Indiana Beer love

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by speedydd6, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

GuyFawkes and ja1022 like this.
  2. ja1022

ja1022 Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

3. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Wow, 9? Not disputing your opinion, but let me give this a try...

St. John Malt Bros (King of turd Mountain)
    Bulldog
    Figure 8
    Crown
    Wild Rose
    Devil’s Trumpet
    Byway
    Hunter’s
    Ironwood

How did I do?

ja1022 likes this.
  4. ja1022

Trader

Pretty damn good. Although I haven't been there in awhile and really see no need to go back I gave Hunter's a pass. I forgot about Bulldog. They're definitely on the shit beer list. I have Zorn and Off Square on my list too. I may be tough on Off Square...been a few times..hasn't done much for me.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  5. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Zorn is such a cool setting that I want them to succeed, but they do some many things wrong.
    Off Square has the distinction of being just barely better than all the places on my list, which is why they did not make the cut.

ja1022 likes this.
  6. ja1022

Trader

Agreed on both points.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  7. YoungLad

YoungLad Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

8. YoungLad

This thread has been somewhat stagnant, so thought I'd throw an 18th St post in here to stir things up....

9. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

If they barrel age it they can charge $100 for 12oz bottles!!

10. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

It is a very solid beer. Worth seeking.

11. midegrou

midegrou Dec 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

How are 450 North releases? Any guesses on if all six being released tomorrow will last through Saturday?

12. Jplachy

Jplachy Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

If you asked me a year ago I would have said that Devil's Trumpet was the most underrated brewery in the country. Now this year I've heard nothing. Are they doing alright? How's their beer been this year?

13. darktronica

darktronica Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Well, the Heaven's Court I had didn't seem to be infected, so they have that going for them this year. (Jokes aside, it was quite good.)

14. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Heard the 2018 was very good. The 2017 I had was infected.

15. YoungLad

Like moths to a flame!

JohnnyHopps and GuyFawkes like this.
  16. darktronica

darktronica Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Yep, that's been exactly my experience with it. Had a 2017 that was infected, tried a draft pour of the 2018 at Taxman's Death & Taxes festival in April which was fine, then found a single on sale at a shop a couple months ago that was also pretty solid.

17. nw2571

nw2571 Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

The slushies almost always sell out day of. Fresh Froots usually do, but not always. Non milkshake IPAs usually last a week. All beers will survive the weekend on draft. They usually update on Facebook day of the releases with remaining cans after the line goes through.

18. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

Has anyone stopped by Scarlet Lane’s new taproom? That is a very interesting spot to put a place. I will stop in soon because of Final Gravity that also moved next door.

19. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Stopped at the Miller location Friday evening and had three very good pours. The Hunter Maple Coffee was the best of the three, strong maple and coffee flavors, creamy mouth feel, excellent pour.

Aggressive secrets is a solid IPA, nice blended taste and nice bitterness/dryness. Jade Pale ale was decent. Nice friendly staff and a good place to chill, food was very good as well.

Will be on the hunt for future vertical series releases, worth the trip from Chicago. Will also try to hit the Hammond location down the road.

ja1022 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Mar 29, 2010 American Samoa
    Trader

Is that a list of bad places? Because I saw a sign by Byway saying it was good but, didn't even stop in on the way back from 18th street. I think Devils trumpet is pretty good but, a bit expensive. You can get portillos delivered there so it raises it up a notch imo. Kind of want to go to crown and off square because I have the week off and it's a nice enough area to walk off the booze.

21. sportscrazed2

Trader

So quick question. I was by the visitors center by the expressway the other day. I saw something that looked awfully like a craft beer bar I think it was called brewfest or something but, it's about 5-10 minutes away from beer geeks. Worth checking out?

22. sportscrazed2

Trader

I went to the Hammond one Sunday. Kinda hard to get in they were doing construction all around and you needed to go down and alleyway and park in grass. Hard to get into. Just a heads up if anyone is going. I liked every single beer I've had there but, there are a bunch of places you can buy their cans that don't involve going to a renovated warehouse in the middle of downtown hammond. Only reason to go there is if you get a parking ticket or something and need to fight it IMO.

23. ja1022

Trader

Yes those are bad breweries in my opinion. Not being a dick but would you expect Byway to have a sign saying there beer is bad (it is)? Crown blows too. Off Square not great but not offensive either. Not sure where in Indiana you're at but Evil Horse in Crete IL is good.

sportscrazed2 likes this.
  24. sportscrazed2

Trader

Yep went there for the first time a few weeks back. Will be back. $8 growlers on tuesdays can't be beat.

25. sportscrazed2

Trader

Oh and of course byway claims to have good beer I just thought that I saw something like "best new brewery" with a source on their sign. Of course that doesn't really matter. I live south of fff near 30. Not much reason to drive to hammond for crap.

26. sportscrazed2

Trader

Is it worth an hour drive to Burn-Em and go to the beach weather permitting this weekend?

27. chimolite

chimolite Dec 1, 2015 Illinois

Gonna go ahead and second this. Evil Horse pleasantly surprised me and the other breweries mentioned just disappoint.

ja1022 likes this.
  28. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Every Burn 'Em beer I've had was awful, IMO.

I grew up in Michigan City and really want their to be a great brewery there... but between Burn 'Em, Shoreline and Zorn...0 for 3.

29. ja1022

Trader

Drive another 20 minutes and hit Transient Artisan Ales and Haymarket in Bridgman MI. You can hit Greenbush and Burn ‘Em on the way back. Bridgman is about an hour from Calumet Ave and 94.

sportscrazed2 likes this.
  30. ja1022

Trader

That’s funny. I hate on all the bad brewers in NWI but I give these guys a pass. Not a destination for me but an occasional stop on the way back from somewhere in Michigan. I’ve liked/been ok with more there than I’ve disliked.

31. darklord2011

darklord2011 Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Will be looking for this for sure. Not a huge 18th St. fan but Hunter variations are legit.

32. YoungLad

@JohnnyHopps - I'm wondering if this is what you're looking for from 18th St.?

33. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Do you want to meet in Miller around 5pm on Friday?

34. YoungLad

Maybe....I'll see what's up, but that beverage sounds like it will make my tongue vibrate. Jeebus - that beer has everything but barrel-aged kitchen sink!

35. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I can’t imagine there will be lines around the block. And I think the forthcoming snow will keep most away.

36. darklord2011

Trader

20% off all Founders today only at Big Red. That brings Better Half down to $15 plus tax.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  37. nw2571

nw2571 Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Does that mean you can get CBS at last year's prices?

AyatollahGold likes this.
  38. sportscrazed2

Trader

First time even hearing about big red. Googled it and the closest one is 120 miles away. I'm guessing if I was doing a road trip through the state that would be the place to look for beer?

39. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Big Red is the best known most widely dispersed liquor/beer store that I am awareness of in indiana. They receive the largest BC allocation each year for this reason. They suck dick at being helpful in trying to get limited whiskey though.

sportscrazed2 and AyatollahGold like this.
  40. darklord2011

Trader

Yeah they allocate all of their limited whiskey to their big lottery event at the fairgrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.