Impromptu whale day tomorrow (Wednesday)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by eatabagofbooger, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I finally landed my personal whale a couple of months ago (thanks rowingbrewer!). I find that many of my highly desired beers sit in the cellar way too long, sometimes going past their prime, as I wait for that "special occasion" to open them. I've sat on this one long enough waiting for that day, and decided that I would rather make tomorrow a special occasion with this beer than wait for the right day to open it. Sure, it's a random weekday, and the weather isn't really conducive to the style, and yadda yadda yadda, screw the excuses I'm gonna open it tomorrow and enjoy the hell out of it!

So if you're looking for an excuse to open that personal whale that you've been eying in your cellar, feel free to join me in celebrating an impromptu whale day tomorrow, and be sure to share the results in this thread!

Oh, and if anyone is curious, my personal whale is Bourbon County Rare. Sure there's harder to find stuff that commands a higher trade value, but this is THE beer I've wanted to try for ages and spent quite a while acquiring the requisite trade ammo for. I'm stoked!!!

skipjack17, zrab11 and Rutager like this.
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

You DRINK whalez? dafuq!?

Phillyz, stupac2 and crosamich like this.
  3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

I'm coming to Portland next week -- wait for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

4. danimalthegreat

danimalthegreat Initiate (139) Feb 19, 2013 Texas

Not quite a whale but I'll drink a 2011-2013 vertical of Real Ale's Sisyphus tonight for this. I figure a San Antonio area beer will bring good fortune to the Spurs tonight as well.

5. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Dang-maybe I am doing this wrong. It looks like I'm the only one drinking their whale tonight. Oh well, I'm happier with this beer in my belly than in my cellar.

Bourbon County Brand Rare: Nice hiss when I pop the cap, but even a hard pour produces very little head. Pours jet black and thick as hell, though. The smell permeates the room, too. Boozy, but in an inviting way. It tastes a lot like regular BCBS (not that that's a bad thing!). The more Pappy aged beers I have, the more I realize that it really is a very distinct flavor. I'm pretty surprised by this, as I could never tell the difference between barrel aged beers aged with different brands of bourbon before. I can't describe the particular flavor, and it's not as distinct as some other Pappy aged beers I've had (eg Old Rabbit's Foot, various Block 15 offerings), but it's definitely there. The flavors are mostly bourbon, vanilla, oak, and fudge. This seems to hit the best balance between aged and fresh bcbs. Fresh bcbs has an oomph I enjoy, but is a bit ragged and harsh in it's booziness, while aged bcbs is incredibly smooth and fudgy, but a little thin and weak in comparison. This one is really smooth, but packs a real punch. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of landing another bottle, but I'm stoked I got to try it once, and consider it well worth the effort and expense.

I'd also like to reiterate-beer is better in a glass at your side or in your belly than hanging out in the cellar!

6. Bluecane

I guess the Dragon's Milk I had in the afternoon doesn't count :(

7. zrab11

zrab11 Crusader (753) Dec 25, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

WISH I would of seen this thread earlier.. I would of loved to Join you on this.. Sounds just like what I need. Got too many great brews sitting in my cellar waiting for that perfect occasion which isn't coming.... Well Glad you got your whale and enjoyed it.. Sry I saw this to late to do it.. But love the Idea man!

8. Bluecane

Cracked a Cafe Royale tonight. Not a whale by any stretch, but still one of my favorites!

Phillyz likes this.
  9. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Initiate (194) Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Rare is a whale, don't short change it. I felt similar to you though, it was a treat but I wouldn't seek it out again. Rare was brewed in 2008 before being dumped into the barrels, maybe it's a little past its prime.

10. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (490) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Pics or we don't believe you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.