Indiana Beer love

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by speedydd6, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (186) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana

Thanks for taking the time to post here and explain everything!

My store here in Indy just got Luscious Mounds and Evil Czech-munk. Been eyeing the Mounds 4pk, I guess I should go ahead and buy one. Any word when Nefarious Harbor will be canned? Sounds pretty awesome!

chrismattlin likes this.
  2. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Thanks for the post and for expanding your distro. I bought a 4 pack of Evil Czechmunk recently in Greenwood. Looking forward to it finding its way further south.

I was exposed to ECB at the Columbus beer fest last year. I can't speak to improvements over the years, but I wasn't disappointed by any of the 5 or 6 of the beers I've had. As I mentioned earlier, Static Chipmunk is really on point.

#202 nw2571, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. Jonl0424

Jonl0424 Initiate (99) May 23, 2015 Michigan

Staying at the Omni hotel in Indy next weekend, any must hit breweries, stores near? Thx in advance

4. drac86

drac86 Disciple (395) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Someone mentioned it earlier, but you should really swing by Black Circle to try their White Bronco - it's easily the best of that style here in Indy itself. They're too new to be packaging and don't have production ramped up high enough to do growler fills yet, but they're definitely worth the trip.

5. drac86

Society Trader

Closest to you would be Crown Liquors downtown, they have a very solid selection. If you have transportation, Kahn's and SoBro Liquors are very close to each other and just 15 minutes or so outside of downtown plus are just a few blocks from Black Circle Brewing, which is definitely worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood.

As for breweries downtown... there's not much. The Tap has a great selection and their house beers are decent, though I generally drink guest taps there. Sun King is worth a stop if they have one of their King's Reserve beers or other special releases on draft, otherwise it's not worth it just for their house beers. Avoid Tow Yard at all costs. Flat 12 and TwoDeep are decent in a pinch, but not much to write home about. Indiana City is overall solid, but again nothing mind-blowing.

If you are willing to go a bit further outside of downtown, Deviate Brewing on the north side or Black Acre & Chilly Water on the east side are your best bets.

6. drac86

Society Trader

I appreciate the candor in discussing what is certainly a sensitive subject for the company, but I have to say that I found a lot of the ECB response on social media to be totally unprofessional. I mean really, sniping at consumers on Untappd? That's middle-school shit, and I would have hoped that whoever runs your social media would have thick enough skin to respond more appropriately. I get that it's a frustrating situation, but instead of lashing out when someone makes a juvenile comment, a polite response offering to explain or asking the consumer to contact the brewery for the full story comes across as MUCH more adult than: "So did you work at the restaurant, the brewery, or just believe everything you read on the internet?" (That btw is a direct quote of the brewery account's comment on an Untappd check-in.)

7. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Initiate (188) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

Crown Downtown for stores will be very convenient. No need for you to venture anywhere else imo searching for bottles. Mass Ave area (you can walk in ~10 min) will be best for bars with good beer, mainly the Tap as mentioned above. If you have a car, Black Acre on the east side (~15 min drive) is very good and some killer pizza next door at Jockamo's. But purely from a beer perspective, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you have a car and don't go to Deviate on the northside (~25 min from your hotel). Also highly recommend the Koelschip (~10 min drive, probably a reasonable Uber from your hotel) on the old northside. I suggest looking at their site to get a feel for what they are and if you are interested as I don't feel like laying it out. If you go there, great food next door at Goose the Market that you can bring in too.

8. Jonl0424

Jonl0424 Initiate (99) May 23, 2015 Michigan

I guess I should have posted that I will have a car, the advice is greatly appreciated to all

9. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I have found a few gems at Kahn's that I have not seen elsewhere - in Indi or outside the state. Nothing like a nice whale, but some harder-to find in our area distribution-wise. The staff if pretty helpful. Based on the reviews online i actually thought their store would be better. That might seem surprising (if you live in Indy and visit frequently), but I have just been to some stores that are really absolutely phenomenal (with the same rating).

10. simonok

simonok Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2015 Massachusetts

Absolutely, the situation took everyone be surprise in how fast it escalated. We were not prepared to handle a situation like this, and all of the brewery staff were extremely annoyed by how the restaurant handled the situation. The FOH only has customers who visit to handle, us in the brewery are the ones who are out there statewide and have a reputation to uphold.

The Untappd comment you mentioned, was probably meant in more tongue in cheek than a passive aggressive snipe. People talk a lot of shit on untappd, so we are more than happy to talk shit back!

GuyFawkes likes this.
  11. mikeat

mikeat Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2007 Indiana

We always have 12 taps on now, with the three house beers, the two current seasonals (a rotating IPA (always) and a mexican lager (our spring/summer grocery release), at least one King's Reserve (but usually two - something sour and something bourbon barrel-aged), something from our small batch brewery in Fishers, something nitro, and a few other things to fill the list.

The list is on untappd or our website.

I should also mention that we've converted the serving counter to a bar now, and that we have a pretty nice patio.

chrismattlin and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. drac86

Society Trader

Well then, I stand corrected. I'll be honest - it's been a few months since I've been to the brewery, and I used to go just for KR releases when I knew for sure they'd be on tap. Thanks for the heads up that they're always on now, that definitely will affect what I recommend to people.

13. drac86

Society Trader

I suppose... for what it's worth, it didn't read that way when we first saw it (the check-in was from a buddy of mine). I agree that he was talking shit and am not defending that, but it definitely made me think twice about wanting to buy beer from what I perceived to be an unprofessional company. I'll give your stuff another try based on your explanation and your claim that you've improved so much in the last year, but I know he for sure will not and has told several people in our local group who also were put off by the tone of the reply.

Cheers and thanks for being willing to discuss it at least though.

14. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I respect the breweries that have been dropping by this thread, not necessarily to hock their product, but to clear up misconceptions and talk beer. This is the place to do it.

15. simonok

I appreciate you giving us another try. I know myself that I've had beers from breweries and have had to push myself to give them another go after having a bad beer.

If you have a chance, I'd advise any of the two "Chipmunk" beers, one of which got a "Bros" rating of 89 in the February issue. Nefarious Harbor (NEIPA) and well have a new small batch IPA called "Cashmere Ousside" which is a single hop Cashmere IPA with Sacc Brux as the year.

When it comes to in industry its very hard to claw your way back from a negative reputation of quality, you throw something like the Facebook allegations into the mix and well.... You can imagine.

I'm a beer drinker first, and as a brewer I'm am constantly trying to better each new brew and each batch into something I'd go back to again and again as a beer drinker.

If anyone is ever around on a Friday evening let some serving staff know there's members of the BA forum around an we'll be happy to bring you back for a tour.

drac86 likes this.
  16. weirdbeer

weirdbeer Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2007 Indiana

Are you sure this has been distributed to Indy? While not extensive, I checked around for Heatwave at several liquor stores, and checked a few tap lists that your site notes as having your beers, and nothing comes up yet.

17. simonok

I am certain its out there. I know the Craftroads told us the last of it would be sold from their warehouse on Monday.

Best bet I can think of would be Parti Pak or somewhere like that, about 15 cases of a run of 40 got sent to Indy, so the bistro company was going to be pretty selective with where they let stock it. They also took 8x1/6bbl kegs. I looked back through a few weeks of untapped check ins for you but I could see any venues that I recognised the name of. Ill send an email tomorrow and see if I can find out!

18. drac86

Society Trader

I will 100% take you up on that sometime in the next few months, I'm always up to check out a place's setup. I'm a school teacher so probably won't happen until the summer, but I was planning on heading up your way this July anyway so I'll shoot you a PM around that time. Cheers man, thanks for a good discussion.

simonok likes this.
  19. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana

I think the beer is so-so but everyone I've brought to St. Joseph's has been blown away by the space. The beer certainly isn't bad so it's worth stopping in.

drac86 likes this.
  20. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (287) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

I'm just being nosey about why you said to avoid Tow Yard? I am not disagreeing with you. I went there twice last year. First time it took forever to get beer and food, and the food was cold. Second time, beer was not good and took forever to get food. Once again, the food was cold. I am not sure how they stay open. Every time I have been there it has not been a good time. Their space is nice, but that is it.

21. drac86

Society Trader

Pretty much the same reasons - the beer isn't good. The space is awesome and I wish that someone would take it over and make better beer. I think they survive because they are right downtown and are easily accessible to visitors... the other problem with that is it gives visitors to Indy a bad impression of our beer scene.

Also, and I can't speak firsthand about it, but I've heard independently from several other people deeper into the scene that the owner is a real jerk, and that makes me dislike the brewery even more.

dcall384, kiwifuz and mayorQuimby like this.
  22. drac86

Society Trader

Yeah, I spaced St. Joe's, but it's a great space (it reminds me a lot of Taft's in Cincinnati), and the food is excellent. Most of their beer is kinda meh, but Confessional is a very solid option.

23. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (302) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Nor-Cal person checking in here. I'm in Indy 1-2 times a year, and have drank through quite a bit... I guess outside of a couple breweries, IN beer is just all around solid. Nothing amazing, just damned drinkable.

A couple specific thoughts:

3F: One of my all time favorites. Needs no further discussion
    18th St: I just can't get into their beers. They're ok, but I find the price point way too high, a lot of the beers are very average, and the attitude that i've gotten and seen just turns me off.
    Sun King: The brewery I love to hate and hate to love. Their normal shelf beers are just way too bland. I like to say they're brewed not to offend anyone. The KR stuff is typically fantastic. BA 666 was amazing, I love the Fistful series, GFJ is delicious. Their one offs are really tasty.
    Triton: I really enjoy their space, and enjoy their beers. Nothing amazing, just all around solid.
    Peoples: Again, all around solid, not a huge fan of their spot, but a couple of their IPAs are outstanding!
    Daredevil: Excellent spot, among the best pales and IPAs in the area.
    Fountian Square: Spot is boring, I've not had their beers in a while, but they were all nice. I liked their beer names.
    Metazoa: Nice beers, we got there with like 2 tour buses showed up. Guh.
    Flat 12: I very much enjoy their stouts, and beers in general. Solid Spot.
    Books and Brews: I enjoyed nothing here.
    Chilli Water: They have the hype, and awards, but I find their beer across the board to be very average. Nothing stands out, nothing amazing. I want to like them but can't.
    Upland: I enjoy their ales. Their sours physically hurt my body due to the high residual acids. Guh. Good food!
    Bier: A couple friends love their stuff, but I can't say I've had anything memorable.
    Scarlett Lane: I have had a couple horrible beers, a couple amazing beers here. Dig it!
    Black Acre: Very tasty beers, didn't care for the area it was in.
    Thr3e Wise Men: Great food, average beer.

ShaneP likes this.
  24. simonok

From our distro:

Off Prem

-Payless Carmel
    -vine and spirits
    -parti Pak Liquors north

On premise:
    -Pint Room carmel
    -hopcat
    -Tick Tock

25. weirdbeer

weirdbeer Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2007 Indiana

Thanks for checking. Based upon your prior post I checked Parti-Pak, and they do have Heatwave. Probably still have a couple of 4 packs left. I always forget about Pari-Pak is also up north. I called one Payless in Carmel who said they didn't have it. Apparently, Hopcat doesn't keep their draft list up to date either as it wasn't listed yesterday.

26. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana

It could just be not yet on tap at Hopcat

27. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Initiate (188) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

The online tap list for Hopcat cannot be relied upon. I used to go there a lot based on their online representations and was burned multiple times.

28. speedydd6

speedydd6 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2016 Indiana

Had a Heat Wave and Lucious Mounds tonight from Evil Czech. Wow!! So good!!

29. speedydd6

My brother and I are making the 2hr 45 min drive from Greencastle to Hammond to visit the 18th Street brewpub tomorrow.

30. speedydd6

Had Static Chipmunk from Evil Czech for the first time tonight; this brewery is on point!!

31. simonok

Cheers!

32. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

I'm a big fan of Quaff On! Brewing Company. Their common Necessity has replaced water in my diet, sooooo good!

33. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Go to big woods in speedway(west side) it's on the corner of tenth and main

34. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I've been drinking a lot of lager for the last couple of years. The Race Day lager from Daredevil is pretty tasty. I really dig their beers and taproom.

TargaFlorio likes this.
  35. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

i've been frequenting daredevil recently. Almost ready to call them the best brewery in the city. definitely in the conversation. Love their versatility.

TheodorHerzl likes this.
  36. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I've been trying to stop in on Fridays when I can for a pint and some to go beer. The variations they are doing with the NEX have been really good. This Friday is a double dry hop version with mosaic.

37. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (763) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

I tried 450 North's interpretation of a NE style IPA last night, "420 Juice". Still haven't had enough beers from that style to give it a complete evaluation. I'm a big Amarillo hops fan, so I enjoyed that aspect of it. Many of the 450 North beers I've had seem on the thin side, and this was no exception.

I was a bit surprised that it was being kept behind the counter at Parti Pak south. Never viewed their beers as "behind the counter" quality, but maybe its just because of the limited nature of the release.

38. simonok

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people, even brewers (myself included) have had enough NE style IPAs, basically the range within the style varies so much from Heady Topper style NEIPAs down through stuff like Monkish. The OG producers seems to contribute the haze as a by product of their process (dry hopping very early in fermentation) rather than, what most current brewers of the style do, which is 'bulk up on protein' and don't fine the beer.

We've been trying all these techniques, protein, dry hopping after 3 days, non floculating yeast etc I think we are fast approaching where we want to be for the styl

TargaFlorio likes this.
  39. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Taxman is a little south of Indy and they are having Death & Taxes day Saturday and I believe tickets are still available. They mainly focus on Belgian styles.

40. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

I was bummed to miss last weeks variant....hope to get in sometime this weekend for new one. Agree they have been really good!

TheodorHerzl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.