Infected Prairies?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeReserva, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joah52

Joah52 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 Missouri

People should not give up on Prairie! The beer is great, just a hassle with the packaging side of things. Trade for it just specify NO WAX. which as far as I know they have not been waxing beer since April of this year (roughly). For what it's worth if you're looking for Bomb, or other prairie beers, PM me, maybe we can work something out.

2. Immutable_Dusk

Immutable_Dusk Initiate (132) Dec 16, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I've had problems with their stouts. Rusted caps even still after they stopped waxing. Their labels could be falling off and the bottles look like shit but if what's inside is lacking then there is obviously an issue. Every bottle I have had that there were issues there was a rusty cap. Had multiple infected vanilla noir and coffee noir, an infected beer that saved christmas, an infected bomb, and now the infected wine barrel noir. I've had a few bomb and besides the one the rest were good but I don't have a good batting average with Prairie. Whoever answers their emails is a terrible PR person as well. I'm just going to wait until these issues aren't common in these threads anymore, it's not worth my time when most of what I've had has had issues.

3. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

I honestly haven't seen that infections are common problems. The vanilla infection is pretty well documented but I haven't really read anyone else suggesting all the beers you mentioned are infected. The rusty caps however are very very well documented. Before you get defensive (as people often do on the internet) I'm not calling you out, I'm just saying that I haven't heard of all the issues you mention nor have I experienced them with any of the beers you mentioned. That said, if you're unhappy with them then you're totally justified avoiding their product.

4. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Not to mix subjects but I just drank an Alesmith Blue Jamaican Stout that had obvious rust issues around the cap. The beer however was excellent so I took the whole bottle down without regard to my Liver. Just out of curiosity from a man with no knowledge what cause this issue other than the obvious.

5. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (443) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i wonder how the infected... or affected bottles have traveled. could heat be a factor?

6. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

I've had plenty of Bomb!s and Noir variants, I've come across 1 infected vanilla and 1 infected coffee, all the rest of my coffees and vanillas were fine, no issues with Bomb!, Bible Belt, Noir or Wine Noir. I've had a couple rusty caps on the Bombs, but no problems with the beer itself. I think Prairie has resolved the issue, given the latest offerings I've had from them have been fine. I think it comes down to voting with your wallet, if you don't like their product, just don't buy it. I still think they produce some stellar stouts, but that's just my humble opinion.

klittle250 likes this.
  7. leaversuch

leaversuch Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Massachusetts

Never had any infection issues although I do find some of their beers a bit overrated, so maybe part of the issue is high expectations...

8. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (431) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Ive drank a ton of Bomb!

Bottles have had slight rust but beer has never been affected to my taste.

9. KeefD

KeefD Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2008 Minnesota

Had Coffee Noir last night. Definitely showing signs of infection. I've been completely underwhelmed by every beer I've had from them.

10. BergBeer

BergBeer Crusader (767) Aug 21, 2013 Virginia

Had a bible belt the other day that tasted like thin stout diluted more with chili water. Dont know if it was infected or what but it wasnt the world-class beer I really wanted it to be!

TGanyone likes this.
  11. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,152) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Since it's Even More Jesus + all the adjuncts that go into BOMB! It's not suppose to be thin.

12. Jono0284

Jono0284 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2008 Maryland

Had the a Noir and it was bad. I contacted the brewery (sorry if this has already been posted) and they said that the wax can cause a reaction. They said I should remove the wax on any bottles I had left. They also said that it shouldn't have caused any issues but I believe it or something else did.

13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Wow hope Prairie takes a better approach to this than did Short's.

For those who don't/can't remember, Short's told us all it was our fault, we stored his beers improperly.

14. xccris

xccris Initiate (65) Apr 27, 2014 Ohio

I bought a case of Bomb! when I stopped in Tulsa last month. They were orange waxed and so far (some people I sent some back to California haven't told me anything yet) one of the three I've had have been rusted. Prairie is playing tiddlywinks with my heart and taste buds.

15. TheVicster

TheVicster Disciple (336) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

This whole rusted cap issue sounds like quality control problems, most likely buying cheap materials. . Which, if that's he case, is very disappointing given the premium price they charge for their product.

16. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Bringing this thread back just to say that I just had another coffee and another vanilla... both infected. That makes me 6/6 on infections for Noirs. No problems with Bomb, but Noir is not worth trading for IMO. Too risky.

17. end_27

end_27 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 Illinois

Knock on wood I've traded for the following: Bomb!, Bible Belt, and the Noir Variants (Coffee, Prairie, Vanilla and Wine) multiple times and I've yet to receive and infected ones. I've had and still have the the Orange and Pink Wax along with the non-waxed white wrap ones...all good.

I had had friends who've received the supposed "rusted" cap Prairie's that haven't been so lucky unfortunately. I in return have shared mine no problem to make up the difference because they were bummed. I really hope if it's the overall product line or materials they're using to preserve their brews, they quit using immediately. It's such a great line of beers and would be extremely disappointed if they faultier in the Craft Beer World due to negligence.

18. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Had a Bomb! In a trade. He got that brew in a trade also. So it was shipped at least twice. No issue. Excited to try their other brews in the future. Cheers.

19. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,348) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Wax? No wax? Color of the wax?

20. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Waxed and the color was red I believe.

21. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

Just another infected Vanilla here, no mistaking it was straight up sour. The coffee noir I had foamed upon opening, but wasn't sour, just kinda bland, as was regular noir, Bomb, and Bible belt. Prairies lost my interest.

22. LAD

LAD Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2008 Texas

From all the negative comments its obvious that this brewery is really pumping out the garbage! And negative reviews are hard to find? Yes, the emperor is wearing a fine suit of clothes.

23. jlira

jlira Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 California

I havent seen any reports on this but I had a bottle of George that was also infected. Will not stop me though because I have a bible belt and a vanilla. Let's hope no issues with the other two.

24. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

I cracked an orange waxed Bomb! from my supply two nights ago and it was sublime. Still very coffee forward, sweet, chocolatey, sticky, and the vanilla is standing out well. Not much pepper to speak of, but there never really was when it was fresh either. I'll have to get some fresh ones when my stock is a year old and compare them.

Prairie releases Cherry Funk in about a week here. I'm not a sour ale guy, but I'm interested. This could be the one that delivers me to sour town...you never know.

25. JDonahue81

JDonahue81 Initiate (137) Jul 30, 2011 Wisconsin
    Trader

I just cracked open a Bomb I got from a trade without wax and the taste was totally off. Tart and there were signs of oxidation on the cap. There was also a lot of sediment and did not taste like the Bombs I've had before.

Like others, my Vanilla Noir was a drain pour, but my Wine was fine. I thought the problems were just on the waxed caps of Bomb, but this was unwaxed and purchased fairly recently. Frustrating and an expensive trade drain pour.

26. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (324) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

I purchased my no wax Bomb in CO. on a road trip and and paid $9 a pop for 4. Opened one with my Bro and was disappointed! Infected!! I've had Bomb on tap and was blown away!! Scared to try the other 3!!

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,680) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I had a vanilla I drain poured a while ago, don't know if it was infected but it tasted like shit.

mlhyatt likes this.
  28. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,276) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I won't give up on them. In fact I will be in St. Louis in late October. I've scanned the database for places to pick up beer to take home. Do you have any specific knowledge? Which would be the best spot to pick up some Prairie? Best store in your opinion regardless of a search for Prairie?

29. hurleymanvw

hurleymanvw Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2007 Georgia

Randall's had a good bit of Prairie when I was there in June, even had bomb just sitting on the self
    Lukas Liquor also had a good bit

Sludgeman likes this.
  30. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (324) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

I was going to give one of my Bombs as an extra in a trade and last minute changed my mind. Good thing. It was bad!! Really disappointed!

31. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa

Just opened an infected vanilla. Fart.

32. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

This. Both vanilla and coffee noir were just plain awful. No idea if it was supposed to taste like it did but I would not have distributed anything that tastes like that.

On the other hand, I popped a Bomb open a few months ago and it was absolutely delicious!

33. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

Bought my first two Prairie beers a few weeks back on my trip to KY. I got Puncheon and Prairie Ale, the latter of which was infected horribly. It was like I unleashed some sort of foam volcano. First beer I've ever had with this issue.

34. Joah52

Joah52 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 Missouri

Man come on this thread is ridiculous. Prairie had trouble w/ WAX ON THE CAPS AND WATER GETTING TRAPPED UNDER THE WAX, RUSTING OUT THE CAP. Now you got guys on here saying their beer was bad that has NEVER been wax capped. Come on...You guys think shelton bros. is going to deliver beer if it's this bad? Crazy. And by the way, the problem has been fixed.

sssence likes this.
  35. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (305) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

The only infected Prairie I've ever had was the vanilla noir. Everything else has been amazing. Pirate bomb may be one of the best stouts I've tried so far.

36. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aspirant (275) Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

I haven't had any problems with my Bombs either, very very good. Loved my Spaghetti Western also!

37. SatchmoDavis

SatchmoDavis Initiate (74) Aug 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

For what it's worth, I had two infected Vanilla Noir last night.

38. Littlelotte88

Littlelotte88 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 Connecticut

Ah darn I am about to trade for a coffee and vanilla, prob shouldn't now

39. HopFace

HopFace Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

Personally, I wouldn't.

40. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aspirant (275) Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

No avoid the Vanilla.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.