Interesting TV shows

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by roan22, Nov 9, 2019.

1. roan22

roan22 Crusader (777) Jun 30, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I'm always looking for new TV shows. I don't have Netflix so that's out. I have Amazon Prime and that's enough right now. I have cable and I don't like Broadcast TV shows except for Poldark and the local News.

My favorite recent TV show was Berlin Station from the Epix channel. It was so great but only lasted 3 seasons. I watched the first season of Euphoria, I enjoyed it. I already admitted I was a Poldark fan, and I'm sad this is the last season.

Gold Rush is still interesting, I like Parker, Rick and Tony Beets. Also I like the Gold Rush spinoff whitewater mining show with Dakota Fred Hurt and his son Dustin. I don't even miss Todd Hoffman and his crew (except for Kevin, I liked him lol).

The best old show that is not TV anymore is called Sea Hunt, with Lloyd Bridges. I miss it.

Beer related, in Philly we have What's Brewing on our local NBCSN channel with Glen Macnow and Joe Sixpack, I've seen every episode.

mickyge, Amendm, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,443) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm a big fan of Antiques Roadshow and, to a slightly lesser extent, British Antiques Roadshow. Although the latter features somewhat less interesting (to an American) items, the show venues are spectacular.

3. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,162) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Shows on Prime I've recently enjoyed that may line up with Berlin Station:

Jack Ryan
    The Widow
    Hanna
    Absentia

I kind of enjoyed Carnival Row, but that's quite a departure in genre.

The only cable show I really enjoy these days is It's Always Sunny. (and those teen drama shows on The CW that my wife makes me watch).

Shanex, Amendm and roan22 like this.
  4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,373) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm convinced those damn soap operas my wife make me watch were a contributing factor to our divorce.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (6,024) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Amendm, Shanex, roan22 and 1 other person like this.
  6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,711) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If I'm not watching sports I'm probably watching something on the History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. I like reality shows that have anything to do with construction such as Building Off the Grid, Building Alaska, and even This Old House on PBS. And speaking of Alaska, Alaska: The Last Frontier with the Kilcher family is interesting, as is Mountain Men. The Curse of Oak Island and its spinoff, The Curse of the Civil War Gold.

I even record Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting reruns on PBS for watching when I want to fall asleep early. :slight_smile:

7. roan22

Society

Thanks for the suggestions, Carnival Row looked interesting so I will check that out. Jack Ryan I l kind of liked it, I haven't started season 2 yet.

8. roan22

Society

I forgot about the British show on after Poldark called Press, its pretty good and I have started to tape it. I have thought about getting the British Box because I do like British shows, do you have it?

Amendm and dcotom like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,443) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I don't have any subscription services. Digital over-the-air is the wave of the future. :stuck_out_tongue:

10. hottenot

hottenot Disciple (349) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Deactivated

Hate to bring up Xena, X-files and Buffy. But i did. Great shows for the time.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a lot like these.

Bitterbill, Amendm and dcotom like this.
  11. roan22

Society

Todd, I watched the very first show from season 1 last night and I like it!

Amendm and Todd like this.
  12. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,508) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

A few suggestions:
    Curse of Oak Island
    Mountain Monsters, pure hillbilly idiocy
    Ancient Aliens
    Mythical Beasts
    Any of the numerous UFO shows on Science, History
    Airplane Repo

I believe on IFC Saturday mornings, they show the Batman series with Adam West

Amendm and roan22 like this.
  13. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (816) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Another vote for Curse of Oak Island
    The Walking Dead. Can't quite give it up.
    Monty Python.. found it on Netflix. Still funny.

14. roan22

Society

@Buckeye55 and @Rainintheface

Oak Island is being watched. I've been obsessed with Oak Island since the Rolling Stone article in 2003. 11 years before the TV show started with the Lagina's. One of the first episodes was personally amazing for me (when Dan Henskee returned to Smiths Cove and found coconut fibers). But the Money Pit digging episodes are frustrating. The 90 ft. stone search disappointed me. Gary Drayton is an entertaining addition to the treasure searching story, but losing Dan Blankenship and Fred Nolan was sad and David Blankenship not sure if he cares or not anymore. Rick Lagina still retains his passion and commitment.

Amendm and seakayak like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

Society

Do you also watch The Curse of Civil War Gold? Marty Lagina is involved in that one too along with son, Alex. I can't recall Rick being in this show, though.

Amendm, roan22 and seakayak like this.
  16. roan22

Society

No, Marty and Alex are fine but my interest in them stops with Oak Island.

I have a VHS tape of a special that A&E aired sometime in the 90s, called The Money Pit, mostly with Fred Nolan, Charles Barkhouse and Lee Restall (the daughter of Robert Restall; Robert and her brother Bobby died on the Island). Unfortunately, the Blankenships did not participate because Dan and Fred were not speaking at the time. I just want all these people get closure.

Amendm and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (816) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I've never seen it. I'll be sure to look it up

Amendm and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. PapaGoose03

Society

I think the show will be in its third season (maybe 4th) when it starts again, which I think will be late winter. Marty and Alex make appearances, but are mostly financial backers of the operation that is headed up a Kevin Dykstra, the person who has done all of the research and who heads up the operation.

To get you started, the synopsis is that when Jefferson Davis was captured by Union troops on his way to Mexico he had 'millions of dollars' of gold from the Confederate treasury. It's been missing since then, and the Union officers in charge of the force that captured Davis are reportedly the ones who buried it at the site of the capture, later to unearth it and move it by train to Manistee, Michigan, which is where the senior Union officer called home. It is a coastal town along Lake Michigan's shore. The story goes that it was stored there for a while and later put back onto on a train car and transported up the coast to Ludington, MI, and then onto a barge to be transported across the lake on its way to a smelter operation, which I think was in Utah. Somehow the train car ended up rolling off the barge (a witness on shore says it was pushed off) so the gold is now at the bottom of the lake only a few miles from shore. The last two seasons have been spent looking for the gold at the bottom of the lake. (Silt and the permit application process have slowed down the search, but permits are now in hand and the crew is now permitted to move silt for their search.)

I don't have a clue why 'curse' is a part of the title of this show. I missed something along the way.

Singlefinpin, Amendm, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  19. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,857) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

I watched a few seasons of Oak Island and finally gave up on it and stopped recording it. I like Mysteries of the Abandoned, Strange Evidence and Unearthed. Problem is, a lot of these shows will repackage previous episodes and call it a new episode. That practice seems to be getting more and more popular to my dismay.

hottenot, Amendm, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  20. roan22

Society

Last night I watched a show on HBO called His Dark Mysteries or something like that. I couldn't decide if its like harry potter, hunger games or tomb raider..is it for kids or adults? I like that's its English but I will bail if it starts to have elves or wizards in it.

LarryV and Amendm like this.
  21. roan22

Society

Mysteries of the Abandoned is tolerable because its world wide but I don't like unearthed its just that one guy's take on everything and the mystery is never solved.

22. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (636) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

My wife and I really like Glow on Netflix. The show can be really funny in some parts, serious in others. The acting is excellent. It's got the 80s nostalgia vibe, like Stranger Things. It's loosely based on the real 80s women's pro-wrestling league, Gorgeous Ladies of Wresting (GLOW). If you like pro-wrestling there's fun stuff here, but if you don't like pro-wrestling don't let that deter you. The show's real focus is examining social issues specific to the 80 era. Kind of like how Madmen dealt with social issues of the 60s and 70s, but Glow picks it up in the 80s with the unique lens of women's wrestling, which was in many ways progressive, but as entertainment had to cater to social norms of the day. I know social issues can be a hot-button for people, but I think Glow tries to portray the issues honestly, with different perspectives, nuance, and true to the time/place. The 3 seasons are very binge-worthy. 93% on Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/g_l_o_w_

LarryV, Amendm, roan22 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,586) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Fargo, Better call Saul have been extraordinary. Looking forward more seasons.

“Bodyguard” was a British tv-series. Quite good too about the very contemporary topic of Islamic terrorism and political corruption. A bit of an outrageous storyline so I’m not sure they will put the poor bastard into another season...

Stranger things first season was aight. Second was meh and the third reignited my interest somehow.

#23 Shanex, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    denver10, SFACRKnight, LarryV and 3 others like this.
  24. roan22

Society

Update on His Dark Materials (not Mysteries): I think I got sucked in because everyone has a talking animal sidekick (really their inner self). Its an odd show. Very gloomy like Blade Runner.

Update on Jack Ryan: I'm 6 episodes in to the season but there are only two more left. Then we wait another 2 years for season 3. Eight episodes per season is too short!

25. roan22

Society

Yes what other shows do you know about? What about French shows. Watching other language shows and using subtitles is fun for me and has never been an issue. Can I just share that two of my favorite movies are French, Jean de Florette and Manon de Sources, the sequel! The second one must be seen.

LarryV, Amendm and Shanex like this.
  26. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

The Witcher (Netflix) was released before the Christmas holidays season. I haven’t read the book or played the game. It’s ok-ish.

27. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

Too many French shows are meh to terrible and I don’t even bother anymore to try to watch them, beside a few decent ones that focus on Police inquiry... those are my thing.

Ah, you like Marcel Pagnol and the Mediterranean atmosphere of these stories. They were quite good films indeed.

I see you’re from New Jersey and I’ll allow myself to mention about The Sopranos. RIP Mr Gandolfini.

roan22, LarryV and Amendm like this.
  28. Amendm

Amendm Crusader (781) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I was diagnosed with A-fib last April and was out of work until August.
    I might have gone crazy if not for Netflix.

Norsemen, lillyhammer, The Last Kingdom,
    Orange is the New Black, Trailer Park Boys, I binged watched the crap out of those shows and yes I like low-brow humor.

My favorite network show is Vikings on the History Channel, been following since the beginning even though it's been getting more convoluted each season.

I plan on cutting the cord on Cox Cable, I'm thinking Roku and an antenna for local shows.

Oh yeah and Sports. Cheers.

dcotom, roan22, Shanex and 1 other person like this.
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,193) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Love Peaky Blinders, Sabrina, even the new Lost in Space is good.

SFACRKnight, roan22 and Singlefinpin like this.
  30. roan22

Society

I am not Jersey born and raised but I live here now, and for a long time I didn't like it! But now its ok. I was born in San Jose California and lived there for 10 years and then a couple of decades in Pennsylvania and half a decade in SW Virginia.

Shanex and thesherrybomber like this.
  31. roan22

Society

Yes I loved those movies because the beautiful rural location of their house in the mountains, just reminded me of some historical areas of PA that were still rural.

Shanex likes this.
  32. roan22

Society

Since my last post I watched 2 seasons of Succession on HBO and it is great!!

BuffaloBill12 and seakayak like this.
  33. roan22

Society

So sorry to hear that and I hope you are feeling better!

Shanex likes this.
  34. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (507) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Anyone dig the Twilight Zone? If you do check out Black Mirror. It is a modern day Twilight Zone. Very interesting but most episodes are down right depressing. I believe it hits close to home though. It focuses on how much society is caught up in technology/social media/etc. Many if the episodes I can see coming to life in a few years. Some are not all that far fetched...

35. roan22

Society

I have Netflix right now and I have completed all three seasons of Stranger Things. It is as good as everyone says. :relieved:

hottenot, Shanex and Bitterbill like this.
  36. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,135) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I miss Breaking Bad, I wish they could have kept it running. Better Call Saul has filled in nicely, but its been to long since seasons.
    Other than sports I find shows like
    Gold Rush/Bering Sea Gold
    Moonshiners
    Deadliest Catch
    Mysteries of the Abandoned
    and my favorite Forged In Fire are all good until they start injecting drama into them, like the survivors shows like to do.

37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,193) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina returning for part 3 on the 24th. Yay!

38. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (643) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Breaking Bad
    Peaky Blinders
    Vikings
    Fargo
    A little binge watching never hurt anyone....

hottenot, roan22 and Shanex like this.
  39. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (503) Aug 17, 2008 New York

I've been watching Stumptown, it's on ABC and Hulu

40. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,328) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Amazon Prime has quite the library.

Rescue Me

Justified

The Wire

Any one of these shall do. Thought Boardwalk Empire was an absolute snooze. Personally think The Wire and Rescue Me are tied for my favorite shows of all time.

The Wire is a slow burn police show. Nothing like the nonsensical constitutional violation fest $90,000 car driving super model cop shoot out riddled " How much crime can possible take place on an island " nonsense. Lookin' at you modern Hawaii 5-0 and virtually everything CBS has to offer.

denver10, hottenot, roan22 and 3 others like this.