In Los Angeles for the weekend - what beers should I look for?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Krice99, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krice99

Krice99 Initiate (132) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

I am from Chicago and would like to try out some locally available IPAs. We are staying at the Westin Bonaventure

2. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Go find some 4pks of Moden Times - City of the Sun (look for the 2-5 canning date on the bottom of the can). Super juicy, tastes almost identical to Sip of Sunshine from Lawson's (if not better). Also if you're looking for something stronger check out Power Plant Triple IPA from El Segundo. Little more boozy @ 11.1% but still delicious. Think latest batch was 2-5 as well (or right around there). Also I think Smog City just put one out as well but forget the name. Heard some stuff from Noble Ale Works is dropping this weekend or this coming week as well. I'm sure the locals could probably point you towards more good stuff too.
    Cheers man and have a great visit!

3. taylordane

taylordane Initiate (137) Dec 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Whole Foods is probably the easiest. Lot of local fresh IPAs. Highlights on Noble Ale (Tongue Tickles), Smog City (Amarilla Gorilla), and anything fresh from Modern Times. Tons of other great options too. Enjoy!

4. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (186) Apr 27, 2010 California

Whole foods is about 3-4 blocks down from you. Nice selection of local stuff. Also Buzz wine and beer is also close but their pricing is a little more than average.

5. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (228) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

From the Bonaventure, within reasonable vicinity, I'd recommend:

Arts District Brewing - cool spot, good IPA on tap, skee ball and sh*t (short Uber 1.7 miles)
    Mohawk Bend - recommend for sheer volume of available IPAs (shouldn't be too bad of cab fare, tho not sure)
    Highland Park Brewing/Hermosillo - 'cos awesome... if you can get there
    Barrel Down - 'cos you can walk

6. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (135) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Smog has Amarilla Gorilla right now. Growlers, bottles and draft.

7. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (136) Jun 29, 2013 California

Booming rollers from modern times should be around this weekend.

8. drink1121

drink1121 Aspirant (249) Mar 23, 2009 California
    Trader

go to Highland Park Brewing if possible. They are doing the best beers in LA, imo and have three great ipa's on right now. they also do good soured saisons among other goodies

Black_Rider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.