Indiana rating on beer state

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shoo65, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoo65

Shoo65 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Indiana

So I live in Indy and was wondering where they ranked on states with best breweries. Obviously not one or two but top 5? Give me your top 5 states for craft breweries. Mine are...
    1. California
    2. Michigan
    3. Indiana
    4. Colorado
    5. Florida

2. Jips

Jips Aspirant (233) Nov 29, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Hope you aren't counting 3Floyds, cuz that's Illinois' :grinning:. New Albanian, Sun King, and Upland are all fantastic. I look forward to the chain ones in downtown Indy for my annual gaming nerd convention too.
    I go 1.) Michigan 2.) California 3.) Illinois 4.) Wisconsin 5.)Colorado

3. Shoo65

With the way they ship, they are an Illinois brewery haha

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

In no specific order, I put California, Michigan, Oregon, Colorado and maybe Vermont in my top five. Ohio and Pennsylvania would also rank higher than Indiana in my opinion. Indiana puts out some fine beer but they have some stiff competition to break into the top 10.

5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (352) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Three Floyds is in Illinois. #1-Cali #2-Colorado #3-Oregon #4-Michigan #5- PA, Shoo love you man, but Florida top 5?

6. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 Kentucky

??? FFF Is in Munster, IN.

7. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

Cali Vermont NY Colorado PA in no particular order.

8. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,833) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

The top five, in my opinion and as a Hoosier...

California
    Michigan
    Oregon
    Colorado
    Illinois

Indiana is up and coming but until Sun King starts regularly canning their best stuff then Indiana can't he in consideration. Upland needs a sexier regular lineup. Then who? Bier doesn't bottle with the exception of their limited barleywine. Flat 12 doesn't bottle. Great Crescent is really good. Triton is just ok but up and coming. Don't homer.

And I can't believe you forgot Oregon. For shame!

JohnWaynes44 likes this.
  9. Shoo65

Agreed Oregon should be there, my bad haha, New Albanian has been doing some KILLER well priced beer. The wee muckle was really good but i agree that Sun King need to can more beers

10. jsilva

jsilva Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Vermont, Cali, Michigan, NY and Oregon

11. Shoo65

Im on some weird Cigar City kick right now, dont know why, but ive lined up a hunahpu (hopefully) and Zhukovs is one of the best stouts ive had in a while, I should of just said CCB haha

12. Shoo65

Yeah but it seems like 90% of their beer ships to Illinois

13. aasher

And I didn't include New Albanian because every bottle I've had from them has been mediocre or worse. They're much better on draft. They just need to get their bottling down before I can give them credit. The batch variation has been questionable.

14. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 Kentucky

I have never had a problem getting anything 3F here, with respect to Zombie Dust and DL. Maybe my area is a fluke. This area is stocked by two different companies though. One from Cincy and one from Indy.

15. aasher

And I love Cigar City, love them, but Florida has little else. I've only had Wide Awake its morning from Funky Buddah but aside from the big two, I don't give Florida much credit.

16. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've gone through this a few times and it changes from round to round. Currently, in best best to worst best order:

New York
    Michigan
    Massachucetts
    California
    Pennsylvania

CA dominates overall for a lot of BAs and I get that. Surely I love me some CA beer. But more brewers brew styles I like in NY and MA. Capt. Lawrence and Brooklyn are just two of NY's greats. MA is worth it for Pretty Things alone! :grinning: And MI Has founders, bell's and short's... 'nuff said!

17. Shoo65

I haven't had any of their stuff on tap, but Hoptimus was really surprising and so was Solidarity for me. Thunderfoot is WAY over priced, but it was still a good stout imo. The Yakima (130 IBU's) will be my next beer I get from them. I will keep a nose for batch variation from them, I've only had a bottle of each because of all the Goose Island Beers I've been buying.

18. Shoo65

Well DL and zombie dust are still brewery only, but its hard to find Dreadnaught, Gumballhead... the list can go on in Indy. Even at my really big store where downtown, shelfs are near empty

19. SalukiAlum

Trader

No love for Oregon. My wife and I spent 14 days traveling the state and hit up 21 breweries. Amazing shit out there!! They only distribute West coast (besides Deschutes, Full Sail, Rogue, Bridgeport, etc.), but amazing beer scene!! Just don't think many BA's are familiar with what the NW offers, especially Oregon. Small population, not close to anything major, but great microbrew!

20. aasher

FYI Kahns always has Dreadnaught and Arctic Panzerwolf. We get fresh cases every week.

21. Shoo65

I was at Kahns when I picked up my Bramble, and I didn't see Dreadnaught, maybe I was just unlucky?

22. aasher

Someone probably put an Arctic Panzer back in the wrong slot and in front of the Dreadnaught.

23. Shoo65

BTW just looked at your wall, Kahns got Gilgamesh??? Buddy popped a bottle this past weekend and it was extremely tasty

24. aasher

Three cases on Thursday. We only had maybe six left at Keystone after Saturday night.

25. SalukiAlum

Trader

like it lurchingbeast, but being a native of Illinois (visit quite often) and living in Colorado the last 5 years, Illinois doesn't hold a candle to Colorado. In fact Ft. Collins can almost take on the whole state of Illinois alone :slight_smile:

26. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,330) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

California, Oregon, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York

27. ricke49

ricke49 Initiate (0) May 2, 2004 Oregon

California, Oregon, Colorado, PA, Michigan

28. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Michigan, California, Ohio, Illinois, and Oregon.

29. JohnWaynes44

JohnWaynes44 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2007 Wisconsin

Agree, Sun King needs to step their game up and start canning more of their stuff. Their beers are very accessible on taps all around central Indiana and for that I commend them. They have done a great job of marketing. But when you can only get 3 of there beers in a store it's a problem.

my top 5:
    California
    Colorado
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Indiana

30. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

No offense, but from numerous posts I've seen on here (edit: meaning in other threads, not this one), I think Indiana has a pretty inflated view of its importance to the beer world. I'll agree w/ many others on here that California rules, followed (in no particular order) by Oregon, Michigan, Colorado, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, Alaska... even Washington beats most other states if you're talking about quantity - we are second only to California in number of breweries, with less than 20% of California's population. Cheers!

31. tsauce2

tsauce2 Zealot (540) Oct 12, 2011 Indiana

Yes, 3Floyds is in Munster. But literally, it is a pumpkin catapult/trebuchet launch away from Illinois.

Top 5:
    1. CA
    2. MI
    3. CO
    4. OR
    5. PA

I'd say my home sweet home is in contention for top 10.

32. footballnbeer

footballnbeer Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2010 Indiana

Three Floyd's is in Indiana, pays taxes in Indiana and lobbies Indiana legislature on behalf of craft brewers in the state. Sure it's geographically close to Chicago/IL but saying it is Illinois because it's close to the border would be similar to New Jersey claiming NYC because it's right across the river. Zombie Dust is the only beer not distributed in IN (outside of the brewery) that goes to limited Chicago accounts.

That said I don't think Indiana is close to the top five... maybe top ten. FFF is obviously world class and there are a lot of up and coming brewers in the marketplace but IN still has a long way to go/grow.

33. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I'm gonna base my list on my go-to beers.
    1. California.
    2. Oregon
    3. Maryland
    4. Massachusettes
    5. Colorado

34. yankeefan287

yankeefan287 Initiate (173) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

California, PA, Michigan, Colorado, New York

35. shangwang

shangwang Disciple (328) Aug 1, 2007 Pennsylvania

IMO: California, Oregon, Michigan, Colorado, PA

36. phisigben

phisigben Aspirant (205) Jan 8, 2009 Kentucky
    Trader

My top 5:
    Cali
    Michigan
    Oregon
    Vermont
    PA
    (Indy is 10 top easily I might put them at 6-8)
    Indy is making some noise but FFF and Upland can only carry the state so much I agree with aasher that Upland needs better regular lineup beers. SK needs to can more of these medal winning beers, and someone else needs to make a limited brewery only release like (DL, BT, KtG etc etc). Also you have to remember most of the other breweries in Indy are very young most are 3 years old or younger so how know in 2-3 years I can see Indy breaking into the top 5.

37. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,523) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

California for the win.

38. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Didn't someone compile a "top states" list a while ago using BA ratings with some formula? Really wish I could search the old forums right now to try and find it, but I vaguely recall a thread like that...

39. danfinegan3

danfinegan3 Initiate (62) May 5, 2010 Florida

FLORIDA?! really?! i like you clarification on really just being CCB, and although it is a GREAT brewery, it cannot not beat other whole states on its own

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.