Indiana Beer Love II

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ja1022, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ja1022

ja1022 Initiate (131) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I noticed the original thread was closed but wanted to note that one of the original bad northwest Indiana breweries has decided to wrap it up here in a couple of days after a 10 year run. Sincere congrats to them for making it that long. While a couple of bad breweries have gone away, at least one more has been added- one that I actually visit because of it's proximity to my new location (a little closer to southwest Michigan). They're good peeps, it's not their livelihood and they're sincerely making efforts to hone the craft. That makes at least nine bad breweries still left.

Also seems to me that 18th Street is killing it again. For my tastes, I've been getting some world class stuff outta Miller for the last several months. Liking the Burn 'Em boys more as well, and Four Fathers new digs are nice too.

#1 ja1022, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,846) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Who?

3. ja1022

Trader

In Valpo.

4. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

OK I'm done.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (626) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana

6. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

7. ja1022

Trader

Good point and well taken. For some weird reason I felt bad naming names when I've never had issues calling out shit breweries by name before.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  8. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,459) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

If you check out their menu, Figure 8‘s Transcendent quad is list at $36 a six pack. At that price, they may still have some after the close.

I did enjoy Rye Knot. Jumbo Love was not too bad either. The rest of their beers were bad.

9. kodt

kodt Defender (618) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Can I call out Viking Artisan Ales as being flavored kool-aid producer and not a brewer?

10. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana

In your opinion, what are the bad breweries left.

To me, Figure 8 wasn't bad...they just weren't particularly good. And the "buying a new growler or using only Figure 8 branded growler" thing got old real quick.

Agree with you on 18th Street and Four Father's (especially with what little space they've had to operate). Burn Em has been in the "just ok" category for me as well besides their corn beer O had at the last 450 corn maze (maize) I really liked that one.

If we're talking Valpo I've always wanted to like Ironwood Brewing and had some decent beers in there but the service are a turn off for me. At best I've been ignored, at worst they've been outright rude to me and my partner.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. ja1022

Trader

In my opinion, bad to mediocre at best:

Bulldog
    ByWay
    Malt Bros
    Wild Rose
    Devil's Trumpet
    Crown
    Off Square
    Shoreline
    Plat 35

Zorn and Ironwood get a pass because I really haven't sampled their stuff.

ChicagoJ, JohnnyHopps and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. ja1022

Trader

...yeah and add the Kool-Aid place in Griffith to the list too.

13. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

To be fair, I have not had any of their beers. But I have no desire to sample them. The whole concept of their beers is reprehensible.

14. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

So who do you have in the brewery death pool? I will take Devil’s trumpet. Not because they are worst, but because of their location. Every time I have been in there I have had the place to myself

Beer_Economicus and ja1022 like this.
  15. ja1022

Trader

I would agree with that. All the others seem to have some level of community support or they're getting by on food.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Champion (822) May 10, 2014 Ohio

If this is the "Indiana Beer Love" forum, then you guys have a twisted sense of "love".
    [Rechecks every post in the thread. Yep, twisted.]

17. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (277) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

On happier notes, I found Zombie dust in cans the other day. So that was exciting.

18. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (277) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Does anyone have a favorite Indiana beer right now? I have been drinking a lot of Hometown Hero from Triton lately. I was taking some time off from IPA's.

19. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

One brewery that has not been mentioned yet that I drink often is New Oberpfalz. I am not much of a fan of their stouts. Helles is a well crafted “regular beer” at a great price for a six pack. It’s a nice normal beer. ... I am hoping Schwarbier is bottled again soon.

20. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

It's not always around, but I find Wigsplitter from Ye Olde Three Floyds to be an excellent coffee stout.

Looks like it's coming back, like, right now!

21. toolbrew

Their Helles is excellent!

22. cetherid

cetherid Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

Ironwood is terrible. I think Shoreline makes decent dark/malty beers. Their BA stuff 10+ years ago used to be really good, but not so much now....I do enjoy the food there. The new addition they built is pretty cool.

Devils Trumpet is getting worse and worse. Their BA stout they released a couple months ago was extremely infected and terrible from the reviews I saw on FB and untapped. I haven't tried them, but there is another brewery in Merrillville called Cognito. Have not heard anything good about them.

I also agree with @JohnnyHopps on New Oberpfalz. Incredible lagers and the brewpub has great food and is very family friendly. Helles is like a staple in my fridge.

ChicagoJ, ja1022 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  23. ja1022

Trader

Putting Shoreline on my shit list sucked because 10 years ago they were pretty damn good. Then they regressed and all the other southwest Michigan and NW Indiana options popped up. And agreed on their barrel aged stuff; they were out front of that trend.

Stopped in Cognito once. All Belgian and seemed true to style but haven't been back.

Like New Oberpfalz as well.

Stopped by Burn 'Em today for a couple on the way to Transient Artisan Ales. In my opinion they are continuing to get better.

ChicagoJ, cetherid and GuyFawkes like this.
  24. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

What’s every bodies opinion of windmill/foreign local? I’ve been there a few times and am quite unsure what to make of the place.

25. ja1022

Trader

Owners (who aren't the brewers) are good dudes. I've had some bad beer there at their start. I think what they do they do well. Don't go there myself because they seem to be milkshake heavy in style and I prefer my lactose come from milk, not beer (unless it's Apocalypse Cow).

ChicagoJ and FFFjunkie like this.
  26. toolbrew

I enjoy Windmill’s DDH hazies and Two if By Citra. The milkshakes and memes are good although personally can’t have more than one. I think it’s the vanilla. Luther’s cool.

The only foreign.local I’ve tried was Alligator Blood. Really good stout and they nailed the body/mouthfeel.

ChicagoJ and FFFjunkie like this.
  27. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

I’ve had alligators blood and completely agree. I thought it was excellent .

But my god the 14 different hazy milkshakes all the time gets old quick . I kinda wish they’d nail a few and leave it at that .

Plus the few times I’ve visited I’m either the only one in there or one of three . Really odd

ChicagoJ, Beer_Economicus and ja1022 like this.
  28. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,509) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I like Windmill. I haven't had too much from the Memes series, but I like Two If By Citra and several of their less hazy, non-milkshake IPAs. They did a peanut butter coffee stout, Nuts & Jolts, that I thought was excellent; I'd love to see that one again. I've also been there multiple times and ended up with Luther (the brewery cat) taking a nap in my lap or in the chair next to me.

My favorite Indiana beer is usually whatever's fresh from Bare Hands.

ChicagoJ, toolbrew, ja1022 and 2 others like this.
  29. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (51) Jun 22, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Westy FTW!

ja1022 likes this.
  30. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana

Shout out to Bare Hands, stopped by a few years ago for their Christmas party and have come every year since. Only made it to the last two Double Thai IPA days but had a blast at both.

In reference to Shoreline, I'm glad I'm not the only one that used to like their stuff (mainly dark and barrel aged) but it does seem like the quality has fallen off in recent years.

In reference to Devil's Trumpet, the few times I've been through and whenever I've met a rep they always been really nice people and I've never had the heart to tell them their beer is not good. The last astronaut/Tang beer I had was sickeningly sweet.

In reference to Crown brewing, their stuff is just ok minus the White Russian beer they make, that stuff is pretty tasty.

Anyone get to Kopacetic in Monticello? Their beer is polarizing to me. It's either really good (pink lemonade Mexican lager, double oat IPA) or really bad (taco seasoning beer I'm looking at you) not a lot of in between for me.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  31. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

A general Indiana beer question ...

As far as I know, restaurants and bars can’t sell growlers in Indiana. I am wondering what will become of the partially consumed kegs during the state mandated closures.

chrismattlin and ChicagoJ like this.
  32. toolbrew

I didn’t see a question...

But will likely be kept on site until reopening then sold at the same prices.

33. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

As old as the IPAs would be, I would hope for discount prices (?????????)

34. toolbrew

That’s the difficult question - will restauranteurs reopen with discount pricing? Tough to say after losing significant revenue. People will be thrilled to dine out for a meal and most patrons won’t care. Time will tell

35. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I have learned of some easing of the law, though not entirely clear on specifics. Region Ale in Schererville, for example, is selling growlers.

36. toolbrew

Nice! Doc’s in Dyer is selling cans/bottles...as well as liquor for carryout!

Just saw Upland is doing $25 cases of Dragonfly and Champagne Velvet.

#36 toolbrew, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  37. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (451) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

They should be giving that Dragonfly away for free. It was undrinkable swill even 15 years ago.

Kraz, jkblr and GuyFawkes like this.
  38. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (110) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana

I can (and often do) drink Westy on a weekly basis from Bare Hands. An absolutely consistent, well balanced IPA.

On the Bare Hands note, if anyone sees Back Food Back Money by them, grab it. An absolute hazy banger.

Anyone made their way to FFF's for the new Dreadnaught form factor? 4 12oz bottles. I love it. Tasting a bit maltier this year than previous, but still phenomenal as always.

ChicagoJ and chrismattlin like this.
  39. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (110) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana

2Toms is putting out two O.G. cans this Friday

Bird Law, their first really memorable Hazy from 2 years ago
    Tshirt Weather, an easy drinkin pale

Somethin about Tom, I like that place. I plan on making the 3 hour roundtrip drive just to get out and get in the car to support them.

40. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (354) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I was traveling to FW for work the past couple of years (no longer, thank you very much COVID-19). I gave 2Ts multiple tries, I’m just not a fan. I found most of their beer to be average at best, and some were just plain bad. The venue was a cool place to hang out though.