Infinity Bottle

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Dtapeski, Jul 1, 2019.

1. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,243) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Thanks, I got the decanter off Amazon for around $15, pretty solid and cool looking. The peat in this Infinity is the smallest amount of all additions for sure, I added them just to have a little of it all, and to add some more complexity, to sort of make my own little blend with strong sherry fruit notes, bourbon cask sweetness and some peaty smoke. I figure if I just want that sherry taste I'll sip on some GlenDronach or Glenfarclas rather than the blend, though it was a nice sweet sherry/port monster there for a while, I felt like it needed a little more complexity, to sort of make more of like a sherry cask Islay or something, though with less peat in it. Overall I would definitely say the peat level in here is low, probably a solid 3/10. I don't plan on adding any more Islay peat anytime soon at least, and if I do it will be minimal amounts like the drops of the 3 Islays that I've added so far. I think if I start to fill this bottle up more with Scotch whiskies that I have on hand other than the peated ones it will balance out a little more, just trying to figure out what direction to go in, maybe more bourbon cask sweetness to balance it all out so it isn't too much sherry either, I have to see what I've got in the bottles. I also enjoy the whiskies themselves so not sure. Been thinking about some Auchentoshan American Oak bourbon cask too that I could throw in to thin it out a little maybe, not sure yet. I don't want to fill it up too much, and don't want it to be too one dimensional either, while still using a little of everything that I have. It's a fun experiment. Cheers!

#81 StoutElk_92, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Bigrock, jkblr and Premo88 like this.
  2. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,091) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Very cool.

Have you had anything from Springbank? I mention it because that's the level of peat I shoot for with my Infinity Bottle No. 1, a Scotch/Irish hybrid. Springbank peat is well less than Islay-level peat but plenty still to get some smoke/ash from it. It's the dangdest of dances to get that blend just right, and you've got the right idea: add peat with caution. It's shocking how little peat it takes to turn a blend peaty.

Bigrock and StoutElk_92 like this.
  3. StoutElk_92

Society

Haven't had Springbank yet, sounds good though. I only added the smallest drop of Laphroaig at the beginning and could barely taste it with all the sherry casks I had in, then a very small amount of Lagavulin 8 which didn't do too much, then a drop of Lag 16 after the doppelbock tasting to balance out a little of the sherry, though now it feels a bit spicy and smoky, with some nice chocolate briny notes, but the rest of the whiskies could probably be added in to enhance now and drown out some of that Lagavulin briny peat. Definitely trying to keep the peat down to a minimum while still staying present.

Bigrock and Premo88 like this.
  4. Premo88

Society

It's funny how tasty just a wee bit of peat can be, no? And like you say ... you've already got good unpeated bottles on your shelf, so why not try to create something different by adding peat to them?

All this talk made me reach for my Infinity Bottle No. 1:
    [​IMG]
    The peat level in this bottle is a long story, but over time I've settled on trying to dial it into the Longrow Red range, which I'd argue is same as Springbank (same distillery) and a very medium level of peat. Well less than Islay, more than most Highland peated malts.

This current version of Infinity Bottle No. 1 is very Springbank-funky in the nose (A+) and damn near spot on mediumis peat in the flavor with loads of fruit, cooked fruits and confectionary sweetness playing with the funky smoke (B+/A). Damn ... and it's awfully drying in the finish, which for some reason I always like.

The previous version of this infinity bottle perfectly nailed a smokey caramel flavor. This current version has a bit more fruit flavor than caramel. Still very good, but I'll have to ponder how to get that smokey caramel thing going again on the next fill. It's always been a Scotch/Irish hybrid with some American malt thrown in, but I may toss in a bit of bourbon/Canadian whisky next fill in search of the caramel note. :thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face:

One thing's for certain: I will have no trouble drinking this bottle down to the halfway mark. :wink:

Cheers!

StoutElk_92, Bigrock and jkblr like this.
  5. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,952) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Moving on up...
    [​IMG]
    My Scotch/Irish infinity bottle just graduated from 4 ounces to 200mL.

Here's the final drops of Lagavulin 16...
    [​IMG]
    Added 4 ounces of previously mixed whisk(e)y with the last drops of Lagavulin and two ounces of Buchanan's 12 year.

I was in a big panic to get a 375mL bottle of something to continue the progression, but I believe I'm going to go off the rails and build a separate infinity mix based on one of the other whiskies in the 200mL mix pack. Talisker 10 or Cragganmore 12? I'll probably not include any peat on that one. I'll sample both eventually then combine them in a 750mL.

I like pot still, I like peat, I like sherry...
    Surely they'll all like each other...

StoutElk_92, Bigrock and Premo88 like this.
  6. jkblr

Society Trader

Bending the bottle back into rye territory
    [​IMG]
    I set aside a sample bottle at the current status, poured an ounce for myself, then added 2 ounces from each of these ryes. Michter's single barrel 84.8 proof and Kings County Rye 102 proof.

15 bourbons, 10 ryes, 1 Tennessee whiskey as sampled.

Aroma is sweet cinnamon and pie baking spice. The taste is more sweet cinnamon along with oak, and toffee. Nice, long finish that let's you know the ABV is up there, but doesn’t really burn.

I'll try to stay out of this mix for a while and let that rye work. Cheers all!

7. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,730) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Finally analyzing my long-time-coming infinity bourbon bottle. I haven't paid close attention to what's in it at all. Just a half to full ounce each of a bunch of things (bourbon and rye) into a 375 mL bottle.

Surprisingly... it's pretty good to me. There's a pretty sweet note up front, but a rye spicy note in back. The latter grows out of the former nicely.

Completely accidental production of enjoyment on my part. Cheers!

8. Premo88

Society

Sometimes I finish sessions with a pour from the family bourbon:
    [​IMG]
    Has anybody else run into old bottle effect? The awful OBE?

I mention it because if you ever do, call timeout. If 90% of the aroma/flavor is amazing but that other 10% is plastic and all OBE-ey, turn it into the base of an infinity bottle. That's what I did above with some bourbon bottled in the 1940s. If that doesn't make sense, read earlier posts in this thread ... I've dragged out this bottle 10+ times. Or DM me. Or just watch some of Ralfy's videos on infinity bottles/OBE/blending at home. He knows his stuff.

Cheers!

9. Premo88

Society

Infinity Bottle No. 1 ... the Scotch/Irish hybrid with some peat
    [​IMG]
    The target for this bottle has been the 2017 Longrow Red Malbec release, a sweet, smokey, grape jammy dram that's so Springbank funky/grape tasty it alters your perception of what whisk[e]y can be. I don't know how, but by the grace of the whisk[e]y gods and with a bit of patience, this bottle is hitting the edges of that target.

About 3-4 months ago, the bottle was in a smokey caramel range that was stunningly good. Now it's more on the smokey fruity side, which means closer to that Longrow Red target. It's so tasty that I will *NOT* be adding the heel of my Port Charlotte 10 nor any other whisk[e]y to it today, which I was planning to do. It's too good to F with.

I'll drink it down to the halfway mark then worry about topping it up when we get there.

Cheers!

10. Premo88

Society

Infinity Bottle No. 2, a sherry monster single malt blend:
    [​IMG]
    I filled it into the neck on May 17, so it's been resting for a couple weeks.

This first pour is a lesson in how a little of some things can go a long way — in this case, it's the American single malts from Balcones I added last fill, mainly Mirador and Brujeria. There's plenty other Texas malts in the bottle, too, but they're outweighed heavily by Glenfarclas, Glendronach, Tamdhu, Edradour and other Scotch single malts aged in ex-sherry casks/sherry-season casks. Still, the Texas malts from Balcones are pushing in their woody influence.

The combination is an awfully tasty dark-fruit/leather/tobacco flavor that lingers forever and reminds me of Pap-Pap smoking a cigar in his old two-story wooden home in Hastings, PA. It's sweet but complex. Adding come cask strength whisky from Aberlour, Glengoyne and GlenAllachie have given the development a big lift.

It's going to take some sipping to work on this bottle and decide to add what next. In this moment, I'm tempted to add only Scotch single malts and no Texas/American malt next fill, but we'll let the journey decide it for us. :wink:

Cheers!

11. jkblr

Society Trader

Infinity project #2
    Scotch/Irish blend

First try poured before adding the Cragganmore 12
    [​IMG]
    There's a charcoal like peat lying right beneath the sherry in the nose compliments of the few drops of Lagavulin 16 and the ounce of Dalmore 12. The taste is gentle peat, honey, sherry, barley sugar, and (unfortunately) a little ethanol heat from the JWR. The feel is full and rich from the ounce of Writer's Tears Copper Pot plus the Dalmore. The Jameson's and Buchanan's (literally) blend right in. Pretty good start for some less than premium bottles going in. It will be interesting to experience the development as the ratio of single malt and quality Irish whiskey increases.

Cheers all!

12. jkblr

Society Trader

My first infinity bottle needed some attention as well.
    [​IMG]
    Ironically, my last addition of 2x2 oz of rye moved the nose away from cinnamon and more minty/herbal/woody. The taste sweetened up a little too, but the cinnamon is still prominent with the wet wood and herbal notes in the background. The finish has warmed up a touch, but has a nice duration and isn't unpleasant.

28 different whiskies involved as of this taste. It's been taking fairly big swings adding 2 to 4 ounces every time and is likely to be quite different a month from now with the latest addition of 2 ounces of Angel's Envy.

Cheers all!

cjgiant, Premo88 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  13. Premo88

Society

Time for a pour from my sherry-monster infinity bottle:
    [​IMG]
    At the risk of hurting myself as I pat myself on the back, allow me to ask a question:

How do you do keep an infinity bottle in perfect range after achieving perfection?

I ask b/c I'm declaring this bottle perfect.

The blend is now mixing old dunnage notes with youthful ABV power and delivering all of the Christmas cake/Glenfarclas//Tamdhu/GlenDronach-type sherry-cask flavors I love most in a perfect form. The arrival is soft, almost watery, but everything rushes in to start a development that carries you through dark-dried fruits, vanilla birthday cake, spicey wood tannins, leather (not too much) and old wooden house notes, sweet but barley musty, too, then subsides into a finish that lingers forever.

It's so good I might put away 4 oz. in a sample bottle to revisit down the road. I can't get over how tame the arrival is but how long the development/finish are. If you like that kind of whisk[e]y, then maybe follow my path, which is start your blend with 43% whisk[e]ys and lower ABV drams, give them plenty of time to marry, drink it down to halfway, then top it up with a mix of everything from 40 to 60+%ers and pour big from the bigger ABV bottles ... I say that because a fill or two ago I thought this bottle was watery, and I knew it was watery b/c the ABV was sub-43% based on everything I'd put in it. During the next fill I made a point to boost it's ABV.

Originally I thought I screwed up by starting this project with lower ABV whiskys, but now I see it may have led me to a richer, more complex form over 2-3 fills. It was an accident, really. A happy accident, and about the only thing I did to help it happen is be patient.

I feel obligated to re-post this, which will help you if you're new to infinity bottles and can help serve as a refresher course if you're not:

Sláinte!

StoutElk_92, Bigrock and jkblr like this.
  14. Premo88

Society

Pour from Monkey's Bottle, an infinity bottle started from a heel of Monkey Shoulder then filled with single malt Scotch and Texas (Balcones) whiskys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a butterscotch and Christmas cake medley ... very nice and not showing much of the Texas single malt, which is frankly perfect. I only put a few splashes of that in the bottle to say it's in there. :wink:

Cheers, dog and whisk[e]y fans!

15. jkblr

Society Trader

Good evening all
    I've been taking some small pours from this bourbon & rye bottle over the last two months
    [​IMG]
    Aroma is fantastic. Cherry, oak, caramel, cinnamon and different every time you inhale. The taste is a lot of the same with even more nuance. Charred oak, wet wood, cinnamon, cherry, leather, toffee, caramel and so on. Mouthfeel and staying power have increased with a large portion of the mix being 100 proof now.

I've been taking it slow on this project as I have nothing to add in the way of bourbon or rye. I've been revisiting some samples of whiskey that I first tried over a year ago and playing with my Scotch & Irish blends more. Not to mention stumbling into some very good rum... No new American whiskey bottles opened for 2 months:astonished:! The infinity bottle itself is very good as is, so I'll not super motivated to add to it right now.

I'm thinking I'm due to open a good bourbon soon, so we'll see what happens then. Cheers all!

16. Premo88

Society

Infinity Bottle No. 1 test (Scotch-Irish hybrid):
    [​IMG]
    The target for this bottle is the 2017 Longrow Red 13 Malbec. Two fills ago, I got it into a fantastic smokey caramel range, last fill into a smokey fruit range ... both were bordering on 10/10 drams.

Sadly, that magical run is over. This latest fill is good, arguably very good, for it comes off like Springbank 15, which is a $100+ bottle widely considered excellent. But Springbank 15 is also very straightforward ex-bourbon cask single malt whisky. It doesn't have the grape jam and berry jam flavors of the Longrow Red, and that's what I've lost in this infinity bottle.

No worries. I filled it on July 8 and just popped it today, so it needs at least a month or two to develop with some air in the bottle. I'll sample from it until I get the fill level into or below the shoulder, then decide if I want to season it with some more cask-driven whisky or see if it's transformed into something tastier.

Cheers!

cjgiant, Squire, StoutElk_92 and 2 others like this.
  17. StoutElk_92

Society

So I picked up some Hennessy early in the week and I just ordered a new decanter with an overstock coupon, so decided to do the unruly and mix a little Cognac and Rum into a Whisky Infinity to give it a little extra spirit flavor. I love me some Hennessy and Diplomatico rum so I figured what can go wrong. Decided some American/Bourbon cask whiskies would work alright, with a little help from The Macallan as well. It was pretty tasty, unfortunately I didn't give it enough time to meld in the bottle and I drank most of it down during the week with some ice here and there. Now I'm filling it back up and will taste again soon after it settles for a couple of weeks.

Tastes like honey, almonds, caramel, nutty woody oak, hints of spice, orchard fruit notes, apple, pear, lemony orange citrus, floral earthy herbs, subtle vanilla and chocolate linger with lightly tropical sweet molasses-like dark rum, some cognac fruitiness, pretty smooth and tasty, good stuff. Poured a little Hennessy and Diplomatico on the bottom and on top of the final whisky blend. Added some Glenlivet 12, Auchentoshan American Oak, Tomatin Dualchas, Macallan 12yr Double Cask, and a small drop of Laphroaig 10 after to make things a little more interesting. Just added some Aberfeldy 12 to the mix as well on the second fill up. Turned out pretty good I think, had a friend enjoy it as well. This time have to try not to drink it so quick.:stuck_out_tongue: Cheers all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#97 StoutElk_92, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    cjgiant, Squire, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  18. Premo88

Society

Very interesting mix.

I've been playing with crossing whisk[e]y streams and adding bourbon/rye to single malts but haven't thought of crossing spirit streams. Your particular blend must've been tasty. I mean, if you were enjoying it that much without giving it time to meld together, that sounds like a winning combination.

Thanks for posting and giving us home blenders food for thought!

Bigrock and StoutElk_92 like this.
  19. StoutElk_92

Society

Glad I can inspire. :blush: The blend was definitely tasty, little sweet, honey richness, toasty nutty, vanilla, some rum sweetness and Cognac fruitiness. I drank it down quickly actually because other than some Nite Lite beers it was the only alcohol I had with me for the week while I was away after I made it. It was sort of inspired by the Cognac cask Scotches like Glenlivet, and I figured why not rum too since I have some left and don't drink it often. I refilled it last night and added some Aberfeldy 12 because some of the other whiskies are getting low, and it had a nice little smokiness lingering from the Laphroaig that was leftover in the last half pint or so that was left. I think in a few weeks it will be an interesting dram again. Cheers! :nerd:

Squire, jkblr, Bigrock and 1 other person like this.
  20. Premo88

Society

Yes on the rum. I've got about a 1/4 bottle of Zacapa 23 that's almost dead on the vine ... it's the most over-oxidized spirit I've ever had on my shelf but it isn't ruined. It's just very, very flat. I might play with some rye/rum and malt/rum combos in the glass and see if I can't find a final resting place for the Zacapa.

The Zacapa rum will *not* be going into my sherry monster infinity bottle, which has been resting for 3 weeks and is ripe for a test taste:
    [​IMG]
    The nose is almost identical to the GlenAllachie 2008 12-year-old single casks I've tried. Lots of brown sugar and wood. The more I dig, the more I get leather, tobacco and fruitcake ... toffee and maple syrup too. But dark sweet wood leads the aromas.

The flavor is outright wrong it's so good. I was worried I'd turned the bottle into an exact copy of the GlenAllachie single casks (too much brown sugar/virgin oak wood flavor), but that isn't the case at all. It's much more leathery and tobacco-ey with loads and loads of Christmas cake, fruitcake, Dr. Pepper cream icing and good Glenfarclas 25 vanilla iced old wooden home flavors. Not a ton of brown sugar. The older stock (GlenDronach 18 and Bunnahabhain 18 in particular) is really pulling its weight in the flavor.

The development may be the highlight. It starts off almost thin and watery then immediately grows and grows to the point of being a full-on assault of both drying wood tannins and big yummy sweet flavors. Very complex and a fun ride. I can't even guess at the ABV at this point, but it starts off feeling like 40% and finishes around 60%.

I'm not sure I can make this bottle much better as far as the sherry monster thing goes. It does get a wee bit leathery for my tastes the more I sip it, so I might use the next fill to experiment with adding younger, more bourbon-cask forward malts just for Ss and Gs. I don't want to sweeten it too much, but a little fruity bourbon-cask malt like Balblair 2003 certainly won't hurt it.

Sláinte!

21. Premo88

Society

Putting some air in the Huevos Memorial Bourbon bottle so I can fix it:
    [​IMG]
    Let's just say a little Brimstone goes a loooooooong way, know what I'm sayin? Let it be a lesson to the kids out there: Don't start adding S to your infinity bottles after 2 a.m. and many, *many* drams of whisk[e]y. :wink::grimacing::stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

jkblr, StoutElk_92 and Bigrock like this.
  22. jkblr

Society Trader

My newest project
    [​IMG]
    4 ounces of Zacapa 23
    4 ounces of Rum Fire 151
    8 ounces of Appleton Estate Signature

I'll let this sit for a while before a straight sample. It's the ratio I've been using in some drinks and it performs well there. I'm only at 48.875% ABV by my calculations, so it's a versatile proof right now.

Premo88, StoutElk_92 and Bigrock like this.
  23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,422) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Here is the start of my infinity bottled, which is focused solely on rye whiskeys. Rye is by far away my favorite form of whiskey, and wanted to keep a rolling, spicy batch of whiskey in the cabinet for fun.

[​IMG]

First pours:
    3oz Willett 4yr Rye @ 110 proof
    1.5oz Woodford Reserve Rye

Wanted to start with a solid foundation, and that Willett is just that. Now I've got to pick something else up to add. Double Rye smaller bottle to add some more whiskey, then transiting to a different bottle faster? Higher end High West? Rittenhouse? Time will tell.

24. Premo88

Society

Good deal! You're going to have fun with that bottle. :clap::clap::clap:

StoutElk_92, Bigrock and Harrison8 like this.
  25. Harrison8

Society Trader

Thank you! Now I'm just wondering what else I need to add. I feel like Rittenhouse needs to be added to my home bar since it's one of spicier ryes, and I'm into that. I've been trying to find Pikesville 6yr to no avail.

The local distillery - J. Rieger's - has released their first distilled and aged in Missouri whiskey, and it's a 6yr rye. Just reluctant to pick it up at the price without hearing any thoughts on it from others. At that price point ($50), I'm reluctant to buy just based on homerism, but it may make a nice addition to the infinity bottle.

26. Premo88

Society

Pikesville is my favorite rye FWIW. Hopefully, you can find it.

I also enjoy Rittenhouse and am always shocked it doesn't get more love here. Some find it harsh or hot. I thought it was a perfect sipper but what do I know? Either way, it should be perfect for an infinity bottle ... unless you're going for a 100% rye blend. I think both Pikesville and Rittenhouse are 51% rye.

Is there any way you can try some J. Rieger's rye before commiting to a full bottle?

Squire, Bigrock and Harrison8 like this.
  27. Harrison8

Society Trader

Everything I hear about Pikeville makes me want it. It's one of the only bottles I'd buy on sight at this point.

I want a little more spice. No requirement to be 100% rye.

Good question. I'll look around and see if I can find a pour of it. I haven't seen it anywhere just yet.

Premo88 and Bigrock like this.
  28. Premo88

Society

Any of you ever sock away 2 or 4 oz. of your infinity bottle into a sample bottle?

I have. And now I'm testing "vintages" in the Great Scotch/Irish Hybrid Infinity-Off:
    [​IMG]
    Four drams poured into black glencairns with wee stickers on the bottom to identify which is which. Being tested are ...

• Current Scotch/Irish infinity bottle (Highland Park bottle on right)
    • 1/24/21 version of same (smokey caramel)
    • 7/8/21 version of same (smokey fruit)
    • Westland/Islay peated blend (bottle on left)

And they're off!
    [​IMG]
    As I suspected, the 1/24/21 version of this infinity bottle (the "smokey caramel" version) is my favorite with the Westland blend lagging way, way, waaaay behind in last place. Surprisingly, the current version of the infinity bottle is very on par with the older two versions despite having a goodly bit of the Westland blend in it.

I'm glad I broke down and bought the black glencairns; they're much better for these kinds of do-it-yourself blind tastings than regular glencairns, through which you often can guess the lineup. And I'm glad I put away some of the 1/24/21 version of this infinity bottle. It was the best that bottle's tasted since I started it two years ago. It's a reminder of how good I can get the blend with the right ingredients.

Cheers!

29. jkblr

Society Trader

First taste of this rum infinity bottle
    [​IMG]
    4 oz Zacapa 23
    8 oz Appleton Estate Signature
    4 oz Rum Fire 126 proof
    Used 2 ounces in a Cuba Libre
    1 oz Sailor Jerry
    Poured 1 ounce tonight

The Rum Fire absolutely dominates. Big funk with sweetness and a hint of oak. Right at 45% ABV right now. I still think this is going to be more of a mixed drink bottle than a sipper. I'll still check in occasionally to see what's going on.

30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,624) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I've had several infinity bottles over the years, more by accident than design, yet wasn't displeased with any of them.

Premo88, jkblr, Harrison8 and 2 others like this.
  31. jkblr

Society Trader

So I finally filled my 200mL infinity bottle of Scotch Irish mix and graduated it into a 750 with an additional 3 ounces of Glenmorangie Lasanta
    [​IMG]
    11 ounces total with only .5 ounces of peated malt and 4 ounces of sherry cask single malt. There's still some rough edges from the Johnny Walker Red, but it's starting to taste like a nice blended scotch. The aroma has elements of the Speyside Cragganmore 12, charcoal and sherry casks. 5 drops of water subdue the peat enough for the sherried malt to come through. Finish is relatively short and relatively hot.

I've still got some Writer's Tears Copper Pot and Dalmore 12 (there's already an oz of each) held back in small bottles and a 200 of Talisker 10 to open. Those will all go in at the next addition.

Cheers all!

32. Premo88

Society

Family bourbon infinity pour:
    [​IMG]
    It's great, but I mainly posted in here to ask if any of you have used decanters?

Cheers!

33. Squire

Society Trader

I have in the past but not for a long time now.

34. jkblr

Society Trader

Adding, combining and sampling
    [​IMG]
    Consolidated my Irish & Scotch projects and added 1.5 ounces of Talisker

I added 2 ounces each of these bottles a few days ago to the Bourbon & Rye bottle
    [​IMG]
    Now a pour
    [​IMG]
    Almost double the bourbon content to rye now. Nose is caramel, toffee, cherry, and slight ethanol (reminds me of the Angel's Envy that I wish I would not have added). Taste is sweet with caramel and oak, rye spice, cinnamon, a hint of herbal mint / dill. Finish is lasting, a bit hot, spicy & oaky. Probably had to add 8 - 10 drops of water to get this glass calmed down in addition to 20 or 30 minutes of waiting. It's a good bottle. I need to stop adding things I don't enjoy.

Squire, StoutElk_92 and Premo88 like this.
  35. StoutElk_92

Society

I've noticed the Angel's Envy takes over quite a bit in the Infinity bottle with it's strong red fruity port flavor. I enjoy it in my Bourbon/Rye Infinity, but it does have a strong influence, especially paired with the Old Forester 1910 which I get some cherry out of. I enjoy them both when in the mood. Cheers!

Premo88, Bigrock and jkblr like this.
  36. StoutElk_92

Society

Sipping on my Scotch Infinity bottle right now that was last added to a few weeks back. This is drinking pretty nice, slightly smoky, peaty, briny, some red fruity port wine notes, sherry dried fruits, some honey, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla, hints of chocolate, oak, minty floral earthy herbs, some spice, real nice. Cheers all!

The whiskies in here are:

Tomatin Dualchas
    Tomatin 14yr tawny port cask
    Aberfeldy 12yr
    Johnnie Walker White Walker
    The Glendronach 12yr
    The Glendronach 15yr
    Laphroaig 10yr
    The Glenlivet 12yr
    The Macallan Double Cask 12yr
    Glenfarclas 25yr
    Lagavulin 8yr
    Lagavulin 16yr
    Auchentoshan American Oak
    Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban

[​IMG]

Squire, jkblr, Premo88 and 1 other person like this.
  37. Premo88

Society

Sounds like you're getting it where you want it. And yes ... adding things you don't like can certainly fail. But my bet is you'll be able to blend out or blend over the Angel's Envy.

Y'all have got my nostrils flaring like a war horse scenting the nearby battle. :stuck_out_tongue: Four of my five infinity bottles are filled to the brim and have been for weeks ... just a question of right time, right place before I dig into them.

Squire, Bigrock, jkblr and 1 other person like this.
  38. Squire

Society Trader

Line those soldiers up and order them to do their duty.

Premo88 and Bigrock like this.
  39. Premo88

Society

Infinity Bottle No. 1 test 1 (Scotch/Irish hybrid):
    [​IMG]
    There's 30+ whisk[e]ys in this bottle, maybe 40 ... I'll have to count them again. The last two times I topped it up, however, only one whisky went in, or malt from one distillery: Westland. It did a nice job of filling it out without dumbing down the better flavors already in the bottle.

So that's good.

But this dram isn't great anymore, or at least this first "neck pour" isn't as great as it should be. It is chock-full of power and must be clocking close to 50% ABV, which *is* great, and I can tell there's still loads of great Longrow Red smokey butter+grape jam notes and Irish fruit notes dancing underneath the layer of young-tasting malt, and that's great.

So I think the plan now is to work it down to as close as half full as I can stand then refill it with the best of the best stuff on my shelves at the time. It's certainly not bad, plenty of nice peach pie flavor with a hint of peat smoke, and who knows? Maybe a little air/time in the bottle will get those sweeter, yummier notes dancing to the top ... wait ... there goes one. A pinch of caramel.

:slight_smile:

Cheers, all!

40. Premo88

Society

Infinity bottle No. 2 (sherry monster single malt blend):
    [​IMG]
    Perfect. Tastes like a vanilla Dr. Pepper sundae with butterscotch sauce sprinkled with European oak wood tannins.

Cheers!