1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printer1

printer1 Initiate (157) Aug 29, 2005 Iowa

Sales are not supposed to start before 7 am tomorrow. Last year the Hy Vee I was at just opened the cases at 10 minutes to 7, and said Have at it. I was 4th in line and was lucky to get any.

2. ALO22

ALO22 Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2014 Missouri

I'm super disappointed that we are getting more BCS than EVER before...what a bummer.....

3. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (485) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia

Variants included?

BrettHead and Ristaccia like this.
  4. printer1

• And the kids are all snug in their beds,dreams about BCBS dancing in their heads.

BrettHead likes this.
  5. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aspirant (279) Apr 22, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Where I'M at, I haven't come across any places I've looked into going for BCBS, where I'll be able to get more than I got last year. So the more-regular but no-variants notion is a moot one (if even true). I've already admitted the 1st-world-problems-ness of the whole situation: so yes, sorry to those in lesser circumstances, I'm an asshole who isn't getting what I want.

BeersAndBears and BrettHead like this.
  6. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout!?!? Where!?

:stuck_out_tongue:

BeersAndBears likes this.
  7. BrettHead

Yup, I am in Nebraska but my store is getting the exact same amount of regular as last year but no variants. If I do my maths right, that is a net negative.

Oh, did I mention a price increase :slight_smile:

I'm not mad, but painting this thing rosy is a bit much.

BeersAndBears and mattafett like this.
  8. bditty187

bditty187 Poo-Bah (2,419) Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

@BrettHead My BCBS was cheaper this year? Odd.

9. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (235) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Ever as in 2 years? 2 years ago there was a stack of 20 cases of regular at a smaller HyVee in Marion. So unless there's a mountain this year, I wouldn't exactly say EVER.

JavaNoire and BrettHead like this.
  10. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2012 Iowa

Has anyone heard the rumor of Enjoy After hitting Iowa??

11. pepsican

pepsican Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa

We got in 7 cases. Six of the regular BCS and one of the barley wine. I thought we had more last year but I have no idea how they did allotments.

12. IowaBiertrinker

IowaBiertrinker Disciple (368) Sep 20, 2010 Iowa

They just got Stone's Enjoy by 12-26-14 IPA this morning at Mills Civic Hy-Vee.

13. redblacks75

redblacks75 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2010 Iowa

I've been waiting for someone to say this. My thoughts exactly.

14. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Defender (658) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

You beat out every place in Omaha that I'm aware of (though I haven't seen Brix/Whole Foods/Costco/Cubby's pricing). Beertopia was the lowest I saw/heard of this side of the river (at 20.99/4pk).

BrettHead likes this.
  15. BuzzG

BuzzG Initiate (94) Dec 6, 2013 Iowa

An hour ago I just happened to be at the HyVee on Merle Hay in Johnston and they had 3 cases of BCS. $25/4 pack

16. BrettHead

Yeah I was surprised to see you selling it for $19.99. It went up ever so slightly here (a dollar basically where I had been hearing a couple bucks)

17. BrettHead

Indeed, there was massive amount of BCBS in 2012

18. BeerCrazyCrow

BeerCrazyCrow Initiate (102) Nov 28, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Did anybody see any of the vanilla variant in iowa? I got the regular, barleywine and coffee,but i didnt see the vanilla.

19. printer1

Still 3 cases of BCBS at Windsor Heights Hy Vee. Picked up The Abyss on 42nd. Des Moines.

20. Roudy1

Roudy1 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 Iowa

I'm kind of torn. It seems kind of silly to me that there's a LOT of bars that are getting kehs of BCBS that hardly care about craft. The craft bars are too but there's some getting it that are just on the bandwagon. Either way, it doesn't really matter as I'll get to try it either way. I just hope that they don't all tap them today. I'm not sure I understand the reason for the bars getting the coffee, so if somebody wants to give me an explanation for that I'm ready to listen.

21. SwinginParty

SwinginParty Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Minnesota

Oooooh man. Had my first Pseudo Sue last night. Mind blowing. I think it completely destroys Pliny.

Ejayz, Beestin, bocky24 and 2 others like this.
  22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (621) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

And yet, Goose Island sales are up for 2014 in Iowa and we still get kinda shafted.

redblacks75 and JavaNoire like this.
  23. bditty187

bditty187 Poo-Bah (2,419) Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

So Iowa *did* get GI beers aside from regular BCBS? Some Barleywine in my neck of the woods would have been nice...

Ristaccia and BrettHead like this.
  24. dragonaut

dragonaut Aspirant (276) May 29, 2005 Iowa

I think regular BCS is great fresh this year. The best it's been since 2011, and drinking even better fresh than that year's did.

jruno and HawkeyeNation like this.
  25. ZacharyIsom

ZacharyIsom Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Iowa

If anyone in ic is still searching for bcbs, bread garden released their allotment this morning!

26. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aspirant (279) Apr 22, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Sorry to change the topic but did anybody else have the latest Enjoy.By (12.26)? Not. A. Fan.

bufante likes this.
  27. DecorahNM

DecorahNM Initiate (92) Jun 6, 2013 Iowa

For anyone who might be up in Decorah today, we still have bottles of BCBS hanging around at the Cellar. Probably gone today. Regular 14' BCBS still on draft as well - although that's likely 5-6 pours away. Xmas Bomb going on tap when BCBS kicks.

Also: Haven't seen them brought up recently, but had a couple pours of Lion Bridge "Collapse of the Mulitverse" to end the evening yesterday. Thought it was pretty delicious, and fun to taste side-by-side with Zeelander. I'm an admitted Nelson-Sauv fanboy, but definitely worth trying! Now if we could just get more 'Merica....

BrettHead likes this.
  28. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa

I love it, super dank

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  29. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (315) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

^^^ I thought it was lacking in the dankness department, Almost tasted like Harvest by Founders. It was still good though!!

30. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (295) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Anyone else had West O Coco Stout. I thought it was damn good. Cheers!

31. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska

I hear it tastes like Founders All Day IPA if you drink it on 12.27. :slight_smile:

32. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa

Is west o only distributed to the central/western half of the state?

33. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2007 Iowa

Lion Bridge has a keg of West O Coco Stout on tap right now. Slowly moving into the eastern part of the state

iabeerbaron likes this.
  34. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa

Damn, maybe I'll stop by after work tmw if they still have it

35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (621) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Agreed. It's my favorite Enjoy By release we've gotten in Iowa this year.

36. dragonaut

El Bait Shop appears to have Lion Bridge Coffee Compensation on tap based on Untappd check-ins from last night. I will have to check it out after work sometime this week.

iabeerbaron and BrettHead like this.
  37. Berg77

Berg77 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2013 Iowa

Yep, had it there yesterday. Was very tasty and coffee forward, as to be expected.

38. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (235) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I was going to say this exactly. It's pretty light, but again, that is to be expected but extremely coffee forward. I enjoyed it. Did not really like Iron Lion or their Nelson Sauvin.

I tried out Another Road Brewery in Marion when I was home for Thanksgiving. The atmosphere for the "brewery" was really cool. The beer, not so much. I tried the Dry Pump Stout and thought it smelled and tasted like peanut butter and bananas. The wife took two drinks of the Farmers Daughter IPA and passed it my way.

I heard that they are trying to get out of Marion because the city's water is terrible and I can definitely attest to this. Perhaps once they move, things will turn around, but right now it is not a place I'm looking to return to.

39. Marcazi

Marcazi Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2013 Iowa

Bourbon county brand stout on tap at Dublin bay in Ames today.

40. dragonaut

Schell's Fresh Hop Equinox Pilsner starts hitting DSM metro stores this week. Prairie Trail tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.