In search of less sweet Marzen/Oktoberfest

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wpstafford, Sep 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Knowing your influence, I can only say I'd like to hear your observations.

o29, ATL6245 and jonphisher like this.
  2. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,143) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Well, @jonphisher I took your suggestion & did a blind side by side. Conclusion: out of three different blind samplings I picked the Paulaner Marzen (amber) as less sweet than Paulaner Oktoberfestbier (golden) each time. They seem very close, but I am surprised that the Paulaner Marzen didn't stand out. Good call sir! :beers:

[​IMG]

For funsies, I decided to perform the blind triangle test between Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen & Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest Marzen. Wanted to see if I could distinguish the difference. After all, German beers are my favorites, I drink a lot of them, I should be an expert, right? Poured two Paulaner & one Hacker Pschorr. Made sure to move them around so I could not remember their positions. Not so fast my friends. Conclusion, I would make a lousy BJCP judge. I selected 1 out of 5 trials correctly. So, humbled, I bow to those with much more sensitive noses and palates.

[​IMG]

JMN44, o29, zid and 9 others like this.
  3. steveh

Society

To be fair, I always find these two nearly identical. After all, they're brewed under the same roof these days.

o29, Jaycase, TongoRad and 4 others like this.
  4. ATL6245

Society

That does help my bruised ego...a little. :joy::joy::joy: In my head, I have always thought of Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen to be a little more distinguishable than the other German Marzens we get over here, but I was very curious to see if I could tell the difference. Nope.

o29, FBarber and steveh like this.
  5. steveh

Society

Throw Spaten Okto into your experiment, you might be surprised.

o29, TongoRad, scootercrabb and 2 others like this.
  6. ATL6245

Society

I may try that later. All surprises for me at this point @steveh .

o29, TongoRad, steveh and 1 other person like this.
  7. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,519) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks for sharing @ATL6245. Really enjoyed the read, we’re out of town this weekend. I’ll get around to mine next week and now I have some ideas, never thought to do multiple trials in one setting like that.

Funny you mention not distinguishing HP and paulaner. I remember the same thing last year and for that reason I only bought paulaner marzen this year no HP.

o29, steveh, ATL6245 and 2 others like this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm locked and loaded for that trio, but am planning on posting it in the Oktoberfest thread when it's started this weekend.

o29, steveh, FBarber and 1 other person like this.
  9. ATL6245

Society

I actually find it fun to do things like that. I always learn something from it. Given the Paulaner/H-P Marzen similarities, I looked up the price of both at my local Total Wine. Paulaner Marzen is $9.79 a six pack and H-P is $9.99. Now I know I am a $.20 wiser and will just buy the Paulaner rather than both. Cheers!

o29 and jonphisher like this.
  10. steveh

Society

I still have to get all three every year out of deep-seated tradition. :slight_smile:

@ATL6245 -- I usually see the Paulaner and H-P for the same price, but I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I see them.

ATL6245 and jonphisher like this.
  11. steveh

Society

Eyes open for that post. :slight_smile:

TongoRad likes this.
  12. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I'm drinking Tucher Festbier, and it's lovely.

Note that it is a festbier, not a marzen. Paler in color, great representation of the style (though I still do somewhat prefer the exquisite Weihenstephaner festbier).

Mild sweetness subsides to a dry finish leaving you wanting another sip. Highly drinkable. Prost!

jkrich, ATL6245, JackHorzempa and 2 others like this.
  13. jonphisher

Society Trader

This is one I’ve seen several posts about this year and not the past few. Was hoping it would show up around me but I have not come across it. Yet…

steveh and Givemebeer like this.
  14. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Surprising! NJ gets great distro. Hard to find anything in VT... usually. Guess I got lucky/ craft beer cellar is a great store. Cheers!

jonphisher likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,820) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW I just saw Tucher Festbier a few days ago at my local Retail Beer Distributor. I picked up a four-pack. Not expensive so it is a great deal in that regard.

Cheers!

@Givemebeer

16. steveh

Society

I just checked the website of our local big retailer. No Festbier, but the location I plan to hit next week has Tucher Helles -- interest piqued.

ATL6245 and jonphisher like this.
  17. jonphisher

Society Trader

There is a store I don’t frequent and havent been to in a while, but I know they have tucher helles, weizen and dunkles weizen.

Maybe they actually have the fest now too. I think I may check next time I have a chance.

ATL6245 and steveh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.