IPA'S vs Stout's

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Reds76, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reds76

Reds76 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Maine

There are obviously many types of beers but IPA'S and Stout's seem to be two of the most popular. How would you turn an IPA lover into a Stout fan or vice versa. What do you love about your preference and what are the people on the other side missing?

2. keehankevin

keehankevin Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 Wisconsin

Start with the easy drinking ones. Don't give an anti hop guy a 100 ibu 2ipa. Start with a mild pale ale and work up from there. I would say the same to get into stouts. Start with some easy drinking dark lagers or porter types. Work your way to big Russians and what not. Just my two cents.

3. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

Try FBS if you love IPA's or a glass of Guinness. For Stout fans, go try a glass of Sculpin or Titan.

4. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (520) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I love IPAs. They are my favorite style. Now that shorter days are here I have developed a deep affection for SN Stout. The beauty of craft is we can love different things at different times or different situations.

JLaw55 and turbotype like this.
  5. GeorgiaBeerGuy

GeorgiaBeerGuy Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Georgia

Love both.... Sours, on the other hand...... :wink:

slinger, Gaddabble, Seeker_11 and 2 others like this.
  6. turbotype

turbotype Aspirant (288) Nov 5, 2013 California

I'm a fan of both styles. I drink one or other based on mood, season and weather. Sometimes I will have both in one sitting. Actually the other night I had a Stone Enjoy By, then one Narwhal. It was splendid!

Lahey and Blueribbon666 like this.
  7. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 Colorado

They are my favorite styles by far. Today I enjoyed both Sierra Nevada Celebration and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. I'd probably recommend a Celebration right now to someone who's unfamiliar with the IPA style. For someone that is new to stouts? Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. So good.

fredmugs and turbotype like this.
  8. Nietzsches_Horse

Nietzsches_Horse Initiate (0) May 2, 2014 Washington
    Deactivated

Somebody who feels they are a stout fan has a greater chance of coming to appreciate the virtues of IPAs (and other so-called hoppy beers) by paying much more attention to freshness when consuming them. I, myself, am a case study in this regard.

9. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (799) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Society Trader

I wasn't aware of any styles except sours!

Tylertut likes this.
  10. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Ha!!

11. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Give a newbie time to enjoy his IPA's...next winter he'll discover stouts...

Reds76 likes this.
  12. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,896) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I'm a fan of both, let an IPA fan try a Steelhead Extra Stout from Mad River, not too sweet, dry finish. For a stout lover, try a rye or red/amber IPA, maybe a Bear Republic Racer Red, DFH Indian Brown, S/N Ruthless Rye

Reds76 likes this.
  13. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (789) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Ambers, more balanced black IPAs, hoppy brown ales, hoppier stouts/porters, and other transitional styles would be perfect.

deford likes this.
  14. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

I prefer stouts but I do enjoy having an IPA every now and then, in fact I was planning on having one or two tomorrow during the football games. I will say this, stouts are more complex than IPAs. I know some will disagree with this but the most common flavor I get with IPA is big grapefruit bitterness and not much else. Occasionally I will get an IPA that has some tropical notes like pineapple, mango and orange but again, the vast majority of the time I get big grapefruit bitterness but with stouts I get all kinds of flavors out of them. It seems like I pull new flavors out of stouts every time I drink them, especially the barrel aged ones.

With that being said, I see no reason to try to "turn people" one way or another, we all enjoy great beer and thats good enough for me.

15. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

It was gradual for me. 9 years ago Boston Lager was too bitter and Guinness was too heavy and dark. I couldn't drink BMC either. I would bring my own warm Vlad to house parties.

I forced myself to keep trying Guinness because I have an Irish last name and I was going to "learn" to like it. Glad I did that because now I love TRULY heavy and dark stouts. Ipas were repetition as well. I would try a sip of others beer and gradually I hated it less and less. I was finally broken like a racehorse when I first had Nugget Nectar and immediately loved it. After doing the BA thing for several years I finally attempted a sour and discovered there was no learning curve there. Loved them right from the start.

Gaddabble likes this.
  16. GabberGod

GabberGod Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

I'm a stout drinker. I got into craft beer via barrel aged stouts. I used to HATE Ipa's. I found them overly bitter and repulsive. That being said, I did start to appreciate some IPA's during the hot summer months.....they just had to have a nice balance between hops and malts. I didn't ever think I could get into IPA's but there are so many variations depending on hops, ibu's, grain bill etc. Sent can be said for ba beers. Depending of what kind of barrel, length in barrel, style of beer etc. Even non ba stouts. Dark lord vs guiness ....slight difference between the two beers. I think coming from stouts to IPA's a malty character or fruity hop variation would be more inviting to a stout drinker, while going from IPA's to stouts you might want a stout with note bother characteristics ie: coffee, lots of roasted malts with a low malt character.

17. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (685) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I really feel knowing a little bit about what to expect from new styles first has helped me appreciate them more. I've gotten into most styles by reading up on them first and finding out what attracts other BA's to them. After reading enough raving reviews on the top rated beers in those styles, I've literally dreamt about drinking them, then woke up craving them, and then went and sought them out at the next opportunity to do so. Such was the case with oatmeal stouts, milk stouts, and eventually sours.

Other times it just takes having the right beer at the right time, imo. That's how I got into IPAs and how my wife has gotten into IPAs and then stouts when previously she didn't like them.

18. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,835) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Why not just love both?

Blueribbon666 and kingofhop like this.
  19. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (533) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

An IPA during a hot day or with spicy food
    A stout in the winter or with some dark chocolate

That will convert anyone who deserves to be converted into a fan

20. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I vastly prefer stouts, I'm just not a hop guy.

But it would definitely not be weak IPAs that would turn me onto IPAs. It's be really well balanced DIPAs. People who like strong flavors like strong flavors, even in styles they don't like.

Lahey likes this.
  21. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

From IPA->Stout?

Fresh Victory Storm King Stout is a great place to start, intensely hoppy like a black IPA, but full bodied and heavily malty at the same time like a stout

Stout->IPA?

This one's a bit tougher. I'd suggest a black IPA like Sublimely Self Righteous or Greenbush Anger. It's kind of the same story as the Victory Storm King, Black IPA's have the roasty character of a stout, but tend to load up on the hops. Gradually work yourself down though to the lighter stuff.

22. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (624) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I love both, and and dubbels and quads and barleywines and marzens and doppelbocks. Tripels and pumpkin beers not so much.

23. Seeker_11

Seeker_11 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2014 Indiana

I am trying to figure stouts vs IPAs out myself. I am really into IPAs and my brother is into stouts. I think they are okay but just can't get into them. They fill me up and taste very similar to one another. Are stouts an acquired taste?

24. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (476) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I love them both. Two years ago I couldn't finish a bottle of either. I think 90 Minute was the closest thing to a gateway IPA for me given the malty sweetness. The first stout/porter I really liked was Alltech's Vanilla Java porter. Although I didn't like Storm King and Old Rasputin when I first had them, I knew I would with more "practice".

creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I've had success giving Fat Heads Head Hunter, GLBC Lake Erie Monster and Founders Centennial to dark beer-inclined people claiming not to like IPAs so I'd recommend those.

I've never met an IPA person that didn't also appreciate a good stout, so I don't know what to recommend there.

26. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I'd say IPA's are more of an acquired taste than stouts. and IPA is my favorite style.

27. mudbug

mudbug Defender (616) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Well first off, IPA is now pretty much used as a flavor descriptor rather than a "style". Stout still has a pretty defined parameter like "stout" er "Porter" er "Baltic Porter" er,,, well, you get it. So I'd hogtie them down and force "Cascadian Dark Ale"or "Black IPA" Down their ignorant throats until they gave in and admitted they would rather drink a true IPA or Stout than any more of that devil spawn style-less swill.

Shroud0fdoom and Reds76 like this.
  28. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,257) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I don't see why you would need transition any beer drinker from point A to point B, at least not in between styles, that is. IPAs, stouts, and all other styles should be enjoyed on their own merits. Personally, I love IPAs by far the most; they're my personal favorite style, but I love a good hearty stout now and then, especially in the winter or on overcast days.

29. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (241) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

Give a stout lover fresh Lagunitas Sucks. Single-handedly made me go back from black. Aroma and taste on that beer is just out of this world. Still in my top 5 favorites when it's fresh, fantastic even when it's not so fresh.

30. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Coming inside from the wind chill kissed cold, a nice stout served at 55ºf so it's been able to unpack itself a bit should work.

31. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

I would not attempt any such thing

dennis3951 likes this.
  32. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,595) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

I started in beer as a stout drinker. Dark or nothing was my position during most of '90s. An occasional lambic, perhaps, but they were too expensive.

So the first step was to drink browns. I learned these were not instantly rejected by more open minded lager drinking friends, so these were my go to beers to bring to a party in the '00s.

Around 2010, I drank an Arrogant Bastard. I thought it had grapefruit in it, not knowing at the time that hops could produce such a robust fruit taste. I'd had Sam Adams, so I was somewhat familiar with ales and lagers, but a conversation with a friend at work suggested I needed to get my hands on some different options. It was Zombie Dust that really woke me up. I'm still a stout fan, but once I began exploring, I found I enjoyed almost all styles - even sours.

All of which is to say, it took time, and a number of bumps in the direction to drive me into the arms of IPAs. If you told me in 1993 that I'd drink golden hued brews, I'd say sure, but only if it's cider; so I'd echo the notion of talking, suggesting options, but letting people drink what they want.

Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  33. imhoudinibitch

imhoudinibitch Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 New Jersey

Well, in my experience, since I started with flavorful IPAs, only thick, tasty, high in alcohol stouts really get my vote, otherwise I don't really like em.....

34. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

Im an IPA lover, but I have recently found stouts I enjoy. I would say if you like IPA's more than stouts, you should try double or imperial stouts. I have found the ones with higher abv are more flavorful, and the mouth fell is thicker which I like.

35. DaliQualiti

DaliQualiti Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 New Jersey

It's all about the experience. Just keep doing your homework and go purchase some random stouts or IPA's. Trial and error, my boy.

36. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Poo-Bah (1,991) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio
    Society

I'm more into IPAs. I love stouts, and have more highly rated stouts than IPAs-but IPAs win for the drinkability. Stouts can be a great, rich, complex cold weather beer-but I also recently found out I'm allergic to dairy- so I'm on a 12 oz stout limit.

37. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,067) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I think your title is flawed. It's not IPAs vs Stouts; it's IPAs and Stouts. I have enough room in my heart to love both! :wink:

Tsar_Riga and Reds76 like this.
  38. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Back in the day when the most adventuropus thing I drank was probably Newcastle I had a Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout at a party and I was blowed away. That really made me start wanting to try new beers.

IPAs on the hand took a lot longer. My friends used to drink Two Hearted all the time and we would get pitchers. I would nurse mine for quite a while but I eventually developed a taste for it and now Two Hearted is pretty much a session beer for me.

So I would start with Oatmeal Stouts and on the IPA side something in the 50 - 60 IBU range. Since you're in Maine maybe Mo by MBC and even though I don't care for it Finest Kind by Smuttynose.

39. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

40. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

Interesting timing. Stouts and porters have dominated my beer purchases for the last 30 days. The last 2 days I have only had Revolution's Anti-Hero IPA on tap and from cans. Just needed a break I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.