Instagram is removing beer photos from brewery pages, and refusing to explain why

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,714) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I've been seeing a significant rise in breweries complaining about this. You? Drop any examples in this thread.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-brewery-beer-craft-pages-rules-b1971506.html

2. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (584) Aug 24, 2020 California

I hate to read that. IMO, censorship is bad. People need to be responsible for verifying the accuracy and validity of what they read and hear instead of punting that responsibility to a bunch of faceless/nameless censors who masquerade as "fact-checkers" who claim to provide a service and help keep us "safe" from offensive information. "Facts" evolve. What is controversial today becomes well accepted fact in the future. Ask Galileo. In his day the fact checkers would have prohibited written views about the earth revolving around the sun.

3. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,180) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

have yet to experience this at bierkeller. will watch out for it tho. thx for the heads up

AlcahueteJ, Roguer, ChicagoJ and 8 others like this.
  4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Is Meta censoring other forms of alcohol and weed on the Instagram platform?

How frequently is Meta removing photos?

I don't follow a lot of beer accounts, but don't recall any posts disappearing so far. Meanwhile, I see several weed ads despite it being illegal in my state and at a federal level (and those accounts aren't weed related.)

5. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (46) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Do you have any examples? I'm not registering to read the article in the OP.

6. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Well they did, or worse….much much worse. Ask Giordano Bruno.

Grounder, Milfluvr, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  7. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

"Community standards" are a smoke screen to allow Zuckerberg to censor at his whim. He's a petty tyrant.

8. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,895) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Oddly enough I’ve never been much at odd with FB/Meta despite getting a time or two a warning for tossing a crack to a friend of mine, which is according to their “mods”; bullying and harassment. “violate the community standards” yeah right, spoken like a true believing commissar of the USSR.

Also, I don’t even engage in politics or pandemic debates over there, as everybody is either an epidemiologist or an antivaxxer.

9. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

It's a UK article so the mentioned breweries are there as well. Northern Monk, Seven Brothers and the Verdant Brewing Company were cited as examples in the article.

thebeers, beergoot and Shanex like this.
  10. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,196) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

The article cited several examples, all in England, of their posts being deleted. One brewery stated that because of the COVID lockdown, their sole source of income was through their web store, but the Instagram deletion of their posts seriously jeopardized this.

Anyway, you can probably read the link if any web browser you use has a 'private window' feature. E.g., if using Firefox, right click on the link and select "Open In New Private Window".

[​IMG]

11. Todd

Several UK breweries are cited in the article, but there are quite a few in the US that have had images pulled too and the issue seems to be growing.

12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Another reason why I’ve never been on Instagram, Twitter, TicToc or Facebook. Well I get on my wife’s account to look at Facebook Markets from time to time but very rare. I’m on LinkedIn and wish I didn’t have to but owner of company I work for requires it for marketing reasons. I’m addicted to YouTube over cable TV shows, but only go on without an account. Still get algorithms working to steer recommendations my way so I get what I need without being tracked (probably still being tracked I’m sure).

Whyteboar, Aggie83, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  13. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You are tracked, your content harvested, and your preferences tracked every time you use anything from Alphabet (Google, Youtube, gmail, etc.), Meta (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and most other "free" web services. Unless you use a VPN, even your ISP can (and many do) track you. (Many may not realize it, but gmail harvests your supposedly private emails as well.)

To everyone as a public service:
    No-tracking web search service: DuckDuckGo
    No-tracking, no harvesting (encryption possible) email service: Tutanota

Every time you click on anything from Alphabet or Meta you put money in their pockets whether you have an account or not.

14. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,225) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Whyteboar, IrishMASMS, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  15. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

The UK has some specific rules regarding alcohol ads on social media
    I wonder if IG thinks the images are violating one of these?

SFACRKnight and Shanex like this.
  16. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

DuckDuckGo is a great, but sometimes frustrating, mobile browser, Vivaldi for computer browser. Duck also runs a mail forwarding service (yourname@duck.com) which strips trackers before forwarding to your real address.

17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

My best guess after reading the article is that there are just too many breweries with too many names and marketing imagery and like so many other things banned from social media platforms in the last few years there is concern that a lot of the content may not be towing the line. So the quick fix is to ban all, review, and then let back in the allowable content as chosen by the social media platform (or the puppetmaster controlling them). Seems to be how things are going lately.

ChicagoJ and officerbill like this.
  18. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

I've seen this as well. More than a few times I've looked at a port from a Brewery - usually about a release. Then its gone, then the Brewery re posts saying " we don't know what happened " Its sad.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  19. Skabiski

Skabiski Crusader (715) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

This is interesting. I only use Instagram to follow breweries and local stores and I have not seen any photos removed.
    On a side note, I denied Instagram access to anything on my phone, but Instagram has suggested I follow everyone in my contact list.

20. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,378) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Didn’t Bottle Logic lose their entire account for a while?

21. rawmustard

rawmustard Initiate (85) Jan 15, 2010 Michigan

At least as of now, it isn't looking like it's affecting Bell's account (plenty of photos with beer in them).

22. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (649) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Yea they sho did.

This is good news.

It will kill off all the parasites that hoard bottles and only visit a brewery once a year to resell. Only those who really support a brewery will now visit.

It will also get ridif those corny pages of people in instagram that post photos of all the whales they've acquired.

23. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (649) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Also forgot to add, this will ultimately bring more people to BA . :poop::beers::poop::poop::beers::whale2::whale:

24. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

And being replaced by girls dancing.

25. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,225) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Maybe this is why @Untappdwtf got banned a few months ago? Either way he's back with a new account, @Pilsnerish, which is still very amusing, I suggest you follow him for some beer cringe

26. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (889) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Agree with this mostly. However, theories evolve, real facts do not.

Reidrover, Rug, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  27. moodenba

moodenba Defender (622) Feb 2, 2015 New York

A forum like Instagram (or BA, Twitter, Facebook, Cable TV outlet, newspaper) may want to maintain its own standards, and can restrict what is said. The "victim" of this kind of censorship can express his/her opinion/fact elsewhere (blog, podcast, etc.). Depending on the distribution method or legal jurisdiction, the owner of the forum could be subject to libel/slander suits. To my mind it's OK if Instagram decides to limit the images. They are generally just advertising/promotion. But it's not the most useful decision either. Government censorship is a more important issue.

#27 moodenba, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  28. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (340) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is a really odd situation, because I highly doubt that Meta wants this outcome. I'm sure they love that small businesses rely on Insta and similar to advertise. I know Zuck acts in bad faith with consistency and think that they're one of the more harmful new entities of the century... but I have no clue what the rationale would be behind doing this purposefully, and it'll hurt their bottom line if it becomes bad enough, so I have to assume it's just a "using too big of a hammer for a nuanced situation" problem that'll get worked out soon.

29. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

A recent-ish example I've seen from Off Color here in Chicago

The photo in question is a 4pk of this beer

[​IMG]

30. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (452) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yep just have a scantily clad girl holding the beer, dancing with it, posting a lame motivational quote caption, etc., and IG will allow it.

31. Todd

That's the biggest complaint from brewers. Most don't have advertising budgets, while those who have budgets have shifted their ad dollars from traditional advertising (print, radio, web ads, etc.) to social media and sponsored content over the last five years (RIP BeerAdvocate magazine). Today, most brewers rely on platforms like Facebook and Instagram to get the word out. Crazy and shortsighted.

32. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Its those damn cute animals on their labels!

Rug, ChicagoJ, Whyteboar and 3 others like this.
  33. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (474) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree this phenomenon is weird/outrageous and actually kinda funny--- but I'd like to point out that all member posted photos will eventually be removed from BA -- not due to unexplained community guidelines but due to third party hosting and continued/unpredictable host turnover. Does anybody care about that?

ChicagoJ, BigIronH and Shanex like this.
  34. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (711) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm not here to start a huge political fight, but if 2020 taught us anything, it's that a huge percentage of our population is not capable of "verifying the accuracy and validity of what they read and hear." That's hilarious, sorry.

35. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Maybe the labels were reported for being off color?

36. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,143) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

officerbill, Rug, PapaGoose03 and 4 others like this.
  37. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,596) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

I wonder if Twitter is next with brewers photos? Twitter bans suspends deletes / censors anything they deem not fitting guidelines.

Bitterbill and ATL6245 like this.
  38. Todd

Yesterday, our friends at Half Time told me that they've had a few images pulled too. Today they informed me that their Instagram account has been completely pulled.

officerbill, Rug, SFACRKnight and 3 others like this.
  39. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (7,333) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

BA riffing on another entity's censorship that doesn't match up with guidelines.

This is an Onion article right?

40. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,143) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Line Creek Brewing Atlanta just did last week I think.

herrburgess likes this.