Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Is a fridge the best way to cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BottleCaps80, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I currently have two small dorm fridges that I use for cellaring the beers i want to age/sit on, as well as chilling beers that I plan on drinking within days/weeks.

My question: is aging beers at fridge temps for long periods of time (months to years) detrimental to the beer in any way. In other words, are there any advantages to aging at "cellar" temps, as opposed to fridge temps? Any styles that age better at a particular temp?

2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

It'll be fine.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

The colder you store the more it acts as a preservative. So there is no problem with it at all, though some will say it impedes the "aging" process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe