Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Infusing Beer w/ French Press

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by bpgpitt10, May 24, 2013.

1. bpgpitt10

I came across this article and can't really decide what I think about it. I know a lot of people get pissy about "beer cocktails", but the summer heat has me actually considering giving this a try. I know it's not that close to a firkin, but I feel like the concept resembles the unique additives that people put in firkins.

Soooo... whatcha think?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...s-spices-cocoa-nibs.html?ref=pop_serious_eats

2. Eriktheipaman

Beer Trader

I say go for it, although personally it's not for me but I don't see any harm. I would think the beer would come out fairly flat but you could come up with some fun combos.

It would be fun to infuse some of these beers with different things and experiment cooking with them after.

3. UCLABrewN84

I was at a tasting recently where someone did this with toasted coconut and a mixture of stouts. It turned out fantastic.

queens1130 likes this.
  4. GRG1313

Beer Trader

No, it turned out to be one of the best beers out of the approximate 150 tasted, as I recall! I'd never seen this done before and thought it was pure bogus nonsense. The first pressing after a very short saturation was great. The beer after about an hour, or so, was absolutely fantastic, as UCLABrewN84 has stated!

queens1130 likes this.
  5. fistfight

Beer Trader

That sounds awesome. Do you have any idea how many ounces of coconut was used per ounce of beer? I assume you can just toast the coconut in the oven until it's fragrant, right?

6. HugeBulge

Beer Trader

I recently got a keg of bcbs on my kegerator and have been doing a lot of this. I let some sumatran coffee beans and some vanilla sit in 2-3 oz then strain it and top off my glass. Comes out amazing

7. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

I've been in a brewery in NC that is starting to do this.

They have their IPA "base" beer, and a boat load of whole leaf hops and a french press. They let ya dryhop kinda like ya would in a firkin, and do the beer how you want it.

Pretty cool idea.

I've done it before at home and it works great to play around with and mix it up.

8. TheBigEast

Beer Trader

Hell of a lot cheaper than the Randall - going to have to give it a try - Cheers!

9. syu3003

My mind just got blown. Gonna try this tonight. My french press is going to be way over used now... I'm gonna try all sorts of crazy shit!

Thanks for the post!

10. Retail1LO

11. smakawhat

Subscriber

12. queens1130

Beer Trader

He did the same thing recently at the Brown Bag Night because we had duplicate bottles. Chris told us that he put enough beer to just to cover the coconuts completely, steeped 10min, & combined with remainder of the bottle. Tasted amazing.

13. brewsader

Beer Trader

in my experience of french press dry-hopping, the beer warms up, flattens out and gives a slight vegetal taste but the hop aroma is significantly augmented. i still dont know if it's worth it.

14. kdb150

This sounds like the optimal use of this technique. Cheers!

15. bpgpitt10

Just curious... what are you using for the vanilla? Full vanilla beans? I only ask because I feel like those get super pricey fast so seeing if you have a better alternative.

I also just realized that many of the things we have discussed are all LARGE... as in, a french press is actually unnecessary with the fine mesh. To stop the worry about lower carbonation, I'm betting you could add straight to the bottle then pour the bear through a mesh strainer that wouldn't be as fine as a french press. Should accomplish the job and limit carbonation loss. Just an idea!

16. syu3003

Recently did this with BCBS and 2 full vanilla beans. Shaved it in and ground the rest with a mortal and pestle and let the vanilla press through the coffee after marinating in it from a "pour over" about an hour or so. Turned out to be way too much vanilla but the good thing is that it integrated well into the beer... just too well. Next time Ill hold off on the vanilla and marinating time a bit, and see how it goes. Beans can be expensive, but I predict that if you get the formula right, you can make some really outstanding infused beer and open up a new dimension of your own variant tastings. Works great as well with all of my "hipster" coffee, as they say.

17. HugeBulge

Beer Trader

i bought 2 beans and some extract. the extract is way more cost effective.

18. leftyhyzer

Beer Trader

I pay $3.50 for 5 fresh whole vanilla beans at a fresh produce market. And I only use a half of one per 2 bottles. Vanilla is very strong. Not that expensive.

Modernrickk likes this.
  19. leftyhyzer

Beer Trader

For a tasting tomorrow. Muddled rapsberry, chocolate, vanilla bean and marshmellow fluff bourbon county french press variant. Steep 1 bottle for 8 hour then add second bottle hour before drank. Second time making this. And its as amazing as it looks and sounds. Cheers ppl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. CajunMary13

I would have never thought of this. This is genius and the possibilities are actually endless.

21. CajunMary13

THIS IS AMAZING!

22. PetitChouffe

We just tried this with some hops the other day with some homebrew that had pretty much lost its hop aroma... It worked well to serve the beer out of the press almost immediately. The few ounces of beer left in the bottom of the press for about 30 minutes became super grassy/vegetal and not pleasant.

23. leftyhyzer

Beer Trader

Trust me it was. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Im a semi pro at french pressing.

24. CajunMary13

I just bought my french press today. Can you give really detailed instructions to me please? :p

25. matttttYCE

I as well would like some detailed instructions on this because this is really tempting to try even with my precious few BCBS

26. UCLABrewN84

Pour half of the bottle of beer into the press, add desired ingredients, and let it "steep" to taste. Usually people will mix the remaining beer in the bottle back into the press to impart carbonation and dilute the infusion to taste.

ufmj likes this.
  27. leftyhyzer

Beer Trader

This is the same detailed instrucrions I gave to CajunMary13.

You can use most stouts. I'm sure they womt be as good as bcbs but worth a shot. This will be exactly how I do it with bcbs. For the same concoctions in the picture

Ingredients
    Big handful marshmellows (proper measurements lol)
    Handful of raspberries
    Hersheys chocolate 3 or 4 small squares
    Whole vanilla bean

First smash up the raspberries in a bowl. I feel you get more flavor out of them.
    Put marshmellows in a bowl and put in microwave for 45 secs. It turns into a fluff. Just stir in ball.
    Cut the vanilla bean in half and then cut the half long ways. So you have two half pieces of vanilla bean.
    Put raspberries at the bottom, then vanilla beans, then marshmellows,and chocolate on top. You don't want to put marshmellows in first cause they'll stick to the sides and bottle of french press. Pour one bottle in slowly. It will foam up so go slowly. Put the top of french press in and slowly press in up and down a few times. Then bring it to the top of the beer and put in fridge and let sit for 5-6 hours. Take it out and take the top out and pour another beer slowsly cause this one could foam over top. Put top back on and bring up and down a few times and put back in fridge for another hour. Take out push down a few more time then make sure the press is all the way down before you pour your glass.

fds, Born_A_Jee, founder26 and 7 others like this.
  28. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Just did some toasted coconut with '14 bcbs. Holy... Shit... DO IT!!! Was the wife and my favorite out of '14 BW '14 Coffee and '14 regular. The coffee was close but the coconut took the cake.

Zaphog and leftyhyzer like this.
  29. dazedandconfused

Beer Trader

I tried it with toasted coconut and it made it way too sweet. Not sure if I used too much as it seems that everybody in here that's tried it, had great results. Probably do it with coffee beans next.

30. Devman171

Beer Trader

Most coconut is sweetened, need to find some raw or wash it

dazedandconfused likes this.
  31. The_Frake

Beer Trader

Any advice on the type of coffee that is best to use? Im a newb at this and just mixed 12oz of Velvet Merkin with 1 TBSP of Dark Roast ground coffee beans. I let is sit for 3 min before pressing and adding to 6oz of plain Velvet. It was off, not good at all. Help here?

32. supertech

BCBS is the best beer to infuse with. Just did one with vanilla beans soaked in bullit rye and it got me tempted to dump some in my whiskey barrel.

33. theperk

Beer Trader

So you soaked the vanilla beans in the rye and then moved them to the french press with BCBS to soak? How much of the vanilla was infused into the whiskey? Did the beans carry any rye spice to the BCBS?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe