Indiana Beer love

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by speedydd6, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

They do a lot of good English style beers still. They have an ESB that is outstanding. They do a brown and an imperial brown pretty often that are also fantastic and I've also had a few good saisons from them. They sort of strike out in the IPA category tho in my opinion. Still very much worth a stop

GuyFawkes likes this.
  2. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (139) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Your closest and best brewery is Deviate. SunKing just opened SunKing spirits which is a brewery, restaurant, distillery. Don't think they make any haze and their beer is just ok to me, but a pretty cool place. Upland has a taproom in Carmel as well. It's a pretty nice place. They make one haze that's pretty good but not sure of the availability it's kinda a one-off, their big attraction is their sours. The Pint Room is the best taproom. They have a great selection on tap and their burgers are very good. Your best bottle shops are Payless and Crown. Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana

I will add to Deviate w/ DareDevil. I like their IPAs, since that's what you're looking for, and they do nice variations of Lift Off, double dry hopping it with different hop varieties. Then also the experimental hop IPAs.

galos11 likes this.
  4. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I also really enjoy the beer at Flix just down the street from that Upland Tap room. You can hit the brewery without having to see a movie.

5. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (287) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Check out Vine and Table for good liquor store.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  6. galos11

galos11 Zealot (545) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks man. Here now and at the Pint Room in Carmel. A lot of great beer options from Fat Heads and really digging Sumo Mermaids from Indiana City Brewing.

Anyone know if Indiana City has beer to go?? I know the obvious answer is to call.

7. WilliMo

WilliMo Initiate (17) Jan 24, 2016 Indiana

The brewery usually doesn't have more than their base beers, so not something like sumo. However I was just at Vine and table and they have more options, including the sumo beer I believe. Their stuff really doesn't move all that quickly given their higher price point.

8. galos11

galos11 Zealot (545) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks man. Much appreciated

9. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (426) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

Any updates to how 18th St Barrel Massacre is? I remember when these would be hyped and have their own thread 5+ pages long.

10. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

For the first time, I honestly don't think I know anybody there.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  11. AyatollahGold

I figured there would've been a lot more talk about this one just because of the barrel aged Cycle collab "Saturday". But instead they just sold tickets out yesterday or the day before.

cetherid and JohnnyHopps like this.
  12. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

That might be better stated as “sold out”. The cut off sales to avoid embarassment in previous years of not actually selling out.

18th Street is somewhat of a nothingburger on the Indiana beer scene these days. The reason for which have been rehashed endlessly on BA.

13. AyatollahGold

Maybe if they would bring more styles to us, instead of IPA after IPA after IPA. dang

14. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I would be delighted to see Hunter variants come back.

15. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (152) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

You, and your brethren jack-boot wearing thugs in the 18th St Haters Guild, would be delighted to see 18th St produce "ANYTHING" that you can trade, as opposed to consume, am I right? The angst towards 18th isn't that their beer sucks, it's just that you just can't trade it!

You long for the days when you could get an 18th St brew that would draw trade interest from a trade partner in Tuscaloosa, or Little Rock, or Highland. Sorry, sailor - the reality is that 18th is just making good beer to drink, in the here and now.

Whether or not you can trade it doesn't matter.

At least to me.

As you were, and carry on.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

For the price, they make mediocre beer.

17. YoungLad

"For the price" is the tricky part. That's your economics, not mine, or my neighbors. Take that out of the equation, and no, their beer is not mediocre.

18. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I waited 5 days for that shellacking.

You do realize that I have consumed a lot of 18th Street, right? I am just not interested in their same IPA with a different hop profile. Rather than innovative, it seems somewhat lazy. If they would throw gummi bears in an IPA, I will spend money.

Hunter was dam good by the way.

Thanks for checking in.

19. YoungLad

Yup, I'm in for gummi IPAs, but only if they are pure Albanese.

I'm a purist.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  20. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

97% pure. Nothing less.

21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I'm hard pressed to believe that at the same price you can't name several other breweries that you'd rather drink stuff from. Their shit is so high it makes my nose bleed.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  22. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I was considering taking a ride to Hammond to check out the super secret leftovers from the BA Massacre. But then I remembered that beer is for hiding in the upstairs, not for selling or drinking.

23. YoungLad

I'm looking at their website, and I see 4-packs of 16 ounce IPAs for $13. Sixers of 12 ounce pils for $10. Not sure what is so high - this is pretty normal to me?

I must say, though, that I can't afford St. John Malt Bros....

ja1022 and chrismattlin like this.
  24. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Are you having trouble find any allusive St John Malt Bros? I might be able to help.

ja1022 likes this.
  25. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Maybe that is their prices at the brewery, but that's not close to what I pay elsewhere in Indiana. $16-20 4-packs are common. $5 cans of hunter (which is equally absurd, to me).

mayorQuimby likes this.
  26. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Savant (979) May 10, 2014 Ohio

My local store got a fresh drop from 18th St, and I picked up Hunter Vanilla and Nubian Overlord. I never pass up the HV, it's always worth the money. Nubian Overlord was really good, I thought, and nothing like most IPAs they put out; kind of a mish-mash of a "Midwest" and "NE" IPA.

Just my 2 cents.

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
  27. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

18th Street’s distillery is light years ahead of 3 Floyds distillery. It’s open.

kreg02, ja1022 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  28. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana

I’ve been immensely enjoying “Saturday” on draft the last 3-4 days. And I’m considering going to Barrel Massacre next year since they consistanly bring great guest taps. They had Other Half, Monkish, Dark Lord HDQ, Canuckley, Cigar City, BA PBM Popinski, Wakefield and others...along with BA versions of Hunter.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  29. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Initiate (188) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

Re: 18th Street, I had too many bad experiences, including infections of multiple BA and non-BA beers going back a few years. On occasion I'd like an IPA but the price point and lack of can dating, at least going back a couple years, turned me off. Quality was decent but not a standout. Felt like their beers tended to rot on shelves around Indy, especially the Sour Note stuff. I'd snag a 4-pk of HV on occasion; some times I thought it was very good and others, got a lot of metallic notes. I personally think Taxman Frozen Assets is a much better, and more consistent, milk stout, at a much better price point (to offer one item for local comparison).

I personally never sent 18th St stuff out in trades because I didn't think it was of equivalent quality to what I was ever getting; maybe as a random extra now and then, but nothing more. There was a lot of hype around the brewery ~4-5 years ago but options and quality keep getting better and better, and IMO, this brewery has been passed by a lot of the competition.

30. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Extremely well said.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  31. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

We get some Taxman up north, but not a ton. I need to find Frozen Assets; it sounds fantastic.

32. ja1022

ja1022 Initiate (159) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I'm told, if you're lucky you just might be able to find just a few of the choice Bros' products at your local Strack and Van Tils. Disregard all the dust, it's just from store construction. Enjoy!!

YoungLad and JohnnyHopps like this.
  33. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

And here I thought it was just a very slow burial, not dust.

Seriously BAs. Take $20 and wipe your ass with it, and visit the St. John Malt Bros. The world really need to know how bad craft beer can be.

kiwifuz and ja1022 like this.
  34. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (852) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Just going through this thread for the first time in a while when I came across this. I recently found Heavens Court ‘18(12oz bottles) at my local shop for $10. The beer was really good when I had it a few years ago, so I didn’t mind dropping that much on a single, when the cost per oz is better and not committed to drinking 22oz at a time. It was 1 per person or I would have grabbed a second bottle. Most of their other stuff is “meh”.

35. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,386) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I took a gamble on a $10 bottle versus the $38 four pack. A good beer that improved as it warmed. Solid smell and taste but the thin feel was disappointing for a big stout. Happy with my decision at that price point.

36. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I am not pretending to have inside information. But everytime I have been in Devil’s Trumpet, it is dead. Maybe it is location, or the wealth of better options in NWI. By no means are they as bad as St. John Malt Bros. I wasn’t impressed by the cardboardiness of Heaven’s Court the one time I had it. I think Chocolate Taco is great. Their sours and saisons are bad. There IPAs are ok. I have to wonder how the bottom line is looking for them.

The market will get further dilluted when Cognito Brewing opens on 86th Place.

LloydDobler likes this.
  37. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (426) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

Speaking of better options in NWI, can we talk about how awesome New Oberpfalz is? Probably my favorite brewery in the state. The Helles and the newish Pils are both incredible and staples in my fridge. So glad that their ofest has returned as well. Was very impressed with last years version. Plan on getting at least a case if it's as good as last years. On top of all their great lagers, their pub is a great place to visit with the family.

gmkovich and JohnnyHopps like this.
  38. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I love New Oberpfalz. Food is outstanding too.

gmkovich and cetherid like this.
  39. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,560) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Do they can/bottle/distribute? Or is it brewery/crowler/growler only?

40. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

They do bottle. And their stuff is distributed in NWI at most stores. Even though they concentrate on lagers, their IPAs are also solid.

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.