Is Asheville Beer Week Dead?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by andylipp, May 9, 2022.

1. andylipp

andylipp Disciple (349) Dec 8, 2006 Massachusetts

I've visiting Asheville toward the tail-end of what's billed as Asheville Beer Week. However, the official ABW website has a total of 7 events, and it starts in just a few weeks. Is ABW pretty much a non-event now because of COVID? Am I missing something? TIA

2. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (5,165) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society

@andylipp Came across this in the Asheville paper today; Beer Week is still on:

Asheville Beer Week, May 27-June 5

Asheville Beer Week celebrated the thriving and creative beer industry that earned Asheville the moniker “Beer City.” The week of collaboration shows the support of local breweries and works to make Asheville a must-visit destination.

“Even though there’s a lot and there’s slight competition, we realize that the more we help each other, the better we become, and the more people come here and drink beer here and come to Asheville for a purpose,” Smith said.

Asheville Beer Week is a compilation of multiple events per day at various locations. New beer releases, brewery tours, tastings, dinners and discussions, brewer meet-and-greets and more will be hosted at breweries and other venues across WNC.

The Biere de Femme Pink Boots beer release celebration will be at Hillman Beer May 27-June 5 and an author talk with John Holl (“Drink Beer, Think Beer”) will be at Highland Brewing on May 31. More events and details will be announced on the website, exploreasheville.com/asheville-beer-week/.

“We’ve tried to keep it super local,” Smith said. “Because there is so much beer in Asheville almost every week is beer week. But we want this week to be extra special.”

“It’s kind of like whatever your imagination can dream up, that kind of happens,” Smith said.

Just Brew It, a homebrew competition and tasting event, will be 2-6 p.m. June 4 at Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain. The event is for members of Just Economics, an organization with a mission to advance living wages, affordable housing and transit systems. However, new members are welcome at a fee beginning at $30/ year, which includes free event entry. Just Brew It will offer unlimited tastings of nearly 100 beers of diverse styles from more than 40 regional homebrewers who will compete for audience and judges' votes for awards and prizes.

For more details about Just Brew It, visit justeconomicswnc. org/news-events/just-brewit/.

Cheers!
    Tom

3. andylipp

andylipp Disciple (349) Dec 8, 2006 Massachusetts

Thanks Tom, but it appears that I was NOT actually missing anything. The ABW website still lists the same 7 events I spoke of, and Beer Week starts in just 2 weeks. The only "new" event from the newspaper article, the homebrew competition, is a members-only event. I might "join" to attend, though.
    Because of the large number of breweries in Asheville, I was expecting it to be a more organized event, but it seems that, at best, it's more of a laissez faire situation.

4. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (5,165) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society

@andylipp totally agree! I think this quote sums it up pretty well, “Because there is so much beer in Asheville almost every week is beer week". Welcome to my world one county south of Asheville! I'm sure good times and beer will be had by you!
    Cheers!
    Tom

andylipp likes this.