Introducing "Molé Merkin" – A Spicy Spin On Firestone Walker's Barrel-aged Milk Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Paso Robles, CA: Firestone Walker is set to unveil Molé Merkin, a spicy spin on the brewery’s Velvet Merkin barrel-aged milk stout.

Molé Merkin begins rolling out to all Firestone Walker markets this week in individually boxed 12-ounce bottles. It is the fourth out of five Proprietor’s Vintage releases slated for 2019.

Barrel Program Manager Eric Ponce drew upon his own Mexican heritage to create Molé Merkin. Inspired by family recipes inherited from his grandmothers, Ponce aged the beer in bourbon barrels with additions of Puya chile peppers, cocoa nibs and cinnamon to capture the essence of the traditional Mexican sauce known as molé.

The cinnamon adds a hint of sweet spice, while the cocoa nibs bring luscious balance to the medium lingering heat of the peppers. The result is a smooth, chocolaty stout with its own distinctive kick.

“Fall is a perfect time of year to enjoy Molé Merkin,” Ponce said. “It offers these warming spices that really go with the cooling weather and vibes of autumn.”

Ponce chose Velvet Merkin as the base beer because it was the perfect foil for the style he envisioned: “As a milk stout, it has this creaminess that evokes the creamy texture of molé. It also has chocolate notes that play really well with the cocoa nibs and cinnamon.”

“This beer has a lot of personal meaning behind it,” Ponce said. “Every time I taste it, it brings back childhood memories of family dinners and gatherings, where molé dishes were a staple. It’s that sense of joy and flavor that I wanted to convey with Molé Merkin.”

https://www.firestonebeer.com

###

2. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (327) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

That sounds really good for the fall, definitely will be trying to get in on that.

I have always thought VM suffers from being in the series with Parabola/ Sucaba/ etc. It's actually a really great layered, complex BA beer, it's just < 8% and does't blast you like the rest of the series. I just checked the BA entry and it's rated significantly higher than I recall, so I guess I'm not alone, even if this isn't worthy (or perhaps necessitate?) the same level of hoarding that the 'bigger' Proprietor’s Vintage beers necessitate.

This is just conjecture and not meant to derail the announcement of this beer I'll surely look out for, but I'd almost like to see what happened if they did VM in 2nd use bourbon barrels (used for other PV beers once first), which could potentially lower the pricepoint and make it work as a $16 4x16oz can offering. I realize the canning op is at a different location than the barrel facility, just thinking out loud here. Cheers.

DonicBoom likes this.
  3. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Devotee (403) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts

I'll definitely give this one a try. I've always liked VM - I agree that the flavor and body that FW gets out of a stout that's not double digit ABV is impressive. Hopefully it stands up to the spice!

stevepat likes this.
  4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sounds good actually. I am thinking sort of like Stone Xocoveza? If its similar I know I will like it.

jcoleMA66 likes this.
  5. micada

micada Aspirant (238) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Western NY used to never get any/much of the FW boxed anything. Lately, that has all changed, and it’s fantastic. I don’t think I’ve had a bad boxed series offering. I’m not a mole fan, but if it’s FW in a box...I’ll definitely buy at least one to try.