Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbol

dbol Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2007 California

i opened my 11/19 1236 tonight after the fear mongering in this topic, only to discover it's the same piney, hoppy stout i expected it to be.

harrylee773 likes this.
  2. robbrandes

robbrandes Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

drinking an 11/19/12 #1317 as i type. definitely the faint beginnings of some funkiness seeping in. ditto the black-IPA sentiments above. i thought it was still quite good, but glad i went ahead and popped it sooner than later. sitting on this one appears to be a gamble.

3. jtmiller03

jtmiller03 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2008 Oklahoma

Not all infections are bad... The infected rum barrel Big Sound from CCB was one of the best beers I've ever had. This sounds like the BA Yeti, hot pile of garbage infection.

4. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon

smelled/tasted like an oxy pad. review posted several weeks ago...

5. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon

We are doing in infected tasting tonight in buffalo! picks will follow I'm certain.

6. jtmiller03

If a Rum Barrel Big Sound makes an appearance, prepare to be happy... very happy.

ThePorterSorter likes this.
  7. Pando

Pando Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2011 Connecticut

I have 1507. Wonder if I should open it just to see.

8. schillman

schillman Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New Jersey

I had the same experience bottle date 11/19 1339

9. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2012 Virginia

11/19 bottle - was not infected, just didn't enjoy it...

10. Roger85

Roger85 Pundit (965) Aug 24, 2012 Illinois

I opened my bottle last night. Bottled 11/19 and it was god awful. It was either infected or the people who like it have no taste buds.

11. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

i traded for a bottle of night stalker that had a few years on it. i think it was the best smelling beer ever. taste was excellent, but the aroma was incredible.

12. goalie33

goalie33 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2009 New York

anyone have 11/19/12 1540? i was planning on sitting on my bottle as i enjoyed the aged version of the last batch much more than the fresh one, but seems that sitting on this one may turn into a rather expensive gamble.

13. Ish1

Ish1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota

Anyone hear back from GI on this? I have an 11/19 that I guess I will now plan on cracking tomorrow. Gotta find out!

14. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

I had one last night...11/19/12 1515...served in a Spiegelau tulip...straight off the basement floor...loved the first couple of sips...nice, hoppy imperial stout with some plum? Then it started to warm...and turned into a horrible overall experience...tart...metallic...like a penny swimming in ponzu...the aftertaste was like I had licked Satan's asshole...I'll check it out again next year...but this batch is just wrong.

15. Massbmx

Massbmx Pundit (884) Apr 5, 2011 Vermont

I've drank 3 bottles from the 11/19 bottling (can't remember timestamp though) so far and they were all great, then again I haven't had any prior vintages to compare against but have had other infected beers before and didn't get any of the same sour/tart/off flavors. It does have a very different flavor profile compared to most RIS though and that's part of the reason I enjoy it, its something different. Can't wait to try it in a year and see what its like.

16. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Saw six bottles at the store today, 11/19 1350. I was tempted, but decided to spend the money on Lagunitas Sucks instead.. anyone open a 1350?

17. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

this was my feeling as well--infected? prob not. Didn't like the beer/something off? yes. It mellowed a bit once it sat in a glass for 30 min and was drinkable. Will never buy again but wouldn't say mine was infected.

18. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

I emailed them and received a call from them promptly the next day and they are refunding my money. I was pleased with the customer service.

19. jtmiller03

Did they acknowledge any sort of known issues?

20. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I don't know what you are smoking.....But can I PLEASE get some??? :grinning:

I bought a whole case of Nightstalker, bottled 11/19.....Drinking one RIGHT NOW and it's one of the best stouts I have ever had.

If these are infected.....I'll take some barrel aged Infected with added Infective hops.

Though I will say, the first one I had, I thought it was way too sweet. The 3 since then have all tasted stellar.

Drew26 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.