In Defense of Public Drinking

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, May 18, 2019.

1. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,270) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I drink in public on the reg. My neighborhood owns the road so there is no public property and I can drink a beer and walk my dog and nobody blinks an eye. My neighbor across the street is a cop. The county I work in also doesn't have open container laws so there's that too :slight_smile:

I feel like the same people who look down on public drinking also watch their kids overdose on drugs. Because they never taught them anything.

readyski and Warwick7 like this.
  2. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (35) May 25, 2019 Maryland

Just use a ceramic or metal cup.

cavedave likes this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Thanks I’ll check out them out.

4. RyanK252

RyanK252 Poo-Bah (1,874) May 18, 2014 California
    Trader

Can confirm. Summit beers are the best!

readyski likes this.
  5. Reef

Reef Zealot (565) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

[​IMG]
    The home brewers in my neighborhood close down a street for a DIY pot luck Oktoberfest on a Saturday evening. We are grateful for @herrburgess ' events, as well.

6. Warwick7

I am the same way when I go to the park or a nature area, Ale goes great with it. I have had times where I said no I shouldnt do it, its such stupid thing to get caught for but unless you get seen pouring it in your cup i dont see how this law is enforcable. Even if you get caught its just a fine that doesnt show on your on your record or atleast I think thats the case in Maryland.

This law coddles young people and punishes them simultaneously. It forces them to drink and drive unless they have a bar in walking distance or they got a DD or cab. Where i am sure you are more likely to drink more. I want to do the right thing, but punished for drinking in a park or walking down the street with no signs off ill conduct? Thats way to far.

alucard6679 likes this.
  7. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (678) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

I really enjoyed legal public drinking in NYC in the eighties and nineties. The only stipulation was it needed to be in brown bag. Hence the "brown bag law"-

8. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (191) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

"Brown Bagging it" was always a good time in my college days, whether it was legal or not (it definitely was not)

9. Claude-Irishman

Society

I would not be surprised if we were at some of the same shows-

10. Claude-Irishman

Society

I don't know what year you went to college. I lived in NYC for a long time and it was most definitely legal if not fully condoned- Did it hundreds of times in plain view of the police-

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  11. AWA

AWA Aspirant (222) Jul 22, 2014 California

My town is fairly accepting of public drinking, as long as you aren't a jackass about it. I openly walk my dog with a beer almost everyday, and say hi to any cops I see. But if I was being loud or littered said beer can or bottle, they'd ticket me at the very least immediately. It works well, and people hardly ever cause any issue.

Warwick7 likes this.
  12. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

This seems to be the norm most places. If you're being a normal and calm human person, no one is really trippin about what you are drinking. I think most often the open intox/public intoxication laws are just used to add some baggage onto a general 'disorderly conduct' type scenario or if you've got a real problem with the cops

13. AWA

Absolutely. Although our police will come down on tourist like a brick from hell, but only with a ticket. It's really more of a tourist tax than law enforcement.

stevepat likes this.
  14. Warwick7

id love to know if thats the case in my town but i dont want to find out he hard way

stevepat likes this.
  15. AWA

Just go for it. By the 4th of 5th beer it will seem like a great idea.

16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I wonder how many times someone has taken this advice before executing what turned out to be a really bad idea.

Warwick7 likes this.
  17. AWA

Really bad is relative.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I was speaking generally.

Drinking in public isn't a bad idea at all. Hell, as I said before, I doubt a cop would even recognize a craft beer as a beer anyways, looks more like an energy drink.

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,012) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Often preceded with the statement of "Let me show you something!".:astonished:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. GunNut37086

GunNut37086 Initiate (39) Apr 5, 2019 Tennessee

Where I'm from, it's hard to go swimming w/out some jacka$$ pi$$ing in the pool.

I'd love to be able to walk around town and socialize while having a beer or 2. I'm not so optimistic many here could do so w/out being rowdy, obnoxious, and belligerent even before they cross the line from drinking in public to drunk in public.

21. AWA

This thread really got me thinking. Aside from work, I don't think I've left the house without a beer in my hand for the last week. So to the OP, thanks. Sometimes I forget how sweet life is.

22. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Aspirant (267) Jan 11, 2015 New Mexico
    Society

Not anymore. Frenchman has almost been completely gentrified. The best beer bar/club is the Quarter is there (DBA - great selection, but not always fresh). The best beer store is there, too. And one of the best restaurants, Dat Dog, has an outpost.

But these days, especially for holidays, Frechnman is very heavy with tourists. And gutter punks.

23. TheInsomniac

Society

I ate nothing but po boys at every meal for a solid week once to try to find the best po boy in town. Parkway's roast beef is solid, but it was only a top five for me. Parasol's has the best roast beef, bar none. And my friends who I have taken to try them have all agreed that Parasol's is better than Parkway. And their firecracker shrimp is bar none for a shrimp po boy if you like spice.

Unfortunately, news is that they're about to lose their liquor license.

24. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (357) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Lol dat dog is one of the best restaurants. Everyone has different likes. I say parkway, someone else says Mahoney's, r&o, domilise, the corner store, etc etc. Or a muff

TheInsomniac likes this.
  25. TheInsomniac

Society

None are as good as Parasol's. Domilise's is just plain. Mahony's is tasty, but they're not so traditional. R&Os? Bleh. I never had anything in Metairie that was within spitting distance of the same from the city.

The last time my friend visited me we hit Parasol's for her first dinner (it was the third time she visited us, so it was her request). And then we stopped back by on the way out of town so she could take some to go to eat on the plane. That's commitment right there.

26. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (357) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Haha I get it, you like Parasol's poboys.

27. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (496) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

As I have tried to remind fellow BAs, let's not paint all Christians/Churches/Denominations with the same broad brush.

Generally, with a few exceptions, it is the British-based denominations that are against the consumption of alcohol: Baptists, Methodists and, yes, Puritans.

The European continental churches, e.g. Catholics, Lutherans and their spinoffs have never been opposed to drinking alcohol.

stevepat likes this.
  28. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I am speaking to the general attitude of American churches

29. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,269) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

Beer gardens, large open beer halls and outdoor beer patios are amazing. They're also few and far between in most places.

I think part of the problem is America's conservative nature compared to European nations (not a political statement just a fact). Beer with lunch in Europe is like coffee with breakfast. Beer with lunch here makes you a lush.

Some people will find a way to ruin anything.

spersichilli likes this.