Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

Not an abrasive beer by any means typically. Now an infected brew such as the one we are speaking of abrasive is an understatement. I've had this beer twice now in the last week and must have been two different batches my first experience was amazing but after hearing some concerns of infection I cracked a bomber I had bottled on 11/19 and without a doubt infection.

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

If you don't care for hops, and are expecting a big stout, I can see how this could come off as being abrasive...

3. homebrew311

homebrew311 Pooh-Bah (2,070) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I would recommend contacting the brewery. There was some quality control issues with the first batch of Nightstalker a few years back, the bottles were underfilled. I contacted the brewery via email and they compensated me promptly. The descriptions I'm reading sound like something is off. I had one bottle this year and it tasted fine.

4. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

He did say he had two bottles a week apart and that he enjoyed one but the second was different.

5. MarcatGSB

Is everyone on this fucking Site high as hell tonight? Dude, reread the post I responded to. He was responding to... Ah fuck it.

mikeburd1128 and jRocco2021 like this.
  6. jtg5678

jtg5678 Zealot (572) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I had a 11.19 and thought it was pretty bad. Teriyaki taste. I didn't consider if it was infected, just assumed the hop profile wasn't to my liking. Now I'm not so sure...

7. lucas1801

Read post 3 same guy you responded to.

8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I hate feeding rumors, but I think it would also be worth pointing out that this vintage is only recommended for short-term aging (180 days) compared to past vintages (5 years).

I'm not saying, I'm just saying... might this be a conscious effort to avoid infection criticisms in the long run?

oldp0rt likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

Series of events are as follows:
    He insisted to user tierney89 that it is NOT an abrasive beer, which is absolutely subjective.

10. lucas1801

Earlier had said:

I just had this a week ago and did not get anything like that from it. Tasted just like a non Bourbon version of BCBS. Smooth, balanced, and just a great beer.

11. MarcatGSB

OMG, shoot me.

12. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2011 New Jersey

i've had bigger hoppier stouts that have flavors that arent so contradictory as this one. night stalker is more like a black ipa more than anything with flavors that dont go well with each other. yeti and yakima glory are much better examples of this hoppy black style

antlerwrestler19 likes this.
  13. MarcatGSB

I'm not a fan of Yeti personally... I wasn't saying anyone was right or wrong or anything of the likes. Just making an observation to the posts.

14. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2010 Nebraska

I drank one to myself a couple weeks ago (m'lady fell asleep so I had her share). While I didn't find it infected I did notice that it was a total mindfuck of a beer, not at all like I remember the 2011 batches. I can't recall the bottle date but I've got a few in the cellar and will reference them later. At any rate, it could use the entire 180 days, if not longer, to mellow out on the hops......it was not a stout to me at all.

15. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Pooh-Bah (2,914) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

I didn't find Night Stalker abrasive, just WAY too sweet.

16. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

On the good bottle of NS I tried I actual thought it tasted much like the base beer of Bourbon County 2012. I've had plenty of the BCBS 2012 this year.

17. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

Mine was fine. Just tasted like a very hoppy imperial stout

18. bhir

bhir Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'll need to check the date on my bottles but I didn't think it was necessarily infected/sour. I just didn't really like it.

19. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

i've had 6 bottles dated 11/19/12. all have been amazingly good. :shrug:

20. phillybeer7779

phillybeer7779 Initiate (0) May 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

I had it on draft a few weeks ago, on the thin side, with a band aidish aftertaste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.