In Portland Today (Sunday) and Seattle Tomorrow (Monday) looking for tips!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by cway2031, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cway2031

cway2031 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Illinois

Hello everyone! I am visiting the west coast from my home in Chicago and rented a car to drive from San Francisco to Seattle. Today (Sunday) I will be in Portland and leave tomorrow morning to drive to Seattle. Basically I have all day/night in Portland today, and all day in Seattle (Monday).

I'm looking for some tips and advice on breweries, beer bars, good restaurants, cool places to visit, a good happy hour place. I visited Russian River Brewery yesterday and bought a bunch of Pliny,Blind Pig, and a Growler of Row 2 Hill 56. I love IPAs and DIPAs, but my friend taking the trip with me loves Stouts and Porters as well as IPAs.

By the way, this is my first trip to the Pacific Northwest and it is absolutely gorgeous. I want to move out here!

Anyway, I'd love to hear some tips, input and advice from everyone!

2. ajramirez1

ajramirez1 Initiate (107) Apr 9, 2011 Washington

Hitup APEX, Belmont Station, Horsebrass, and then perhaps end up Downtown pdx at Bailey's Taproom. From downtown you can walk to Rogue, Deschutes, Henry's Tavern, etc. if just doing a daytrip, go for taprooms.

A-

3. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (250) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

4. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (515) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

When you hit Seattle, stop at Fremont Brewing and grab at minimum a glass and/or growler of The Brother DIPA --- they open at 11 am. It's really just a taproom, so no food.

You can grab a bite to eat at Brouwer's Cafe, just down the road. A must-hit spot in Seattle.

Go to Latona Pub for dinner. Latona kicks off their 2012 IPA Final Four tomorrow (Monday). They will be tapping Green Flash West Coast IPA, Boneyard RPM IPA, and Boundary Bay IPA for the first day --- first keg to blow wins the round. Like Latona Pub on Facebook for more information.

beertunes and RedMedicine like this.
  5. NWer

NWer Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I would skip Horse Brass in PDX unless you have all day. Service really sucks. They would rather visit with each other than tend to customers and they're not very smart. Couldn't answer most basic questions. When I gave up waiting for service & went up to bar to get an order I was told she would be with me shortly - basically telling me to go sit down. And no, it wasn't busy. Won't be back.
    Don Younger is no more and maybe that's why the place isn't worth the visit anymore.
    There. My rant for the year. :slight_smile:

6. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,590) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

Well Larry, seing as how I'm a fan of the HB, I feel as if in all fairness, I have to throw in my two cents. :-)

Table service at the HB has pretty much always been up and down (and I've been going there for quite some time now - long before Belmont Station moved up the street to it's current location). IMHO, it really is no worse now than it was back when Don Younger was around. That's not to say it's very good, just that his absense doesn't really seem to have had all that much impact on the HB. Personally, I always sit at the bar, where the service is invariably outstanding and the bartenders knowledgeable. I strongly recommend anyone visiting the HB do the same, or be prepared to encounter the sort of experience Larry had (back when I used to occcasionally sit at a table, I had a number of very similar experiences). For that matter, I would also think twice before ordering any food here. The fish and chips are fairly decent, and on occasion some of the weekly specials have been pretty good, but for the most part, "mehhh" pretty much sums up the quality of the food coming out of the kitchen.

That being said, I come here for the beer, and in that regard the HB continues to have few peers. They typically have close to 50 beers on tap, which always includes at least 2 or 3 cask options (sometimes more). Perhaps because of it's longevity, the HB continues to get a lot of local, limited release stuff on tap that I rarely see elsewhere. Also, it's the only place I know where you can get an imperial pint of HOTD fred, and I happen to think it's pretty cool that both Fred and Blue Dot are part of the core beer draft line-up here.

I would also add that sometimes having a clueless server can work in your favor. Back when Black Butte XX was first released, the HB had it on tap. So I ordered a glass. Imagine my shock when my order arrived in an imperial pint glass. When the waitress finally came back to the collect the bill, I asked her if she was aware of the abv. in the BB XX. She just looked at me, and then asked what did I mean. I told her the beer was a special anniversary beer from Deschutes, and that the alcohol was in the 11% range. She just looked at me and laughed, noting that she knew it was an anniversary beer, but that no one had told her the abv. was that high. She mentioned she'd been getting a few looks when she brought the beer out in imperial pint glasses, but that she hadn't given it any thought otherwise.

Bad table service aside, I know for me the HB is always a must visit, whenever I'm in town. Cheers!

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  7. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (994) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm dropping off my bracket and having a pint of RPM today after work. :slight_smile:

8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,729) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm not that familiar with the Seattle neighborhoods, but I seem to think that Latona is somewhat near Naked City. You shouldn't miss NC. If you can get over to the U-District, Big Time is another must-hit.

9. NWer

Beer Trader

Points well made sir. Thanks :slight_smile:

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  10. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Monday's half over but I'd add Pine Box on Capitol Hill to the list of suggestions for Seattle. They always seem to have something interesting on tap (currently Boneyard Suge Knite, Cascade Saison Grand, Fremont The Brother Oak/Simcoe Firkin etc.). Enjoy the rest of your visit!

beertunes and slinkie like this.
  11. slinkie

slinkie Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2011 Washington

Pine Box is also just kind of a cool space, and it's more centrally located.

I've never even made it up to Latona Pub, and I've lived in Seattle for almost 5 years.

12. BuckeyeOne

Two of the oldest craft beer bars in Seattle (if not the oldest) are Latona Pub and Cooper's Ale House. Neither of these places get much love from the BAs on this forum.

13. draheim

Beer Trader

Full disclosure: I've never been to the Pine Box. I never go to Capitol Hill (not that there's anything wrong with it :wink: - extra points if you catch the reference), but I keep hearing great things and every time I check their tap list I think I really need to get up there. Latona Pub is much closer to my neck of the woods. I walk or drive by Cooper's just about every day, haven't stopped in yet because I'm usually accompanied by a minor.

14. beertunes

Beer Trader

Just get said Minor a green vest, then you can take it anywhere.

draheim likes this.
  15. slinkie

lol "it"

16. NWer

Beer Trader

What? Great way to waste away an afternoon is grab a Dick burger while people watching on Broadway.

17. beertunes

Beer Trader

Not that there's anything wrong with grabbing Dick's on Cap Hill either.

18. draheim

Beer Trader

Wouldn't be the first or the last.

BuckeyeOne, NWer and beertunes like this.
  19. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Latona Pub is in the Greenlake neighborhood (just down Latona from Tangletown, where Burgundian and Elysian are) and a five minute walk from my house. It gets little to no love here, but it's my favorite. They celebrated their 25th anniversary this past August, too.

20. slinkie

All of the great restaurants on Capitol Hill, and you mention dollar burgers?

Franch likes this.
  21. BuckeyeOne

Latona is not really that close to Naked City, relatively speaking. They're both in North Seattle but one's in Green Lake (Latona Pub) and one's in Greenwood (NC). As distantmantra already stated, Latona Pub, Burgundian, and Elysian Tangletown are quite close. Also, Mutiny Hall is on the same street (NE 65th) as Latona Pub and is probably only a 1/2 mile away. OP could hit Latona Pub for dinner, pick up some bottles etc. at Whole Foods Roosevelt, and end the night at Mutiny Hall and have a great time.

draheim and beertunes like this.
  22. NWer

Beer Trader

Gotta admit I've totally overlooked Latona. Will correct that next time I'm in the area. Amazing since I like Turnpike Pizza a lot - been there a few times.

23. beertunes

Beer Trader

Green Lake, Greenwood, don't you guys have any other colors?:wink: Been to Burgundian, what a confusing little neighborhood that was, good tap list, decent food, so-so/iffy service.

24. BuckeyeOne

Good one. We're really just simple folk down here.

That's why it's called Tangletown. Duh.

beertunes likes this.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

We've got Dick's in Spokane too but different people own the Dick's here. They're really greasy and won't wow you or anything but you can't really say you've experienced Spokane until you get loaded and go grab some Dick's on a Saturday night.

beertunes likes this.
  26. draheim

Beer Trader

Spokane Dick's* are greasier than Seattle Dick's?* I find that hard to believe.

* I'm talking about hamburgers.

beertunes and BuckeyeOne like this.
  27. BuckeyeOne

It's true.

beertunes likes this.
  28. mv945

mv945 Initiate (188) Jan 26, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Speaking of Burgundian, I have never been to Tangletown before a couple days ago. After a couple pints at Fremont Brewing, ended up at Burgundian for dinner with the wife. I had the fried chicken & waffles, the chicken was delicious, but the bourbon maple syrup was ridiculous! I ended up drinking the last ounce of it straight. Service was good as well. Shout out for the new Brouwers/BW/Burg App too!

jpbebeau likes this.
  29. draheim

Beer Trader

P.S. Is it only the NW forum, or does every "where should I go when visiting your area" thread turn into a local, non sequitur, inside-joke free-for-all?

30. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

They also have better memories in Spokane. It's amazing.

beertunes likes this.
  31. NWer

Beer Trader

They had a contest to decide where the new Dick's should go. Edmonds lost.

32. BuckeyeOne

Are you saying that lost because they won, i.e., Edmonds is the loser because now they have a Dick's?

33. draheim

Beer Trader

All kidding aside, until recently I lived about two blocks from the Holman Road Dick's and frequented that establishment pretty often. Nothing else quite hits the spot around 3 p.m. on a Saturday after you've been working on the house all day, or around 11:30 p.m. on your way home after an evening out...

However, if any of you ever find yourselves in suburban St. Louis (circling back somewhat to the OP in Chicago here), you must go to Carl's Drive-In on Manchester Road. Best hamburgers and ice-cold root beer ever, anywhere. The same guy has been working the grill since I was in high school, and he looks exactly the same. I think the grease has embalmed his face.

34. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Burgundian is nice and all, but I'd take Latona over it any day of the week.

Even with their awesome chicken and waffles.

35. NWer

Beer Trader

Trying to be too funny. I like Dick's actually. Had too many "two cheese & a fries".

36. BuckeyeOne

I thought it was funny.

37. beertunes

Beer Trader

As I noted in my review, I was disappointed in the chicken and waffles. My damn waffle was cold. One of the guys I was with also had it and his waffles was cold as well. It's like they just prep a batch of them ahead of time, and expect the gravy to heat it back up.

38. distantmantra

Beer Trader

That's too bad. Everytime I've been there, they were perfect.

39. BuckeyeOne

If this was soon after they first opened, this would have been a typical experience. Even cold fries/frites were not out of the ordinary. It seems like they've gotten the wrinkles ironed out.

[EDIT] P.S. Never mind. Just saw your review was from December. That's too bad.

40. beertunes

Beer Trader

Well, we've gone off-topic again.:flushed: To get back on track, the OP asked for tips, we should show him some PNW hospitality and give him the shaft too!:grimacing:

Portland in one day
    Seattle the very next day
    Taste the rare that way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.