Release Introducing RODENBACH Fruitage – Belgium's Most Approachable and Refreshing Innovation In Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (7,986) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

RIDGEFIELD, Conn., Feb. 8, 2017 -- RODENBACH Brewery, makers of world class renowned sour beers in the traditional Flanders red style, today announced its latest innovation with the arrival of RODENBACH Fruitage.

RODENBACH Fruitage gets its name from aged-old brewing techniques, combined with fruit infusions. It's an instant classic – comprised of 25% authentically aged RODENBACH (2-year matured beer from oak standing Foeders) blended with 75% young RODENBACH ale, with added fruit of cherries and elderberries. With an ABV of 4.2%, RODENBACH Fruitage is light and refreshing, perfect for easy drinking and to be enjoyed year-round.

Tested in draught format late last year to rave reviews from consumers and beer professionals alike, RODENBACH Fruitage is the first and only RODENBACH offered in slim, 8.5oz cans, and the first time any RODENBACH is available in cans in the United States. This innovation follows years of research and requests from consumers and beer professionals who have been requesting a RODENBACH beverage in a can format.

Available in 4-packs, it is approachably priced as compared to other premium imports, with a suggested retail price of $6.99. Shipping begins in April, 2017 and will be on store shelves in late May, 2017 – just in time for the warm summer months.

"This is an exciting new innovation in our legendary portfolio of beers, and we're thrilled to offer this product in the United States," said Rudi Ghequire, master brewer of RODENBACH brewery. "RODENBACH Fruitage is a light and refreshing beverage that is full of flavor, perfectly balanced and compliments a variety of foods and occasions."

"RODENBACH Fruitage opens the door to a new generation of craft beer drinkers to the legendary RODENBACH portfolio," said David van Wees, General Manager, Latis Imports., US Importer for RODENBACH Brewery. "Consumers are seeking alternatives to the heavier beer selections, and RODENBACH Fruitage offers a lighter style of beer that is both refreshing and filled with flavor, in keeping with authentic RODENBACH brewing practices."

About RODENBACH Brewery
    Brewed in Roeselare, Belgium since 1821, BROUWERIJ RODENBACH is the maker of the original sour ale and the leading craft brewer of mixed-fermentation Flanders red-brown beer. Aged in the brewery's 294 oak casks ("foeders"), master brewer Rudi Ghequire uses a process called "positive selection" to craft a perfectly balanced and delicious beer that has received awards and accolades from beer lovers around the world.

About Latis Imports
    Latis Imports is the US Division of Bavaria, N.V. an independent family-owned brewery, run by the Swinkels family for seven generations. It is the only major brewery in the Netherlands that brews its beer with pure, natural mineral water from its own springs. Its portfolio of brands includes the iconic Brouwerij RODENBACH, PALM brewery and a variety of imported beers including Hollandia, Habesha, Bavaria and others. Purchased by Bavaria, N.V. in 2016, Ridgefield-based Latis Imports is run by 25-year beer industry veteran David van Wees, who is responsible for expanding the Bavaria N.V. portfolio throughout the US market.

Daveshek28, ebin6, PatrickCT and 6 others like this.
  2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (207) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Sounds like a cool beer, something that could be appealing and approachable for new beer drinkers or non beer drinkers while maintaining a certain level of authenticity for people with more experience with these types of beers. Two things though:

1. "Fruitage" is a terrible, terrible name.

2. 8.5oz cans? Really?

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (603) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

1. Not So Grand Cru?

2. 12 - 16 oz. cans

Redrover likes this.
  4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,518) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader Subscriber

This sounds excellent - can size is a bit odd, but at that price it seems reasonable.

5. oldbean

Petite Cru?

"Fruitage" sounds more like the next artificially flavored Bud Lite offshoot than it does a product from a prestigious Belgian brewery.

Mongrel likes this.
  6. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,233) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Since Grand Cru is one of the few Flanders/Sours that I didn't spit out, I will try this, if it becomes available to me

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,732) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

It has already been mentioned but why are they using 8.5 ounce cans for a 4.2% ABV beer?

Is this 'new wave' beer marketing!?!:confused:

Cheers!

8. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Hopefully it's not like liefmanns fruitesse.

pinyin likes this.
  9. FBarber

Beer Trader Subscriber

10. JackHorzempa

Please do not view this as specifically as a criticism directed at you.

The fact that a brewery or two (or more) once used 8.5 ounce cans in the past... does that make sense for a 4.2% ABV beer today?o_O

Cheers!

11. FBarber

Beer Trader Subscriber

No worries!

I never said it made sense - in fact, my first post pointed out that the can size was odd. I had never heard of anyone canning a beer in an 8.5 oz can prior to looking it up online. I was more curious if this was something that had been done before or if this was an "innovation" by Rodenbach. Count me firmly in the camp opposed to any cans less than 12oz regardless of ABV.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  12. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (268) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Four 8 oz. cans of light ABV? Who are they trying to cater to? Research indicated the smallest format and acceptable ABV possible?

13. oldbean

Well it does kind of seem like this is the beer you'd get if you asked a room full of dudes to create a beer to appeal to women.

swolepeer and Dravin like this.
  14. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (268) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

The wine coolers of beer?

Is that their new slogan?

It's a new age. Where taprooms used to be dominated by men, I am seeing more women than ever before, drinking all various gauntlets of styles. Most tend to stick to the Hefes or Witbiers, on average. But this company should not be boxing in one genre.

I guess you can say, they needed to find an approachable price point. I do feel any person within a normal grasp of craft beer may laugh at the format. Although I do personally buy AVBC Blood Orange Gose for $11/sixer (one of the worst ABV/$ around). What's next, all these breweries selling 4 packs, instead of 6 (and not the 16 oz can variety but the 12 oz), and somehow find a means to increase price/oz.?

15. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,013) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

8.5 oz is only 2.7 less than the 330 mL bottles that regular Rodenbach comes in. Obviously this is a more expensive beer to make but they didn't want to scare people away with $20 6-packs. Sounds good to me and I'm in for a 4-pack.

PatrickCT, VAcrossr and StoutElk_92 like this.
  16. zid

zid Crusader (763) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

People are never happy. Everyone supposedly hates bombers and loves 16oz cans, but if this was packaged as a 750, I think fewer would complain somehow. Open two Fruitage cans and you've got 17oz. Happy?

I saw this for a while on tap lists and wanted to try it but never had the chance. I wonder how related it is to Rosso.

ebin6, LeRose and TongoRad like this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,208) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

250 ml. cans are a standard issue in Europe, according to the Rexam catalog:

[​IMG]

The only US beer I recall in that size was 21st Amendment's Lower de Boom (labeled 8.4 oz. IIRC - which Ball, the largest US can mfg, offers).

And, of course, lots of pre-craft US brewers put their standard under-5% AAL flagship and light beers in 7 or 8 oz cans (and bottles, of course), back when that was considered the single serving size of a "glass" of beer - not a 22 - 24 oz. container.
    [​IMG]

PatrickCT, Jacobob10, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,790) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It brought Ommegang Rosetta to mind for me. Sounds pretty great, too. And, yeah, the size of the can seems to indicate some kind of crossover marketing approach, but so what? I hope it's a success.

19. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2009 New York

My wife.

Kendo likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

A 6-pack of 12 ounce beers makes me happy.:)

Cheers!

PatrickCT and zid like this.
  21. zid

zid Crusader (763) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Thankfully, Pennsylvania is trying to make you happy. ;)

22. JackHorzempa

Woo-Hoo!:)

Now if only I could purchase my liquor from privately owned liquor stores vs. state stores.:(

Cheers!

Tmwright7, FBarber and zid like this.
  23. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,541) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader Subscriber

I knew I saved that Bell-Vue can for a reason! For comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pocket-size beer. Note: the 25cL can is actually 8.45+ oz.

A

bushycook, Jacobob10 and FBarber like this.
  24. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (253) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The more Rodenbach the better if you ask me. I love all of their stuff. Excited about this.

Also: Does anyone know about touring the brewery? Will be going to Brussels in May.

PatrickCT and zid like this.
  25. phildow

phildow Initiate (173) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm not a huge sour beer fan, so this size and price (assuming MI doesn't jack it up to like $12/4 pk). makes the beer quite accessible to me. I have found that I struggle with drinking even 12 oz. of beers like Bruery's Tart of Darkness, so yeah, I'm all for the smaller format.

26. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Disciple (309) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Everyone would be all over this if they were 4-packs of 16oz cans for $13.99. Just buy two and open two at a time if the size concerns you.

27. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,881) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Sounds great, I love Rodenbach.

FBarber and StoutElk_92 like this.
  28. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (120) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

No one remembers Lowenbrau grenades or miller 8 ozers?

PatrickCT and TongoRad like this.
  29. Giantspace

Giantspace Devotee (498) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Equal to a $14 plus six pack of 12oz. Sounds like a good beer. I would grab one for $2 but worry I might love it.

Enjoy

VAcrossr and TongoRad like this.
  30. rgordon

rgordon Defender (675) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Well, if you say it like an American it sounds like luggage. The Euro ending would sound like Taj as in Mahal: froot-taaj. Belgian Fruitage I think sounds OK. If it's a nice dry style product, and it being from Rodenbach, I'd trust it to be nicely done.

Pantalones and TongoRad like this.
  31. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,790) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to start saying luggage the classy way :).

Pantalones, RobH, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Defender (675) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yes, loo-gaj is pretty fancy!

Pantalones, FBarber and TongoRad like this.
  33. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (174) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Is this also US only?

34. Clarkvv

Clarkvv Initiate (131) Mar 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It was on tap at Row 34 in Boston for about a month (may still be?). Tried it twice and boy is it sugary crap. Might even be more alco-poppy than Redbach.

35. oldbean

Well that's a shame.

36. Clarkvv

Clarkvv Initiate (131) Mar 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I meant Tip Tap Room. And yes, was disappointing but it's pretty clear Palm wants to keep a mass market product alongside the craft stuff. Can't really blame them, I guess.

37. jman005

jman005 Aspirant (256) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

Oh no, we aren't going to get drunk enough off these 8.5 ounces cans guys. :( boohoo

Janeinma likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

For me it is a matter of value. I can envision my local retailers taking advantage of this situation and pricing these beers at a high per ounce price.

Money may be immaterial to you?

Cheers!

jman005 likes this.
  39. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (347) Jun 11, 2009 California

Exactly. A $14 SPE sour is downright amazing. Open 3 and you've got your 750!

40. jman005

jman005 Aspirant (256) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

I understand being opposed to an overpriced beer, but the fact that it's in 8.5 ounce cans (while odd) is aside from that fact. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Janeinma likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More