Imperial Stout Appreciation Thread (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Resistance88, May 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sulldaddy

sulldaddy (1,433) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Well its Wednesday, not normally a drinking night, but no more work for the week, so here we are! After doing the spatchcocking of the turkey...which is just fun to say...or type. I believe Ive earned a beer or two tonight! This is Front Porch Brewing from Wallingford CT and their Imperial Stout with donuts, Neil's Donut French toast Style Imp Stout. At 10% its pretty serious, and I expect it to be seriously sweet. So cover your eyes @Resistance88 this is gonna be a doozy I believe! Cross posted in the what Northeast beer are you drinking thread.

onto my review:
    [​IMG]
    I am sampling a cold 16 oz can poured into my trusty snifter. Ive had this beer in the fridge for a while and had forgotten about it to be honest. Date stamp is 4/1/2022. 10% ABV so should be fine. Its been in fridge too not just cellar.
    The beer pours a rich deep brown color sort of like a cola. a dense tan head of 1 cm foams up and fades to a sturdy edge layer soon after the pour. a few small islands of foam also float around the surface.
    The aroma on this one is sweet! I get baked donut dough, maple syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar on the nose. No hop character and I dont get any booziness either. Big sweet beer from the nose, fits the expectations from the can.
    First sip reveals a medium body with very fine and almost sharp prickly carbonation. The texture is smooth and not sticky at all. Drinks very easy on physical traits.
    Flavor is similar to the nose. I get some light milk chocolate notes here though, then other similar flavors. Cinnamon, maple syrup, brown sugar. The cinnamon lingers after each swallow. I dont get hops at all, but do get a bit of warming on the swallow.
    Solid pastry stout, but I would be overwhelmed with sweetness if I had more than two cans at best.
    4.22 in the BA DB

BMBCLT, basaywhat, MadMadMike and 9 others like this.
  2. Argail

Argail (731) Dec 19, 2019 Louisiana

3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi (2,103) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ten7 Brewing (North Wales, PA) - Year 2. They just re-brewed some of their past beers for their recent 4th anniversary. Brewed with cocoa nibs and vanilla. Nice flavor but a little sweet for my flavor.
    [​IMG]

4. Blogjackets

Blogjackets (1,005) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Coffee and Founders Breakfast Stout. Cheers!

[​IMG]

5. Resistance88

Resistance88 (739) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Good Day Brother!

I will be joining y'all soon. Just can't figure out WTF to drink...everything in my current possession is over 10%:crazy_face:

ESHBG, BigIronH, adrock314 and 3 others like this.
  6. Resistance88

Trader

And here it is....

I forgot i got this in a box yesterday...
    Courtesy of @arizcards
    Didn't wanna buy a whole box of variants i don't want and Tom was nice enough to send me this one from his box!
    [​IMG]

7. Blogjackets

Society Trader

Doesn’t sound like a problem to me. Like having too much fun! :slight_smile:

8. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,774) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout Fourteen 2021, 13.2% ABV, my last BCBS. Until tomorrow. Fourteen is a remake of 2014 Proprietor's.

[​IMG]

9. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 (1,343) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Cask - Lough Gill

[​IMG]

Straight up Milk Stout, with mild yet distinct charred malt. The whiskey is subtle, the coffee is spot-on, dark chocolate, very faint sourness. Warmth brings vibrance to the aroma and flavor. Dense body, viscus, soft carbonation, abv. is high without any heat.

Happy Thanksgiving! Prost :beers:

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 11 others like this.
  10. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 (1,683) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Séance, a rye imperial stout aged in bourbon and peated whiskey barrels. 12% ABV. Collaboration between Bottleworks, Ravenna, and Full Throttle. Great stout! Tons of tobacco, peat, dark chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and bourbon. Nice layer of rye spice as well.

[​IMG]

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 12 others like this.
  11. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy (1,287) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

12. Resistance88

Trader

Its sister in Laws bday today so we're in a largely Non American side of town waiting for food. Decolonizing our diets![​IMG]

13. jmdrpi

jmdrpi (2,103) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanksgiving Nightcap. For the night before the 2022 release of Free Will Brewing's Ralphius, I am drinking my penultimate bottle of 2021 variants.

2021 Two Year Baker's Bourbon Barrel Aged Ralphius. 15.7% abv. Label indicates it was a 7 year Baker's Bourbon barrel.

[​IMG]

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 13 others like this.
  14. sulldaddy

Society Trader

Shared a beer at Thanksgiving. Had a few others, but wasnt focused on notes or taking pictures after this one. This is Bananas Foster Dark Matter aged in Rum barrels. 15.7%!

onto my reivew:
    [​IMG]

Had this beer at the end of Thanksgiving Dinner. Shared with mother in law who enjoyed it. I picked up the bottle at the brewery in October 2021 and its been in my cellar since then.
    Im pouring cellar temp into my trusty snifter. The beer pours a jet black color into my glass and I get minimal tan head that is dense, but doesnt stick around long.
    Aroma is boozy, not rum but general hot booze, a good amount of ripe banana and some dark chocolate too. No hop notes on the nose.
    First sip reveals a lighter body than expected and gentle carbonation with an almost slick texture. The beer drinks very easy and that is dangerous at 15%!! Its almost a little too thin for a big imperial stout.
    Flavor is much less boozy and is dark chocolate some ripe banana, a bit of caramel and roasted malts. No hops show up here either. There is still some warmth on the finish.
    This beer is fine, its a bit boozy which makes sense, the rum barrel doesnt come through to me too much, which is fine as I dont love rum. I dont think I would buy this variant again if given the chance.

3.87 in the BA DB

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 8 others like this.
  15. Resistance88

Trader

Hope to try this one one day. Cheers brotha

Luscious_Malfoy, BigIronH and jmdrpi like this.
  16. Resistance88

Trader

Strike two for you mister!:stuck_out_tongue:

17. BMBCLT

BMBCLT (1,061) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

@FBarber, so I just heard back from New Image. 9505 is aged on Amburana wood and it doesn't contain any cassia or cinnamon. Figured it was Amburana, after reading your review/notes.

Cheers!

18. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

22 isaac newton, 22 coffee and 22 30th anniversary reserve. cheers!

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 12 others like this.
  19. Resistance88

Trader

20. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

cherry wood BCBS. let’s see those stout pours, people!!

BMBCLT, basaywhat, adrock314 and 11 others like this.
  21. Resistance88

Trader

Cheers @Luscious_Malfoy
    Who the hell needs that overpriced BCBS Coffee when Parabajava is half the price!?
    [​IMG]

22. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

would very much like to revisit parabajava. last time i had it was from a bomber. never seen it in my neck of the woods anymore.

23. Resistance88

Trader

Beer Mail from @Beer_Economicus
    Will open this on New Years Eve
    Never had anything from SP and this fuckin beer os an inside joke with me and a buddy...gonna have to switch the joke to KBBS now
    [​IMG]

24. FBarber

FBarber (1,797) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Fantastic information - thank you!

25. BMBCLT

BMBCLT (1,061) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

You're welcome!

Should probably add it in the Notes.

26. ESHBG

ESHBG (552) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

SN Narwhal - I set one aside in the fridge to put a few months on it to see how much it would change, bottled on 09/02. It's really hard to believe that the months have flown by already, as I feel like I just bought this...

The verdict: it has lost much of the hoppy bite and while still there just a tad, it's a supporting flavor now vs more of the main event. The roastiness/sweetness is more pronounced on both the nose and the taste and the coffee and chocolate-y notes come through better and it ends more like a traditional IS now, and this beast fresh vs aged is definitely a different animal...and I'm more of a fan of the aged version I think. Budmo!

27. Blogjackets

Society Trader

A big bitter stout. Delicious! Cheers,
    [​IMG]

28. arizcards

arizcards (1,473) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Giving my first re-visit to this Founders dessert beer. Dangerously drinkable for sure!
    Cheers!
    Tom

[​IMG]

29. Argail

Argail (731) Dec 19, 2019 Louisiana

30. MadMadMike

MadMadMike (599) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

2022 BCBS Coffee Stout.
    It’s nice, I don’t think it’s as overall decadent and full flavored as the 2017 Coffee Stout.

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, Btip1969 and 14 others like this.
  31. bbtkd

Society Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout 2022, 13.2% ABV. Pours thick and extremely dark brown with a half-finger light-brown head that left no lacing. Nose is coffee and bourbon. Taste is roasty coffee, slight chocolate, faintly sweet, moderately bitter. Great thick and smooth mouthfeel. Overall world-class. The coffee flavor doesn't get lost behind coffee bitterness as many/most coffee stouts do.

4.65/5 rDev -0.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll have to pick more of this up, only have four more.

[​IMG]

32. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 (694) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG] Tired Hands, “Only Void 2022” Imperial Stout!

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, ESHBG and 12 others like this.
  33. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 (444) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

We need rankings here, Malfoy!!!! These are critical times!

34. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

coffee is always a favorite of mine (when they do it as straight coffee). no complaints about 2022 besides that it poured kind of barleywine brown..

i enjoyed isaac way more than i thought i would. don’t typically care for fruit in stout but this worked. a little thinner than normal BCBS but had this holiday/ christmas flavor and aroma to it.

30th was good. lots of barrel. if i had a bottle i would sit on it another 6-8 months.

BigIronH, adrock314, DIM and 6 others like this.
  35. VodkaPong87

Trader

Ok so I decided to do the OG first as a control for the rest. 2020 is my favorite vintage I’ve had (2016-2022) and I had one on Tuesday night, so it’s fresh. 2022 is thinner, has more carb, more coconut, far less chocolate, less anise, less leather/tobacco, and less caramel/toffee. Heard amazing things about the 2022 base, but it’s nowhere near 2020. I ask someone here to drink a 2020 sometime this week and let me know what they think. Cheers!

[​IMG]

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, Btip1969 and 15 others like this.
  36. VodkaPong87

Trader

Alright, it’s gotten better as its warmed up. Very good, but 2020 still king for me

37. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

liked this better than i thought i would. the cherry brandy barrel and the vanilla work well together.

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, BigIronH and 12 others like this.
  38. sulldaddy

Society Trader

Im sharing another imperial stout here. Fewer adjuncts this time, just a coffee imperial stout from 2nd Shift brewing in Missouri. Beer is part of a large swap with @Beer_Economicus Thank you!
    this is an 11.5% brew. My last beer of the night for sure.

onto my review:
    [​IMG]

Sampling a cellar temp 12 oz can poured into my snifter. Date stamp is 11/20/21...I think, its blurry.

the beer pours a jet black color with no light passing through the glass. A dense creamy beige head foams up about 2 cm and rests on the surface of the beer. This foam sticks around through most of the sampling of this beer. Nice staying power.
    Aroma is dark chocolate, roasted malt notes and a bit of earthy hops. There is also some dry roast coffee notes in the nose as well. No hint of the booze level.
    First sip reveals a medium body with mild yet tingly carbonation. Almost spacious. Texture is smooth and does bit of a coating on my palate.
    Flavor is roasted malt and coffee with hints of brown sugar. The coffee is what comes back on the finish and lingers a bit after each swallow. Not a sweet imperial stout and no hop notes and the booze is well hidden too.
    A pretty decent coffee imperial stout, nothing overwhelming or crazy complex, but enjoyable and delivers what to expect from the label.

4.12 in the BA DB

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, BigIronH and 12 others like this.
  39. bbtkd

Society Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Sir Isaac's Stout, 13.9% ABV. Pours thick and dark brown with a 1+ finger light-brown head that left no lacing. Nose is sweet fig and graham. Taste follows, quite sweet, slightly bitter. Decent thick mouthfeel, overall outstanding.

4.46/5 rDev -1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

BMBCLT, Nugganooch, Btip1969 and 13 others like this.
  40. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 (694) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG] Grimm, “Popol Vuh” Imperial Stout. Aged in rum barrels with cacao nibs, Ceylon and Cassia cinnamon and Ancho Chiles! This tastes like Kraken rum with an ever so slight Ancho Chile “nip “ on the back end!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.