Imperial IPAs and Grindcore Metal (Pig Destroyer, specifically)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JoeAC, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBilly666

LilBilly666 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Georgia

2. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Trader

WITTR rules

vkv822, JoeAC and jacksback like this.
  3. JeffTheJuice

JeffTheJuice Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Been trying to track down since he posted that haha. Seems to be a rather difficult find.

P.S. This thread is awesome.

UnknownKoger and JoeAC like this.
  4. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Initiate (154) May 24, 2007 New York

I heart DIPAs and grindcore ( well mostly hardcore - see avatar) and heartily approve of this thread.

robconoclast likes this.
  5. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Disciple (375) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

I used to love PXDX when I was younger, I may have to throw Prowler in the Yard on today.

6. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Disciple (375) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Sounds pretty kvlt!

7. jacksback

jacksback Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2011 Massachusetts

Posting again in an awesome thread.

And why is it not suprising that a good number of the new-ish pacific northwest black metal-ish bands like craft brews? Heck, I would be suprised if the guys from WITTR don't brew themselves. Would seem to make sense.

Low Gravity. Don't know anything about them other than being a superb stoner metal band... but Low Gravity is certainly something nice in a finished brew.

Carry on.

8. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (582) Jul 9, 2010 California

glad to see so many metalhead BA's

robconoclast likes this.
  9. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I like Rush and Metallica does that count? They can have the IPA's though, yuck..most of them.

LilBilly666 likes this.
  10. Carbon14

Carbon14 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2009 Maryland

I typically listen to Dillinger Escape Plan, or Meshuggah while brewing. So yeah, for me, metal and beer go hand in hand.

Murphey and robconoclast like this.
  11. OrificeBizarre

OrificeBizarre Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Texas

seriously no mention of Dave Witte on here? the drummer to Municipal Waste/Discordance Axis/Human Remains?
    dude posts nothing but awesome beers and a while back his 3f tattoo.

also, stouts and black metal, ipas and stoner, lagers and thrash...actually...anything and thrash ha ha ha

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  12. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Trader

I've seen Municipal Waste 4 times and keep forgetting to talk to him about beer after the shows.

Best live band. EVER.

13. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

yeah but municipal waste is garbage, tankard is a lot better even if they are only drinking barrels of henninger at a time

14. JeffTheJuice

JeffTheJuice Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

You forgot he was also in the super awesome Burnt By The Sun.

RyanLigeia and OrificeBizarre like this.
  15. Perducci

Perducci Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012 Arizona

I did a trip through the Pacific NW this summer. Bend, Portland, Seattle and it's not at all surprising anyone from that area loves craft beers because they are EVERYWHERE up there. The local bars all proudly carry the local brewers. It was awesome to be able to walk into any pub and see a ton of cool beers I'd never seen before. When Deschutes is the "worst case scenario", it's a good time.

Couple their geographic pride with "buy local" ideology and the quality of local brews and it's not shocking.

And to stay vaguely on topic, tonight I will be knocking back some IPA's (Odells, Ska Modus Hoperandi) while listening to the metal antithesis of Grindcore, Funeral(ish) Doom.... Faal, Evoken, Ahab...

16. mater

mater Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Ohio

I love metal and obviously craft beer. I'm not a big Pig Destroyer fan(seen them a few times live though). I still remember over twenty years ago flipping through the channels one night and coming across Headbangers Ball(with Riki Rachtman lol). Panteras Walk was playing followed by Chaos AD from Sepaltura and I thought both were badass. I joined Columbia House and BMG and started racking up the metal cds. I got Soul of a new machine by Fear Factory in one of my first shipments and loved it! Suuuffer Bastard!

Murphey and robconoclast like this.
  17. kraddel

kraddel Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2012 Belgium

hehe this link içs exaclty what i wanted to do with my bar, metal and good beer ( such as jester king black metal, black damnation, hel en verdoemenis,...) until i was stabed in the back and ended up broke and withoud a bar...but the dream lives on , and one day that bar WILL open !

OrificeBizarre likes this.
  18. kraddel

maybe this is a good place to ask this as well, cause i'm very intrested in this !
    who wants to help me make ( and collect ! ) a list of ' metal' beer ? nice artwork and names : so far i got at home :
    dark lord
    zombie dust
    black metal ( farmhouse )
    black damnation I-V and XI
    behemoth
    fade to black ( vol 3 )
    hel en verdoemenis ( and the 666 edition)
    hobgoblin

who has more? wanna trade this? or sent me empty's? or just give the name ( and if you know how to find em in belgium? )

JoeAC likes this.
  19. OrificeBizarre

OrificeBizarre Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Texas

rye'd the lightning
    ragnarok
    mastodon

20. kraddel

rye i've seartcht fore. found one but the shipping was 200 dollars :stuck_out_tongue: little much .. i've made a new threat for this , so its easier to see if the comment is for me or not !

21. jacksback

jacksback Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2011 Massachusetts

Indeed. I've gotten that idea from people I know in the Portland area.

And it is fascinating- not to mention just damn cool- to see that whole ethic creep into other areas. Buy local, drink good beer, said beer crafted with care, passion, and local ingredients.

And then you have bands, again like WITTR, that take that ethic to impressive levels.

While I tend to not like stouts in the summer, it's tough when cranking something like black or doom metal to NOT want a dark, brooding, heavy beer.

One of the better genre/band descriptions I've ever heard- Ahab, "nautical funereal doom metal".

22. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Zealot (531) Sep 2, 2009 California

I thought the logical conclusion was bearded d00ds love sub-genres and minority business shares. Pfft, what do I know? :stuck_out_tongue:

23. JoeAC

JoeAC Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Illinois

behemoth

Whenever I see the word "Behemoth," (or drink it; I have a bomber in the fridge right now) I go back to the old Tad song. Check it out. Not quite metal, but a great tune.

bushycook likes this.
  24. JoeAC

JoeAC Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Illinois

Saw Pantera and White Zombie on the same bill in Chicago once. Very good show. Many years ago. Long before my craft beer days...

25. robconoclast

robconoclast Initiate (96) Jun 22, 2012 Ohio

Last August we kept buying Yob rounds of Dortmunder. They still played a great set...but were defanitely buzzed at the end of the set. If you are ever in Cleveland at Now That's Class for a show they have a great selection of microbrews and vary their tap selection. Was drinking Oak Arrogant Bastard last Sunday while watching some doom bands....and the Genessee Cream Ale as the night went on.

26. RyanLigeia

RyanLigeia Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2011 North Carolina

I was pumped when I saw that video! Not only because Pig Destroyer is putting out another record but because of the whole fridge thing, I didn't even think to post it on here. Good call man.

27. stabbingcontest

stabbingcontest Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2010 Massachusetts

i agree, BUT, a month or so ago i went and saw Phobia and was dismayed to see myself, my girlfriend, and a buddy of mine as the only people enjoying craft beer in a sea of PBR tallboys...

28. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (636) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

I'm not a big metal fan but Witte is an awesome guy and is a true Advocate wherever he goes.

29. pixieskid

pixieskid Crusader (787) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Probably a reference to the "Cascadian Dark Ale"...

30. LilBilly666

LilBilly666 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Georgia

I found a shop in another town about 2 hours away from me that has 5 or 6 of these hanging around.

31. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012
    Deactivated

I would like to get my hands on that minestrone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.