelous choice with Victory for PA, and any beer they make will do. (but a Shoutout to Troegs Nugget Nectar!)

16. VictorWisc

Just giving a quick look, there are plenty of well-liked brewpubs in Dallas and Austin and likely in other cities. Picking a pub-only beer actually might well go with Texas brewing culture. But I haven't been in Texas in more than 10 years, so someone else will have to make that choice.

17. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (318) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Summit Pale Ale is far from a bad choice for MN, so I'll give it a pass. Surprised it wasn't Furious though.

russpowell likes this.
  18. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,411) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Well, Saint Arnold and Real Ale have both been around for close to 20 years now. Live Oak at least 10. While the Texas beer beer scene is still relatively new, there are certainly worthy offerings that have been around for a while. Though the list as it stands is pretty meaningless without more info on how it was complied, or its purpose. Outside of just listing random beers from each state.

19. elchicodelgado

I shouldn't but I tend to minimize Saint Arnold's quality in my mind. I think I do that because it's so abundant here (like Shiner but not as much so). Mentally I separate it into great SA (BB, Pumpkinator, Endeavour) and blah SA (most of their stuff). I honestly didn't realize Real Ale and Live Oak are that old. That's crazy to me.

20. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (118) Feb 25, 2013 California

A few months back I was in the backwoods of western Slovenia in a tiny town bar, and they had Sierra Pale. So, I'll go along with that choice.

kwakwhore likes this.
  21. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (513) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Victory Prima Pils for PA, I get it to some extent. PA is the "Pilsner State" but there are much better offerings, of other styles from PA. Nugget Nectar? Trubble De Yards? Und...Und...Und UND STRAUBS MAI BOCK!!!!

22. beerranger

beerranger Initiate (73) Jan 10, 2013 Massachusetts

This list is shit! Vermont - Long Trail Ale? LOL 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :slight_frown:

23. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (882) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

You may be to young to remember but Anchor Liberty Ale & SNPA were hop forward before hop forward was a term.

ufmj, Spikester and champ103 like this.
  24. wborr82

wborr82 Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 Florida

Indeed. And Tampa is of course The Big Guava.

25. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (496) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Misunderstood your post, didn't I?

26. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

pretty shocked that massachusetts and vermont didnt get the obvious choices

27. VictorWisc

When they were "hop-forward" I was drinking Bass IPA and was wondering what all the hubbub was about. No, really, I've been around and drinking beer almost as long as those two have been around ("almost" stands for 1.5 years off).

28. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

really can't complain about the pick for VA. Devil's Backbone is a phenomenal brewery and their Vienna Lager is up there as one of the best beers I've ever had. For those who are interested, they make some other great beers that are more than worth checking out.

29. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,507) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

I came here to post this. Pretty Things Jack D'Or, while good, is pretty obscure compared to what is pretty much the best stand-by beer for everyone in MA (and probably most of the country) seeing as you can get SA BL in almost any bar. It's also one of the best examples of the style from ANY brewery. Weird choice not picking boston lager.

Dope

30. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (219) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

If the beer represents the state, I'd say anything from August Schells.

VictorWisc likes this.
  31. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,681) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Trader

They make beer in Arkansas? Learn something new every day.

32. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I don't even drink Dale's Pale Ale and I agree.

33. redhawk4686

redhawk4686 Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Ohio

Rockmill for Ohio? Shitty choice haven't even heard of them.... What about Fat Head's Head Hunter, Columbus Bodhi, or anything Hoppin' Frog!!!!

34. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,911) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

I remember living there & getting excited about Palmetto bottling, that was only 18 years ago, so they're (Arkansas) kind of catching up; give em time. Given what a bunch holy rollers was in SC back 95-96 & seeing the beer scene now as far as more urban areas, give me hope for Arkansas (at least the Northern half) & Oklahoma for that matter...

JISurfer likes this.
  35. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,747) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

No, I don't imagine BBC would advertise the Boston-brewed SABL as such - since typically any multi-site brewer stresses that the beer is the same, regardless of brewery of origin. I could see a local bar boasting of it, if it existed.

When I've read the comments (primarily here on BA) about the supposed superiority of the JP brewery's SABL, I've always assumed they were talking specifically about the beer served on the brewery tour. I've always been skeptical of the claim, especially since Boston Lager predated that brewery by half a decade or so. (Heck, I even thought the free Coors Banquet tasted pretty good in Golden, CO at the brewery. :wink:).

From the very beginning (circa 1989) of that "pilot brewery" built inside the old Haffenreffer plant, BBC has claimed that some of the beer brewed there was for the "local market" but I have no idea if that includes Boston Lager. Maybe some Boston area bar employees can weigh in on the topic. (I don't even know, does BBC self-distribute in the Boston area?)

36. ThomasAWilson2

ThomasAWilson2 Aspirant (236) Sep 23, 2012 Virginia

Virginia: Vienna Lager should be replaced by Alewerks Old Stitch I think... For a state that prides itself on history and it's place in America's birth, blah blah... Vienna is good, but not really representative of the state (which is sooo fvcking up to personal interpretation) lol

bushycook likes this.
  37. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Yeah, not pleased with Virginia's choice. Then again this is an internet list therefore I am contractually obligated to hate it no matter what so...

HattedClassic and djsmith1174 like this.
  38. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (341) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

That's not even the best beer from that brewery, let alone the entire state.

39. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Your avatar makes more sense now.

I mean it's not surprising that some people here will be into doom/black/death/plague/etc/etc -metal. But that seems to provide some context. Though, honestly, I'm no expert. I just saw a documentary once.

At any rate, I bet some awesome/horrifying stories could begin with "So, I was in the backwoods of western Slovenia..."

deadxmastrees likes this.
  40. Swik

Swik Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Indiana

No complaints for gumballhead in Indiana, just glad we got to claim them from Chicago!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.