Irish Dry Stout Tasting March 24th

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Riff, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riff

Riff Champion (891) May 12, 2016 Virginia

It'll be Spring and time for another tasting! Irish dry stouts are fairly popular for a certain holiday and in the interest of opening the number of choices, we'll include foreign/export stouts to this one.

Some readily available beers include Guinness, Murphy's, and Breckenridge.

2. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Poo-Bah (1,990) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society

3. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,150) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Great idea! Calendar marked ...

FBarber, Riff and TongoRad like this.
  4. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,657) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Let's get LARRRGE...

Premo88, utopiajane, TrojanRB and 5 others like this.
  5. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks a lot for taking the lead on this one! I'll see you then.

Premo88, thebeers, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,960) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

All day, or a specific time?

FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  7. Riff

Riff Champion (891) May 12, 2016 Virginia

All day. Better to accommodate peoples various work shifts, time zones, and spacing out beers.

eppCOS, FBarber, keithmurray and 6 others like this.
  8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

sounds good to this drunk i mean this BA!

9. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Too bad we don't get Beamish in the US. That's some good stuff right there.

KentT, surfcaster and FBarber like this.
  10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ah, yes - Scotland's finest Irish Stout (at least of those exported to the US :wink: ).
    [​IMG]
    Unless you can find it on draught, in which case you'll enjoy an Irish Stout from The Netherlands:
    [​IMG]
    :grin:

steveh, FBarber, zid and 3 others like this.
  11. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,169) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I’m gonna look out for a Brooklyn Dry Stout. I’m not sure they still make it but that’s so good and I haven’t had it in years.

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,050) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Used to get it here but then it just disappeared a lot of years ago.

Enjoy

13. seth27

seth27 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Very underappreciated style imo. Wouldn't mind trying to find an out of the ordinary example of the style for this tasting!

FBarber likes this.
  14. marquis

marquis Champion (825) Nov 20, 2005 England

Not forgetting that Stout originated in London. Arthur Guinness failed as an Ale brewer so brought in a London family,the Pursers,to brew Stout for him.The rest as you know is history.

surfcaster and Bitterbill like this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Beamish was part of Scottish & Newcastle, which Carlsberg and Heineken bought and divided up by country in 2008. Heineken wound up with the Irish and UK parts of S&N, and within a year or so closed the Beamish brewery and moved the brewing of their beer crosstown to the Murphy's Lady's Well brewery in Cork which they already owned. It was around then that they stopped exported it to the US (probably didn't want to cannibalize their small Murphy's market share). IIRC, it had been imported by the short-lived Carlsberg USA.

surfcaster, tzieser and Bitterbill like this.
  16. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (83) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

It's strangely a style that most of the smaller breweries in Ireland don't make on a regular basis. Bars/Shops are hugely saturated with Guinness/Murphys/Beamish and these companies (allegedly) don't always make it easy for smaller producers to gain access to bars where they are served.

O'Hara's Leann Follain is probably the best widely available one over here and is very reasonably priced in the bigger supermarkets - I'll try and pick up a bottle to join in the chat on the 24th.

17. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

It starts and ends with Murphy's for me. Haven't had anything better or as good. I drink it year-round. It's really the only beer I'll ever entertain before noon and has been a good friend to me through countless Premier League matches over the years. I love thee

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Love the O'Hara's but no bottles in town, only on draught at Old Chicago so I can't use that for the tasting. Murphy's is my only Irish Dry Stout option but I will probably go with a Foreign/Export Stout instead .Zonker!

utopiajane, LiamoMill and TongoRad like this.
  19. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You can't get Guinness?

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,802) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Will have my Guinness Extra Stout ready.

TongoRad likes this.
  21. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,211) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Damn, it really sucks that we can't get Beamish here in the US anymore. It was easily my favorite Irish stout before Carlsburg/Heinekin/whoever-owned-them stopped importing it to the US circa 2008.

I'll do my best to contribute with some Murphy's.

TongoRad likes this.
  22. MNAle

Society

I'm having a few people over for St. Patrick's evening, and was hoping to have a selection of traditional Irish Dry Stouts on hand, but besides Guinness and Murphy's (which I will purchase), I was hoping for something local in the style, and then use the "leftovers" (or set-asides if necessary) for this on line tasting! But, unless I want to grab some growlers from one of the couple of locals who have it on tap, I'll have to broaden the selections.

I've come to the conclusion that no one buys Irish Dry Stouts because they like the style. They buy Ginnness because of the cachet of the name. That's why even Murphy's has a tough time competing.

TrojanRB likes this.
  23. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Got an Aldi in town? Around this time of year they put a Stout on shelves for St. Pat's called O'Shea's (psst... it's made for them by O'Hara's!).

Also, I'd bet Old Chicago has free WiFi! :wink:

24. tzieser

Trader

Have you tried Beamish? I was Team Murphy's until I had Beamish....which hasn't been available in the states for around 10 years now lol so I guess it's back to Team Murphy's.

FBarber likes this.
  25. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I've heard great things about Leann Follain. We get O'hara's Irish stout - I might try to grab that to give one a try.

TongoRad, LiamoMill and tzieser like this.
  26. tzieser

Trader

My sister was friends with someone who worked for Carlsberg USA. Whatever happened to them anyway? I remember them doing alot of marketing for, as I recall, Skol (the beer not the tobacco), Sol among other brands.

27. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (83) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

Haha are they doing that in the US too? I think the O'Hara's beers are a little better, could just be basing that on the branding wouldn't be surprised to see they were the same recipe.

The standard O'Hara's stout is nice but the Leann Follain is definitely a better beer - no idea about the distribution in the US but if you see it give it a go.

#27 LiamoMill, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    TongoRad and FBarber like this.
  28. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

That was a very nice Stout but it is no longer listed on Brooklyn's web site and I haven't seen it at retail for at least 2 years. To bad.

guinness77 and TongoRad like this.
  29. Bitterbill

Society

I can but I'm not a fan.

30. Bitterbill

Society

What's an Aldi?
    Yeah, I could do the wi-fi thing. :wink:

31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (720) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'd recommend all VA ppl to sample O Connor Dry Irish Stout or Parkway Coal Miners Dodder, pretty readily available

32. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,993) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

That is interesting. We started getting cans of Murphy's in Ontario again about a year or so ago after a hiatus of 15 to 20 years or more. My wife and I lived in Cork in 2006 and she loved the stuff. It was already Heineken owned, and I think was still brewed in the north end. Beamish was definitely still being brewed at the old brewery. I lived around the corner and my wife couldn't believe how the area always smelled of 'Wheeties.' "How can anyone live here!" she would exclaim. I preferred Beamish as I always found both Murphy's and Guinness to be too sweet by comparison.

Getting back to the Ontario cans. They read "Brewed by John Smith Brewery, Tadcaster, England." Interesting how we get it from a different source up here.

33. Ahonky

Nope, never had it. Would love to

tzieser likes this.
  34. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

It's a German-owned, independent, low-priced grocery store. They have decent deals on beer and wine too.
    I'm betting it's the same beer with a different label -- sure tasted identical. Trader Joe's (Aldi Nord over here) does the same thing with many U.S. breweries -- same beer, custom label.

LiamoMill and Bitterbill like this.
  35. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,816) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Care to elaborate on that? Particularly the first line. I could be misinterpreting you, but I buy Guinness and related beers because I like them and the "style."

36. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 California

Sounds like an awesome Idea. Count me in!!

37. Ahonky

For those in NYC area, what dry stout options do you find in store? I've only seen the big 2, and expecting Brooklyn to arrive soon enough.

38. MNAle

Society

I was being hyperbolic. "Not enough people" (rather than no one) to maintain the style as a regular craft offering, and in fact, it is difficult to sustain competition to Guinness at all. Guinness has a huge percentage of the market for the style, even in Ireland, according to what I have read.

"They buy Guinness because of the cachet of the name" IMO is true for the vast majority who buy the style. They buy Guinness because it is Guinness, not because they want an Irish Dry Stout and are looking for one to try.

TrojanRB likes this.
  39. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (687) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

My only experience with the style was a one-and-done Guinness on draught several years ago... ≤ meh. But I'm willing to give the style another go for this event. Murphy's seems to be the only viable option around me. At least BeerMenus says a local shop has the stuff imported from Ireland (not the Netherlands). A 4-pack for only $6.49. Will also check a nearby Aldi"s for that O'Hara's-brewed house label.

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Definitely Breckenridge, and I'm hoping to get O'Hara's, but it's harder to come by.

DonObiWan, Wasatch, Hoos78 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.