IPA Fest in Cyberspace (2021)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by Todd, Feb 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OMG

OMG Initiate (122) Oct 15, 2012 Indiana
    Society

The Half Time website seems to screw up when you accidentally autofill the order form with a ZIP code that's longer than 5 digits. Tried to order some beers the other day and for some reason their form calculated an insane amount of shipping to IN when I've always been able to get stuff at the regular (or included) rate.

Got my order in though. Woop.

pdmoore714 and Todd like this.
  2. ljkeats

ljkeats Zealot (566) Jun 27, 2007 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Order placed, confirmation email received, I am sooooo in for this.
    Now I just have to make sure the WiFi extender makes it out to the fire pit (I mean, it’s not all THAT far really) and start praying for good weather for those days!

Todd and Whyteboar like this.
  3. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,270) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Grand Rapids area.

4. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (5,266) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

No shipping to Missouri?! Back before distribution was good I would order from places in CA, IA, MN, and IL. Never found an online retailer that didn’t ship to MO. Disappointed.

5. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

let me send you a PM so we can discuss things

6. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

A Lager Fest would be perfect with summer approaching. Suarez, Dovetail, Bierstadt, Live Oak I'm sure others...maybe even get B United to can some freshly imported lager(s) from Europe. Just saying. :wink:

o29, REVZEB, NEBeerGoddess and 5 others like this.
  7. Efinkels

Efinkels Initiate (5) Feb 11, 2020 Florida
    Society

Bummer, I'm in FL and EBF beers arrived with plenty of time.
    EDIT: Is the issue just FL/OH/CO? HalfTime lists LA as an available state, but when I try New Orleans, it still gives me the "Sorry, no quotes are available for this order at this time". So I'm back to wondering if there is a technical glitch?

#87 Efinkels, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (11,420) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

THIS!

FBarber likes this.
  9. Todd

Todd Founder (6,668) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Just posted another round. Two more Double IPAs. :dizzy_face:

Against the Grain is dropping a classic into the box. Haven't had one for ages!

Citra Ass Down (Double IPA); 8.2%; 16oz can

"This iconic double IPA is not candy or mother's milk. It is not brewed by gypsies or aliens, nor does it contain any zombie dirt. This is a double IPA brewed with Citra Hops. It’s sticky, hoppy and delicious. Simply drink it and enjoy it. Don’t hoard this beer, Citra Ass Down and drink it now."

And New Realm is sending us one of their Monsters & Myths.

Jacked 'Squatch (West Coast Double IPA); 9%; 16oz can

"For our 2nd release in the Monsters & Myths DIPA Series, we celebrate the big-footed 'hide-and-seek world champion' with a mighty, hop-forward West Coast Double IPA. Jacked 'Squatch is packed with a beastly amount of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe & Vic Secret hops for an aromatic blend of citrus, peach, pine, and tropical fruit."

astrobrewer, Uptownal, Kraz and 5 others like this.
  10. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Champion (838) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Ordered my box yesterday before any of the offerings were posted and I'm getting more excited as each of the beers are being revealed! Looking forward to it!

FBarber and Todd like this.
  11. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,085) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Order in!

Todd and FBarber like this.
  12. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,317) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Wait......... no Wyo!

13. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,819) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Citra Ass Down seems a bit of an odd choice for a beer festival. It's a year-round beer. It would be like Sierra Nevada submitting Torpedo to a fest.

Surprised that Against the Grain didn't have something more interesting and unique to offer

pjeagles and Mosbystien57 like this.
  14. Todd

I think it's a great choice. Like our in-person fests, every beer doesn't have to be a one-off or something that's hard to get. Regardless, Citra Ass Down will still be new to many and it's a damn solid beer. Also, we didn't have much time to plan this fest and most brewers operate with strict brewing schedules that are often planned months in advance. They were invited 12 days ago and the turnaround on this fest is incredibly tight. Stoked to have AtG at the fest and that this fest is even happening!

15. Uptownal

Uptownal Disciple (341) Nov 2, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Are we going to get Russian River on the east coast? I would also love have plain old Pliney the Elder. I beer I'm still chasing. I know they have a brewery in Philly.

16. Todd

If you join us, you'll be getting a can of DDH Pliny the Elder.

Russian River doesn't have a brewery in Philly. They have a production brewery in Windsor and the brewpub in Santa Rosa, California. They do some drops in Colorado, Oregon and Philly, but their core distro is California. https://www.russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers/

17. Uptownal

Society Trader

Awesome! I'm already in.

Todd likes this.
  18. Uptownal

Society Trader

Trust the process

socon67 and FBarber like this.
  19. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Poo-Bah (3,014) Nov 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

This was the problem. I had put more than the five zip code numbers requested. Thanks.

20. Todd

I've got two more for you...

DC Brau is bringing the haze packed with hops!

Sticky Find (DC Hazecore IPA); 8%; 16oz can

"A Hazy Double IPA, utilizing 5 different hop varieties at 3.5 lb per barrel."

And Marcus at Weathered Souls is sending us some West Coast vibes from Texas.

West Coast IPA (American India Pale Ale); 7%; 16oz can

"The de facto flagship beer of our lineup, our West Coast IPA pays homage to Marcus' old school California origins with some Texas-persuaded adaptations. Abandoning the darker, sometimes egregiously sweet copper colored malt bombs that made up the gold standard of IPAs from the mid-to-late 90s to the early 2000s, our West Coast is leading the IPA reformation in San Antonio with a dry, crisp, and citrus forward profile, outselling all other craft IPAs in the region three-to-one. A bursting bouquet of tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, and other bright citrus aromatics leads the charge with just enough residual malt sugars to offer a modest body and balance out a moderate level of IBUs. A light cereal-like malt sweetness lifts the overall hop profile without getting in the way of the ballet of resinous, piney, and citrus characters that make up the bulk of the flavor profile. This modern classic is the archetype of the new age West Coast IPA."

21. o29

o29 Disciple (358) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

I was in the moment I saw DDH PtE. Looking forward to the Lawson unveiling, and I feel fortunate to live in a state that's eligible.

FBarber, Jaycase, Todd and 2 others like this.
  22. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,896) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

That was the deciding factor for me too!

23. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (506) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Order placed! Had to miss the virtual EBF, so I’m super stoked I can participate in this one!

24. HalfTime

HalfTime Initiate (21) Nov 30, 2003 New York
    Trader

Updated! Sorry about that, y'all.

o29, FBarber and Todd like this.
  25. Grackos

Grackos Defender (609) Sep 6, 2014 Florida
    Society Trader

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

26. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

Just noticed that DC Brau beer is a brand spanking new one. That's a cool touch

They are one of the two breweries listed I don't have any experience with, so that makes it a bit more fun

Todd likes this.
  27. Todd

Breakside is bringing the another IPA from the best coast. :wink:

West Coast, Best Coast (American IPA); 7.4%; 16oz can

"A clear-as-can-be, dry, bitter, intense West Coast IPA. Hopped with Strata, Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson for some sweet fruit, huge papaya and tropical, and plenty of West Coast goodness."

So that's 7 of 12 posted now. I'll post more as soon as brewers confirm what they're bringing.

28. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Because who uses Zip+4 to precisely identify the delivery address of delicious beer?

And then don't be surprised when you get an abandoned cart email from Half Time a couple hours after you bypass their zip code error and successfully purchase the IPA Fest case.

5:48pm "Thank you for your order from Half Time."

8:05pm "Finish your purchase before someone else grabs your beers!"

29. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,077) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Thanks for doing another one of these so soon! We loved the EBF box and look forward to sharing these with the crew.

Todd likes this.
  30. Todd

I'm stoked to announce that Revision Brewing Co. (Sparks, Nevada) will be joining us from the Mountain region! Beer to be announced.

jcoleMA66, Rug, CB_Michigan and 2 others like this.
  31. ColinPHubbell

ColinPHubbell Initiate (74) May 16, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Excited for the Pliny variant and other west coast IPAs. [But beyond that look away if you don't want an honest opinion: Wish you guys would've sourced something more Fest-exclusive than common brews like Little Sip and Citra Ass, not to mention the heavy lean on NEIPA (likely IBU-less, juicy, Untappd-hyped hop slop). Man, even Wings of Armageddon would've been nice. Half Time might've also sourced some cool stuff from NY like Ithaca's "Happy Pappy" or from one of the best small breweries in the state Prison City, etc.]

cryptichead likes this.
  32. Todd

I covered this here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...in-cyberspace-2021.655600/page-3#post-7191326

Also, we curate the brewers for our fests, and the lineup is pretty damn balanced between hazy and clear so far.

ColinPHubbell, Rug and FBarber like this.
  33. RugbyGreg

RugbyGreg Disciple (394) Oct 28, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Little Sip is a great beer, but was expecting more from Lawson

ColinPHubbell likes this.
  34. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Who did you guys use in CO? tavour uses interstate express. I could see the issue if halftime did as well. :rolling_eyes:

35. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (2,886) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I’m getting antsy about the 12th brewery, can’t wait. Any Hints??

Rug likes this.
  36. Todd

I don't recall who Half Time works with in CO, but there were major delays and issues (as seen in threads from the last fest).

SFACRKnight and FBarber like this.
  37. Todd

As we're still waiting on confirmation from the brewery, and have backups if they can't join us, it'd be premature to drop any hints.

FBarber likes this.
  38. Todd

FBarber and johnInLA like this.
  39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

That's a bummer. The beers in this one are all right up my alley. Hopefully someone in CO can step up so the rocky mountain BAs can participate again.

40. tvdtvdtvd

tvdtvdtvd Initiate (28) Dec 21, 2016 Texas

I am bemused, (AF), with the above observation, as it hints at all that's wrong with modern day brewing and the IPA style in particular. It will be interesting to see if IPAs presented are actually classic IPAs, or if they are instead a mishmash of garbage pail recipes. Hopefully the former; the shelves are already too cluttered with the likes of White Quinoa Parmesan Passion Fruit IPA, Oat Watermelon Juicy Jerky IPA and Hazy Rum Raisin Grapefruit IPA. Such is the folly of an overcrowded marketplace that so many breweries have fallen down this rabbit hole. It is little wonder there exists so much hate for the 'IPA' style.

Long live the IPA; may we see its return some day.

ColinPHubbell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.