In LA area for a couple of days, your must do brewery list.

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by plagtr2, Mar 11, 2018.

1. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (199) Jan 20, 2016 California
    Trader

I would say skip noble and hit up either green cheek or one of the two bruery locations (terruex generally has a better tap list at all times)

Yabu and Rbarnes4381 like this.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (738) Jul 1, 2009 California

Yes and no. Depending on time do one of the Bruery’s location and then over to Green Cheek. But don’t skip Noble. Noble’s might be going through some drama right now, but it’ll be worth a visit to use their parking lot and then walking over to A stadium. Who knows, you might get lucky inside the tasting room and get a good batch. It ain’t the worst out there in OC and LA area.

3. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (267) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Can you explain what is going on at Noble? Also, I will be spending the weekend in S.D. if it makes a difference for going to the Bruery. Any great beer bars/restaurants with a sampling of the area’s best?

4. lanedlr

lanedlr Aspirant (276) Jul 2, 2014 California

Not OP but I think most will agree that Noble is riding on past success. The head brewer responsible for the Shower series, I Love It, Tongue Tickles, Naughty Sauce etc. left over a year ago to start Green Cheek.

Since then Noble has been mediocre and the staff has been a bit of a revolving door.

HopHead89, pro100, j47paco and 3 others like this.
  5. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (199) Jan 20, 2016 California
    Trader

I would say the bruery is a must. There is something for everyone there these days. Their menus are up to date (for the most part) either on their website or Untappd. They have (always had) a few weird things but the terruex tasting room has more taps and brusicles. Which is the best thing to happen to the bruery in a few years. And you can get a crowler if any beer.
    But to comment on @dcgunman if you can park
    At noble then walk to the stadium, hell yes. Save some money and get a buzz started.

fegelFatso, Yabu and dcgunman like this.
  6. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (511) Jun 9, 2011 California

ISO Ohtani bobblehead :slight_smile:

Nbrock24 likes this.
  7. Nbrock24

Trader

Haha I’m guessing they are limited so our brewery activities pregame mean I’m probably going empty handed haha

fegelFatso and AlexM like this.
  8. thuey

thuey Aspirant (215) Nov 13, 2015 California

I'm gonna get crap for this but I don't care. As a NorCal guy who has been visiting LA area pretty often for beer in the last few years...

- Casa Agria is the best I've had for their sours/saisons. I'm not a fan of their hazy IPAs, which seem a bit amateurish.
    - Monkish is severely overrated for their hoppy beers unless you can get cans and sit on them for a month (every fresh pale ale/IPA/DIPA I get on tap I don't enjoy). The one thing I'd say is their hoppy beer mouthfeel is unmatched. I'm just not a fan of how they taste though. But their sours are actually decent and they don't get enough credit for them. I don't find their Belgians compelling nor their dark beers, personally.
    - Mumford Brewing is probably my favorite all around. They do a lot of different styles and are pretty competent, if not quite good in their attempts. Hell I find their NEIPAs far more drinkable than Monkish.
    - Highland Park at the Hermosillo is a pretty chill spot. I only tried a few samplers of their stuff and thoroughly enjoyed their Saisons. Their hoppy stuff is decent too.

Should also mention that depending on the beer, I love or dislike Cellador. Either way, I can't wait until they open up a taproom :slight_smile:

9. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (503) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

even decent enough to win gold at GABF

LocestLXCX and BeersandBread like this.
  10. dcgunman

Long story short....Year 1 > terrible
    Year 2-6 > couldn’t get enough from these guys.
    Year 7+ > in the process of expansion with little or no movement.
    I still stop in the tasting room (after stopping at Green Cheek) for a pint or 2 before walking over to A Stadium, A Pond or the Grove of A. The beers at Noble ain’t bad. It just ain’t the same. But it’s still a good place to get your buzz on before the game or a gig.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  11. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (59) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

They're not BAD. But they're not getting better or worse, either. I guess the controversy in regards to actual beer is pretty low, IMHO. Kind of like Smog, except they're doing great.

12. dcgunman

Lol. Remember the glory days of Bootleggers (OG)? I guess they still got their locals who stop in and buy their sh!te.

schuey1010 and Kenny_Powers like this.
  13. dcgunman

Who’s your go to or must have up in NorCal or CentralCal?

14. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Initiate (197) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

I'm not disagreeing but that's not really feasible for a someone's who's staying in LA.

15. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,005) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

I predict @thuey will say Cellarmaker.

16. thuey

thuey Aspirant (215) Nov 13, 2015 California

Must-Have:
    • Cellarmaker - All styles. They make my favorite hoppy beer, but they are severely underrated in their dark beers. And if their budding sour program is anything like Sour Project #1, 4:1 Peach, and their various Lost Wisdom variations, then we're in for a real treat in the next few years.
    • Sante Adairius Rustic Ales - Saisons, sours, hops (underrated in this dept. I think they make better IPAs than Fieldwork, Alvarado, Barebottle, etc.)
    • Moonraker - King of NEIPA on the West Coast, if you ask me. But I do think their profile is quite different than Monkish and Great Notion.
    Interesting for... reasons:
    • Anchor Brewing - Check out their guided tour/tasting. Maybe not the greatest beer in the world anymore, but worth it for their history in the craft beer world, and my tour was left by a cicerone so he was super knowledgeable - and totally gave us unlimited sample pours at the end
    • Admiral Maltings - A craft malting plant, with a taproom featuring breweries who make beer with their malt. I don't think they do tours yet, but they said they were going to in the future. But I love how they have about 20 beers on tap, and tell you which malts were featured in them. The forgotten ingredient. Also, it's about 20 steps away from Almanac's flagship brewery and taproom for more drinking.

Nbrock24, dcgunman and JayORear like this.
  17. dcgunman

Right on. :beers:

18. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I actually had less than five beers from Bootlegger's, and I'm not sure what the backstory is. I recently stopped by O.G. Smog (because I was hoping Chip Shot was on tap and on growler fills, against hope) and I thought the beers were pretty good. Like, still above other local establishments. And it was packed, and you can tell they still get tons of foot traffic even from non-regulars.

19. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Zealot (597) Mar 10, 2013 California

Chip Shot is not often on the board there and I've only seen it on for fills once (and, yes, I took full advantage!!! :grin:).

I like giving my money to this brewery, fwiw. Good people!

Black_Rider likes this.
  20. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (69) Jun 21, 2014 California

Had a Bootlegger's Red at a 4th party and was pleasantly surprised. (Don't usually like reds and had never heard of Bootlegger's.)

Nice and hoppy, smooth finish, well balanced.

21. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I completely regret not being in town for Chip Shot fills. It's probably my absolute favorite beer from Smog City. And I really do not like Chocolate and Orange together in other circumstances.

Also, I think they had it for fills at the LB Steelcraft too.

22. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (96) Jun 23, 2013 California

This! I second all of these!

23. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (96) Jun 23, 2013 California

I miss the Yum Yum beers and think they are riding the haze train a little too much!

24. Nbrock24

Trader

We are thinking about doing Beachwood/Belmont for lunch today. Any thoughts on those places and specific beers we should try? Thanks as always

JayORear likes this.
  25. JayORear

Premium Trader

Can't speak for Belmont, but I can't imagine why you would go there over Beachwood, one of the best breweries in SoCal by far. Drink literally any of their beers, and have the BBQ Chicken Nachos for lunch. Right now their tap list is great--I would definitely have Hop Ninja and Mocha Machine, then take a 4-pack of Citraholic home with you.

26. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP Belmont. Get the fabled Tachos. Nachos but sub tater tots.

There is also the lunch special at BW.

R1c0rtez and Nbrock24 like this.
  27. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Initiate (197) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

I like Belmont's food, and the view is nice. The tomato soup comes in a tasty pot pie crust. Their beer is ok, mainly because there are worse places in SoCal. IMO Belmont is the place you take family members or significant others to as the beer scene is fairly casual.

Beachwood has them beat in most areas, but I'd say take the Almagamator over Citraholic if only getting 1 4 pack. If you're going on your own I'd definitely go here. Don't forget blendery is just on other side of the block, but I don't think they're open until mid afternoon.

Black_Rider likes this.
  28. JayORear

Premium Trader

Yes, 4pm.

29. dcgunman

Skip Belmont and hit up Long Beach Beer Lab after Beachwood LB. It’s a couple of mile north of BWLB.

30. dcgunman

Yes Belmont’s view is nice. I can say the same for Ballast Point LB. But I don’t go to BPLB either.

JayORear likes this.
  31. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (503) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Malgy for life

j47paco, SoCalBeerIdiot and JayORear like this.
  32. OTB

OTB Devotee (406) Sep 2, 2011 California

As a long time Belmont Shore resident I cannot recommend BBC for beer, it's serviceable but like others have said the food is fine and they have by far the best view/location of any local brewery other than Ballast Point. I dream someone like a Beachwood would swoop in and take over the BBC location, it's a goldmine. Hell I'll even offer discounts on the design if someone moves in that I support.

Cheers,

33. thenodnarb

thenodnarb Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2018 California

I second the Long Beach Beer Lab recommendation. (Obv Beachwood #1 though.)

34. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Yeah the food is pretty decent. And if it's a nice day, it's a great spot, for sure.

35. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (79) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

I feel a bit bad about parking in their lot for a game... Does anyone know if you can street park near Noble without being towed?

36. Nbrock24

Trader

Their website openly invites you to park there for the game so I think you can do this without any guilt

37. dcgunman

Maybe the walk over to the stadium is too far for him/her?

38. Nbrock24

Trader

Not sure how you’d get that from his or her statement. In any case, I really did enjoy the Citra Showers draft I had

39. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (79) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

Oh, I had no idea that this was on their website; I had assumed that they had to be a little irritated by people parking at their place for games! As a Ducks season ticket holder, this is a goddamned game-changer!

Nbrock24 likes this.
  40. schuey1010

schuey1010 Initiate (123) Jun 18, 2009 California

THIS is what I wanted to know. I have never been but know that many lots around sporting events aren't real keen to you takin their sports for 3/4 hours while you are not a paying customer. Very cool of them, and I will make a point to go support if I am down that way.

Nbrock24 likes this.