Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Is Dark Lord really worth it?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by raynmoon, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

For every post I read about how awful a certain vintage was, I find one that says they really nailed it that year.
    For every post I read about how great a beer DL can be, I read one that says it tastes like soy sauce.

Is there an issue with bottle-to-bottle consistency with DL or is this all part of some massive conspiracy? Are all of you people real, or has FFF planted phony BAs out there in an effort to drum up interest in this beer? Does DL even really exist??? Someone call Oliver Stone, I have an idea for a movie.

We're through the looking glass here people ...;)
  2. zipper8650

zipper8650 May 10, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

if you decide to give in and try it theres a guy on ebay with 4 each of a 6 year vertical for only $5000.
    TWStandley likes this.
  3. deadonhisfeet

Hmmm... Idea for a new thread: ``Things I'd rather do with $5000''.
  4. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Wow, that's a lot of soy sauce!
    cadizkyguy, tronto and deadonhisfeet like this.
  5. Unholygoalie

Unholygoalie Apr 1, 2009 California

No beer is worth that, IMO. Not even my absolute favs.
  6. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Very good RIS, but there are better IMO...(cough, cough Darkness).

Still, it is worth trying and even trading for because if it's sought after status. But one sitting next to the other, I grab Darkness every day of the week.
  7. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Sep 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Vinnie doesn't, but to drink Younger in SoCal I had to pre-purchase a ticket. Some bars were selling charity raffle tickets for a chance to get a pint.
  8. deadonhisfeet

I would also add that the DLD ticket sales are merely to control the size of the crowds (so that everyone who shows up can buy beer). Moreover, the proceeds from the tickets go to local charities.
  9. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Certain vintages are better than others. Most people who make claims haven't had multiple vintages.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  10. bradybeer

bradybeer Aug 9, 2005 California

Having to wait line for a beer, any beer, for more than an hour is f'd up. Camping out for it is debaggery. I really think this is ruining the craft beer scene. Think the beer only costs X? Figure in how much you make an hour X by the time you stand in line for it and you have the value. Thanks but no thanks.
  11. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

agreed. i think it's just fashionable to hate on some things on this site, and dark lord is one of those. too big of a target. it is a world-class stout.
    fishtremble and MarkIntihar like this.
  12. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Only had the 2009 vintage, so can't speak on the other ones...but 2009 was not good AT ALL in my opinion. I think I may be crazy though because I'm REALLY wanting to get my hands on the Vanilla Bourbon one.
  13. Unholygoalie

Unholygoalie Apr 1, 2009 California

You hear people talk about it all the time and you hear people wait in line, buy tickets, trade for it, seek it out, and you think to yourself, "This must be some amazing beer! I'd like to try it." So you find yourself some, jump through hoops, what not, and the beer, while quite good, doesn't seem to live up to all the energy spent to find it.

And then you're like, "That's it??"

Someone mentioned PtY in this thread and I liken it to that. I've tasted both beers and both were quite good. I truly enjoyed the two pours I had of PtY. But when looking at the cost and energy to find either beer, it wasn't worth the energy. If I fall into a bar that has PtY, great, I'll have some. If not, great, plenty of other brews to have.

Both beers were quite good and I'd like to have them again but I'm not gonna jump through hoops to get them.
  14. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

i think that's really the fault of anyone who thinks that taste (or incremental improvement in taste) is directly proportional to the effort spent on acquiring it. it's not, especially when so many great stouts are available now compared to 3-5 years ago. but it's not the fault of dark lord; it's still a great stout even if you can get a few others that are nearly as good for much less effort.

you're certainly right that there's no point in waiting in line for 99% of beers out there.
    MarkIntihar and aasher like this.
  15. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

I think it is more about the even than the beer. The beer is not worth that much.
  16. ricksrealm

ricksrealm Nov 10, 2011 Florida

ISO: BA Vanilla DL FT: My first born, Black Note and my left nut. jk
    I think it's super-hyped right now with the trades I'm seeing.
    It should calm some. We shall see.
  17. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Some people complain about the tickets but it's not worse than any covers you have to pay to get in random places.
  18. bobbidylan

bobbidylan Jan 5, 2010 Florida

dude i said the same thing about Hunahpu Day..i got in line hours before the gate opened and i was thinking the same thing im sure a lot of other people were thinking " is this worth it." i had the time of my life and drank some GREAT beer..i will go every year..im miles away from DLD if i could i would go..besides the beer im sure DLD is a great party day!!!!
  19. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I live no where close to FFF, but of all the hype about DLD I want to go just to people watch
  20. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

going to the event last year was totally worth it, getting the dark lord was almost an afterthought by the time i got home.

if you're considering trading for it, you're probably better off going after BCBS or KBS since they're (imo) ridiculously superior to dark lord and made in much larger quantities.
  21. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

lol at this. settle down; people "camping out" for a beer at a brewery isn't making any difference to 99.99% of your (or anyone's) beer activities.

it's like people thinking that trading, or ebay, or BAs complaining about fresh IPAs, or [insert something else that .1% of beer consumers give a shit about] is "ruining beer." (edit: incidentally, i do think ebay is bad for beer--really bad in the long run--but you're kidding yourself if you think some guy paying $1,000 for a 12yr old witbier has anything to do with you going to your local store for a beer run)

re: the extreme cost of DLD, if you're a moron and doing it because you're going to win the beer lottery and become the beer king, yes, or if you chase shiny things and took a week off work because you think the beer will be that good, yes. if you enjoy DL and DLD, stuff you're naming as "costs" is actually what you're buying.
  22. pheurton

pheurton Oct 11, 2001 Pennsylvania

I had the privilege of trying the first vintage in 2004, and writing one of the first handful of reviews here on BA. It was great and really groundbreaking at the time. Back then, the over-hyped nonsense was non-existent and I just traded with someone who got it casually from the ample supply at the brewpub. No release day required.

I get the event mentality of DLD, but it all seems a bit silly. The black market re-sales on ebay are quite frankly a disgusting practice and really just prey on the newbie craft beer sheep who need to feel special.
  23. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Mar 1, 2009 California

I don't think so at all...but everyone has their own preferences. A bomber shouldn't go for any more than $15 IMHO...

I'd gladly take many, many other Imperial Stouts over DL. For the record, my only experience has been with the 2010, Olive Green Wax

Again, no right or wrong answers here...
  24. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest

I really don't know where you're coming from with this. To be frank, you're WAY off base. People have been camping out at beer releases for some time now. And, really, it's not so much about the beer as it is about hanging out and drinking good beer. So, chill out, drink some Zombie Dust, and try and put it all in perspective.
  25. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest

Ebay is kind of fucking things up though.
  26. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Jun 18, 2003 Ohio
    Beer Trader

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!
    DL the brew is fair.
    DL the day--go. Attend the Friday tasting. Enjoy the opportunity to meet beer geeks and share some awesome brews. Listen to great bands. Drink lots of water. Pace yourself. Take names.
    The Truth.
  27. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It is, because brewers are finding ways to combat. I think their head is in the wrong place and should be more worried about meeting demand than raging over ebay auctions. The re-sale/trading market in craft beer easily has the biggest group of whiners I've ever seen with any luxury item.
  28. miketd

miketd Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell nooooooooooo!

If some like it and the event that goes along with it, good for them. I don't need to experience either again.
  29. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest

That's a bit of a non-sequitur...in a lot of ways. Breweries, generally, would brew more of such beers if they could. As I've said numerous times here, the beer geek, or whatever, community is the reason for the success of craft beer. It's what will continue to make it grow, and it is a big reason why brewers do what they do. The whole eBay thing is is screwing with that, and that makes it a very good reason for brewers to bitch about it.

You can try and diminish it all you like by calling people "whiners," but it's more WAY more than just a luxury item for many people. It's a way of life. I realize how corny that sounds, but it's the reality of the situation. I'd rather not have something I'm passionate about, and have dedicated a huge portion of my life to, belittled in such a manner.
  30. Gritch

Gritch Dec 26, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

As much as I am against eBay, but it is the free market in action. Nothing you can really do about it, but get your panties in a bunch. Some of the guys here are going to get an ulcer worrying about something they have no control over. It is what it is.
  31. Jose2412

Jose2412 Feb 25, 2012 Michigan

KBS day sure was cold. And the kick in the dick was it was sandwiched by like 70 degree days!
  32. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

How does craft beer relate to the wine industry, in terms of pricing? Do wineries sell their wines well under market price, then try to prohibit or condemn resale? Or do they generally sell at market price? I'm legitimately curious, because my assumption is that wine is a more "mature" industry in terms of industry practices (not clientele) and they would have solved these problems by now.

I love the burgeoning craft beer scene, and it feels great to pay $15 for a beer that is (hopefully) delicious, extremely limited, and commands a much higher price in the open market. But it seems unrealistic to me, and extremely wishful thinking, to argue that reselling of a product can/should be controlled or limited, just because you wish it to be so. If it's legal to resell a beer, and I believe it is, then it's going to happen -- at market price. It's fine not to want to resell beer or buy resold beer as a personal choice -- that's obviously your right. But turning that into a crusade -- where you condemn people for making their own legal, rational economic choices -- just seems moralistic and needlessly judgmental.
    rt1976 likes this.
  33. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest

We can trade philosophies on the free market if you wish. This is kind of a pet topic of mine. To summarize my beliefs: the "free market in action" does not trump all. The concept of a free market is rooted on the principle that such forces are in balance with the interests of society as a whole. In that way, eBay is the free market run amok; as, t is now in contrast to the interests of the craft beer community.

If you'd like to discuss this further feel free to drop me a private message (or start a new thread). I've probably hijacked the current thread enough. To get things back on track...DARK LORD!!!!111one!!
  34. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

At the anniversary party you got 4 tasters with the ticket/entry fee. DLD you are guaranteed your allotment of DL for $15 ($10 last year). Is it worth $50+ online, NO. For $15, YES. It's like saying is it worth spending $200 for lollapalooza or insert concert. Eye of the beholder I guess. You do wait in line Forever, but you get to bring beer and share with other BAs in line. If you like meeting BAs and new people while enjoying amazing beers than I would say its worth it!
  35. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

DLD super fun event. But as a beer, really good but overrated.
  36. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

If one were to attend DLD and get the allocation, the beer quickly becomes almost an after-thought to the great people you meet, awesome beers you taste, and memories you create.

Down the line when you crack open your DL, thinking back to the fun you had at DLD adds to the fun shared experience of drinking the bottle with friends and recalling the good time that was had.
    Kwaz and CaptCleveland like this.
  37. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

$15 dollars for your ticket this year. It was $10 last year. Dark Lord bottles have been $15 for at least the last 2 years.
  38. paslaugh

paslaugh Feb 17, 2012 Illinois

Waiting in line and sharing great beers is the most fun part of all. I wasn't waiting in line for the allocation, but rather the opportunity to meet awesome BA's and share/sample great brews from all over the country.
  39. funhog

funhog Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If I have to explain it to you , you wouldn't understand.................
  40. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

I don't understand people who are hating on the event. I had a blast - I got to try some of the greatest beers I've ever had and hang out with some of the coolest people I'll ever meet. I tried 6 different types of Bourbon County (Rare, '07. '08, '11, Coffee, Cherry) all because people wanted to share them. Not to mention the other incredible beers I was lucky enough to taste. And no, I didn't get black out drunk.

Sure, I waited in line for 20 minutes. But it was fun. I chatted with some people who were in front of me, then celebrated with them when they won a scratch off. We even shared a few beers while waiting. I could attend Dark Lord Day and be perfectly happy with never even purchasing Dark Lord. It's an ok beer, but the beer isn't why Dark Lord Day is so popular (regardless of what ebay leads you to believe).
    SimonesRules, dlello2, timmx and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!