Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

This year, we are told to consume within first 180 days.[/quote]
    Only if you want it hoppy.

2. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

Not in my case buddy. I can enjoy a hoppy stout/porter ie. Alpha Klaus, Beer Hop Breakfast, the bad Night Stalker I had was not the hops that were the problem.

3. Sam_E

Sam_E Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2012 Ohio
    Deactivated

The warmer my beer got the worse and worse it tasted. Ended up pouring out about 1/4 of the bottle.

Horbar and hoppusmaxximus like this.
  4. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

That was my experience exactly.

Horbar likes this.
  5. UshertheravenIPA

UshertheravenIPA Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey

My friend and I both bought a bottle. He drank his and said it was terrible and smelled like broccoli with an acidic overtone so we opened mine at our monthly Craft Beer night a week later and it was the same, minus the broccoli-like nose. The nose on this one was almost nonexistent. Expected alot of floral notes and got nothing. 8 people agreed it was undrinkable. Half of us poured it out after 2 sips.

6. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

Have a 11/19/12 1622 chilling right now, will post my experience

7. dahorn_spartan

dahorn_spartan Aspirant (257) Sep 13, 2012 North Carolina

I have 2 bottles, one is dated 11/19/12 1227 and the other is 11/19/12 1234. Hopefully they aren't infected.

8. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

My 11/19 1622 is fine. Wasn't blown away but thought it was a solid imperial stout, can't compare to previous years as this is the first time I've had it. I did get a little of that odd soy sauce/teriyaki thing going on in the nose but it wasn't intrusive.

9. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

at this point i think there are some people who are letting the news cloud their own judgement. there may well be an infection in some or even most bottles. but some of the descriptions being given are totally disparate from each other and from the common ones given for infection. for a more objective evaluation, people are gonna have to do this blind. someone has to test a friend who doesn't know they're being served nightstalker at all.

10. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

There should just be a permanent sticky thread at the top of the forum that's called Is ???? Infected, and people can just add their "infected beers" to that thread. These types of threads always turn into a "It's infected" "No, it's not" "Yes it is, idiot" "No it's not, moron" dick wagging festival, and honestly, it gets old.

Hindsight likes this.
  11. 316nuts

316nuts Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 Wisconsin

I just had a bottle. 11/19/2012 bottle date. Followed by the number sequence 1410. Had a distinct, overwhelming nose and body profile of soy sauce and/or teriyaki. Hops and licorice in the background. Little roast profile. This was unlike any stout I've ever had before. Very,very disappointed. Walked away from half a bomber.

12. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

more than 90% of the time, soy/teriyaki is not a sign of infection, but oxidation. like i said, i think people are getting confirmation biased.

13. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I'll GLADLY buy ALL Night Stalker that people think is "infected" . . . . . .

I can't get enough of it.

BM me if you want to unload it.

14. Gillian

Gillian Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013

Did any one confirm what is wrong with this beer? It tastes like it is burnt. My batch was 1433.

15. Gillian

Gillian Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013

Did they mention which batches were bad?

16. 316nuts

316nuts Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 Wisconsin

Thanks for the feedback. I've never had an infected beer or an oxidized beer, so the overall experience was new and unusual for me.

17. Horbar

Horbar Maven (1,397) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Opened 11/19 #1510
    I am pissed because I think this beer would have been awesome, but someone took a salt shaker to it. I love hoppy stouts and this one is ruined.

18. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,213) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had one a few years ago and it had a bad PVC aftertaste and 'haven't touched it since. Wish I could provide more details, 'just remember it as one I'd never buy again.

19. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2009 Maine

This is really, really turning into a gripe session about the various reasons someone might not like a particular beer....

afrokaze and JulianC like this.
  20. Drew26

Drew26 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin

Having my second bottle from the 11/19/12 date, both batch 1406...and this one, like the first bottle I had a few weeks ago, is damn good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.