Interview (at a Brewery) Attire?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Headyman, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headyman

Headyman Initiate (119) Mar 7, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey, looking for a little feedback. I have a interview at a brewery tomorrow for an internship program. What do I wear? Obviously, I am not going to wear a suit, but is slacks and a button-down too much? I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers.

tylerstubs likes this.
  2. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (222) Apr 18, 2012 California

Leisure suit (preferably pastel colored), beard, and thick-rimmed black glasses. Don't forget to chew some gum during the whole interview. Good Luck!!

3. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (119) Dec 19, 2010 California

Better to feel uncomfortably over-dressed, than regrettably under-dressed.

4. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

not nearly enough info. what brewery and what position are you going for?

5. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I'd go with a puffy shirt and an eye-patch. Left eye or right eye is entirely up to you.

Best of luck!

6. DOTU

DOTU Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 California

You should be able to get some feedback by people in the industry here, but I interview people all the time so here's my 2 cents. I work at a firm with a very casual dress code and we get a range of interviewee attire from suits to slacks and pressed shirts and an occasional pair of jeans. IMO, you shouldn't wear jeans to an interview because it looks unprofessional and like you are trying too hard to be cool. Just wear slacks and a pressed shirt and you'll be fine. I can't imagine you would feel uncomfortable even if the people interviewing you are dressed down, which is mostly the case when I am interviewing somebody. Cheers, and good luck!

tylerstubs, Jwale73 and Dtapeski like this.
  7. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,164) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I guess it depends on the position.. Are you going to be interning as a brewer or as like, a bookkeeper?

8. unclejimbay

unclejimbay Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2008 Florida

Internship?

I would get a Tshirt made that says... "I'm here to clean your kegs"

DStoked, kenpo23 and fredmugs like this.
  9. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Initiate (86) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

I would wear what you are proposing, which is business casual. As someone who has done some hiring for a very casual company, I would be deterred if a prospective employee showed up in less than that. The rule I always worked off of is, at the interview is the best the person will ever dress when they come to work.

l1fted and DOTU like this.
  10. jimmy666

jimmy666 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2010 Maryland

Do not shave or get a fake ZZtop type beard then rub patchouli oil all over you. Wear cargo shorts and flip fllops along with a dirty tshirt and you will ace it brah!

yemenmocha and ChanChan like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

“You might be a redneck if you have ever taken beer to a job interview.” - Jeff Foxworthy.

So, you might want to consider bringing a beer with you to a job interview? I would suggest that you also bring one for the interviewer.

Cheers!

12. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Hm.. What type of job would you be doing? (If you even know.)

I'd say something on the business casual side, that says "I'm not too fussy to roll up my sleeves and help where necessary" - almost like a dressier version of what you'd wear there if you were actually working.

Since you're east coast (and MA, no less), I'd say err on the dressier side if in doubt. But you don't want to look totally out of place either.

So yeah, I guess I'm not too much help :rolling_eyes:. But anyway, GOOD LUCK!

Ps. In interviews I always tell them, "if you give me a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed." Hasn't failed me yet! :wink:

13. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (782) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I agree that a grizzly thick beard is a necessity.

14. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,507) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Have you been there before? If so - did you notice what the employees were wearing? I would dress similarly.

15. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

don't forget the tats. you will need two full sleves.

spicoli00 likes this.
  16. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (808) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Wear a shirt with an elephant on it that says "will work for peanuts"

tylerstubs and yamar68 like this.
  17. StoutSnob40

Premium Trader

We've truly been absolutely no help..

HoptimusMax1mus and jrnyc like this.
  18. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

19. BobZ

BobZ Zealot (533) Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Ok, as someone with a bit of experience in this arena both as a recruiter and a hiring manager.

Being over-dressed has never hurt a candidate, being under-dressed can do and has done damage.

If interviewing in a manufacturing or production environment (and based on how an interview is going), you can ask about "tucking" or removing a tie and taking off a suit jacket prior to being taken on the floor for a tour, etc.

How you dress reflects how much you respect the person interviewing you, the company, and your level of maturity.

20. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,525) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Was going to say something similar. Good post! Seriously, he'll fit right in these days. :rolling_eyes:

jimmy666 likes this.
  21. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (705) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    Short of a tuxedo, I don't think you can over dress for an interview.
    Business casual should be a minimum.
    Good luck.

22. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (311) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

You are applying for an internship.
    It should be apparent you are dressing to impress.
    Suit, it is still a professional environment and you should act as so.

OddNotion likes this.
  23. StoutSnob40

Premium Trader

Maybe a more casual suit with no tie?

24. CMack

CMack Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2008 Massachusetts

BobZ beat me to it. Granted, I do hiring at a brewpub, but I do know a fair amount of the guys in production brewing business on my side of the state. Smart casual works. I interviewed someone of management once who wore jeans (I think, could have been khakis) button down and a tie. He mentioned the tie might be much, but he wanted to m to know he took the interview and the position seriously. Made an impression.

Didn't hurt that he could rock a King Leonidas grade beard.

Good luck.

25. ZamaMan

ZamaMan Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 California

I always wear suits to interviews even for entry level blue collar jobs. Worst case I'd say at least wear slacks, dress shirt with tie no jacket. Or you could sport a nice blazer if you got one which looks a bit more casual than a suit.

26. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,675) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

Treat it like any other job interview...

look..

good.

27. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (252) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

Always professional attire, no matter the job. Slacks, button down, tie, suit coat (potentially optional).

28. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2012 Michigan

I'll throw another vote to the "you can NEVER be overdressed for an interview" (ok well, maybe a tuxedo might be a bit much). Regardless, I'd dress your best. You mention no suit (BTW, I DON'T think a suit would be over-dressed), so I'd definitely wear nice slacks and a nice dress shirt. As earlier posters have mentioned, how you look in an interview says a lot about your overall commitment to the job, the effort you're going to put into it, and the respect for the company you're interviewing with. Nice slacks and a shirt will should never be awkward in an interview (unless you make it), even if your interviewer is wearing shorts, flip flops, and a flannel.

My background, FYI: I work in a business-casual office and hire an average of 1 person per month, many of which are recent college grads or folks with just a couple years of experience. So I'm far from an expert, but do have some experience.

As said earlier...

Good luck!

29. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (323) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

If you bring beer the brewery makes to it you can call it company research. They like that, shows initiative.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. ChanChan

ChanChan Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 California

I would say dress to impress!!

The douchey beard should come with time!!

dianimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.