Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printer1

printer1 Initiate (176) Aug 29, 2005 Iowa

No st
    No stores very close. Best bet is growlers from El Bait Shop. They will have anything available in Des Moines on tap. A must visit.

2. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (219) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Also, nothing against those breweries, but I'd skip those and head to Confluence instead.

3. JediMatt

JediMatt Initiate (79) Jun 18, 2010 Iowa

Agreed. If you're staying downtown, check out El Bait Shop and maybe the Red Monk if you like belgians. There are no stores close by, really. Ingersoll Wine and Spirits is probably the closest. Definitely check out Confluence.

4. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aspirant (299) Dec 1, 2011 Iowa

Hi everyone,
    Love the thread. Got some new tidbits added to the blog if you are interested in reading. Hopslam rollout, Left Hand Brewing coming to Iowa, new Founders Backstage beer for February, Stone Enjoy 2-14-14, and and Founders Imperial Stout. A busy couple of months for beer lovers in Iowa, and hopefully we see more TG on the shelves. Cheers! http://iabeerbaron.wordpress.com/

5. DesMoinesCraft

DesMoinesCraft Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2013 Iowa

Agreed with the Confluence, El Bait and Monk but if you are looking for cold beer which I'm guessing is the case if you are staying in a hotel, Ingersoll keeps a majority of their stock warm. Only one door of bombers cold and a few doors of 4 and 6 packs cold. If you are wanting cold beer the closest good selection is Drug Town on 42nd and University.

As far as the breweries, Raccoon is OK from time to time, Exile brewing Company seems to play it safe on everything, and Court Ave is also middle of the road but I have to admit it's been a while since I've tried anything from them. Food wise I've never ate at Exile but both Raccoon and Court has pretty passable causal fine dinning.

Also there are a few places within walking distance that may have some craft on tap. Confluence has been really aggressive about getting into as many bars as possible. So you may not have to go to the brewery. Though most don't have the selection that El Bait has, you can usually find Confluence and maybe something from a few larger out of state breweries at a majority of the places downtown. This would include the bars in the hotel which if I remember handle a few Bells, Goose Island, Serra Nevada and other Seasonals.

JediMatt likes this.
  6. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Shmaltz is on shelves for your enjoyment in Iowa City today. I saw the Messiah Nut Brown Ale, Genesis Dry Hopped Session Ale, and Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. in 12 ounce bottles. For bombers, we scored Death of a Contract Brewer and Hop Manna IPA. Oh, and Founder's R.I.S. is finally here. Happy drinking everybody!

7. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Oh, and Hop-A-Potamus is back too. I do not know if many people like that Great River offering. I think it is awesome!

8. vidguy17

vidguy17 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Iowa

Great River can be very hit or miss, but Hop A Potamus is definitely on their greatest hits list!

9. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (591) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

TG XHops (Blue & Yellow) bottles will hit Iowa City/Cedar Rapids shelves tomorrow and Des Moines shelves on Friday!

10. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Initiate (134) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

They must've said something different on Twitter? Their facebook says IC/CR by the weekend.

11. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Yep. On Twitter they replied to someone elses tweet and said IC/CR Thursday and DSM on Friday. Plus....TG doesn't do deliveries on Sat/Sun, so they probably just weren't as specific on the delivery days on their Facebook post?

12. HawkeyeNation

Beer Trader

Nice! thanks for the info.

13. Roudy1

Roudy1 Aspirant (230) Sep 29, 2012 Iowa
    Beer Trader

The next batch of X-HOPS are dropping in Cedar Rapids right now.

Also Benz posted that they had this years Rye On Rye yesterday.

14. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

IC/CR XHops locations, per Toppling Goliath facebook post:

Bread Garden Market & Bakery
    HyVee First Ave. - Cedar Rapids
    HyVee#1 - Iowa City
    Benz Beverage Depot
    HyVee Oakland Rd - Cedar Rapids
    Johncy's Liquor
    Corridor Ventures Wine & Sprits
    Bootleggin' Barzini's
    Johns Grocery
    Coralville HyVee

15. 4four4

4four4 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2007 Minnesota

Who is distributing Toppling Goliath?

16. mitchellandvanessa

mitchellandvanessa Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 Wisconsin

Chad

17. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Self-distributed
    Chad = Wisconsin distro
    Murph = Iowa distro

18. mitchellandvanessa

mitchellandvanessa Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 Wisconsin

19. 4four4

How are they doing with self distribution?

20. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (179) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Picked up my Xhops blue and yellow @ Johncy's! Also, Benz had some BCBS '12, BCBCS '13, BCBW '13 and Big John yesterday when I stopped in.

21. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

As far as I know, they are doing very well. Can't keep anything on shelves more than a few hours at most locations. Once they start increasing output (both bottles and kegs), I would assume it will take a bit longer to hit all their distro locations with just 2 people, but we'll see. As far as I know, they don't really have any plans to pick up a distributor, unless they expand to MN, in which case they'll have to.

22. HawkeyeNation

Beer Trader

Damn, I wish this was posted yesterday. Just called and they are out of the Bourbon County but still have some Big John.

23. Roudy1

Beer Trader

They have a couple of bottles of Crime and Punishment and a couple of bottles of Big John. The thing that excites me is that they have SEVERAL bottles of Matilda vintages all the way back to 2008, which is exciting to me...probably not so much to anyone else as it's not made by TG or a big barrel aged stout. It'd be interesting to do a vertical.

24. DesMoinesCraft

It only make sense if they plan to continue to expand. A distributor at this point would only take money out of their pocket and they are not doing the volume at this point for it to be worth while for a large distributor. To be honest I'm surprised that any of the Iowa breweries are going through a distributor at all. Unless of course they plan to ship out of state there is no reason.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  25. mattafett

mattafett Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

Not 100% accurate. Distribution laws are complicated at best. Brew pubs can't self distribute. Big Grove, 3rd Base, Raccoon River, etc follow different rules than Toppling Goliath and Peace Tree. The game is not even.

26. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Disciple (317) Oct 24, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a bottle of yellow that I won't be able to drink until tomorrow. It's my first of the series that I've been able to try. EXCITED.

Pintofbrown likes this.
  27. 4four4

They only have two people distributing their products? How is that even possible?

28. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

Pick and choose the places you want to distribute.

29. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

Pick and choose the places you want to distribute.

30. 4four4

So they have 100 accounts?

31. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

They very well may have that many. They maybe only have 5-6 markets though. There are also bottle accounts and keg accounts. El Bait Shop for example, wont get any of their bottles, but they'll get kegs.

32. DesMoinesCraft

Yes they can if they have the proper licensing they can self distribute within the state of Iowa or sell to those with proper licensing as in a Class A or AA Native Beer Permit to resale as in Class C or B. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the code as it is listed on The Iowa AVD site at http://iowaabd.com/alcohol/licensees/licensing/licenses. Basically, the provision to distribute within the state is included with the permit to manufacture. Of course if they want to distribute out of state, the Federal Three Tier system comes into effect and will need to be distributed independently. My guess is that since both Raccoon and Peace Tree predate the change in the code they maybe grandfathered in and would be required to put up an additional bond to self distribute.

Title IV, Subtitle 1, Chapter 123

A class "A" permit allows the holder to manufacture and sell beer at wholesale. A holder of a special class "A" permit may only manufacture beer to be consumed on the licensed premises for which the person also holds a class "C" liquor control license or class "B" beer permit and to be sold to a class "A" permittee for resale purposes. (Class A defined in Iowa Code ยง 123.127)

redblacks75 likes this.
  33. DesMoinesCraft

The state isn't that big. There is really only five metro areas and I'm guessing there production is not to a point where they are moving enough product to keep up with demand anyway. If you think about it an 8 hour route could cover three or four markets a day.

34. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Total guess here, but I'd say between Draft and Bottle accounts combined, the number is less than 100.

35. Herky21

Herky21 Crusader (709) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

If you use the TG locator I think you'll be surprised. They've got a lot of accounts in small towns. If you select Edgewood, IA it includes Cedar Rapids, but you'll count 25 accounts on that page. Not to say they are all going to have beer available each and every day.

36. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

We use 3 distributors and we self-distribute as well. I wish the laws were different in Iowa, such as they are in CA, as we would create a lot of new jobs by building brewery's in every key market. Want more of our beer? Contact your state legislator and ask that the laws be updated to give Native Iowa Breweries more than one class B license. It makes sense as it not only creates new jobs, reduces the carbon footprint of the beer, but also would get it to you even faster and fresher! Of course if we decide to go the route of only using distributors, we could change to being a group of brewpubs (even with out food) and get all the class B licenses we want.

Makes a lot of sense, huh? Almost as much sense as when we could only make high gravity beer to sell out of state, but yet could sell high gravity beer in state as long as we bought it from out of state o_O

redblacks75, cmannes and Bond111 like this.
  37. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

I think right now, you, as a brewery, have the respect in the state to be able to spearhead this sort of legislature, much like Surly did in Minnesota. However, I would hope that you would take care of your "home state" before branching out to other nearby states with any sort of passing legislature. I think a lot of die hard Surly fans are a little sour about getting less and less of their seasonal offerings (Abrasive, Wet, etc) because they are using most of their brewing capacity to fill their Chicago orders. Just my two cents. Love what you're doing up in Decorah, just wish I was able to physically get more of it in Iowa.

davesway10 and JediMatt like this.
  38. Herky21

Herky21 Crusader (709) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

the guys from Madhouse have done some lobbying in Iowa. I think the IA Craft Brewers Guild had been discussing the possibility of spending their profits on lobbying about a year or so ago. Getting TG in there with a reason to lobby would probably be good motivation to actually get something started.

39. Roudy1

Beer Trader

When can we expect Hopslam bottles?

40. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

^^Same with Enjoy By 2.14.14?

Roudy1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe