Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Germany Is it against Bavarian law to alter beer recipes for export?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by glorth2, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glorth2

glorth2 Oct 3, 2007 Pennsylvania

Gruβ Gott. I'm having a discussion with a fellow yank and we are discussing the whole "is German beer sold in the US the same as German beer in Germany". I seem to remember reading some time ago that it was against Bavarian law to change a beer recipe in order to export it. Ie. the Salvator sold in
    München would be the same as Salvator sold in Philadelphia. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

2. einhorn

einhorn Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I have never read or heard this before. The difference may be in pasteurizing, which can alter the flavor, but otherwise I see no need, or know of any law which prohibits altering a recipe.

3. fineout

fineout Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

The Rheinheitsgebot doesn't actually apply to anything anymore, meaning its not against the law to brew anything that isnt going to kill you. the brewers are just stubborn and many consumers like reading "brewed according to Rheinheitsgebot".

4. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not sure if they would consider it to be the same recipe, but certain German Beers that are sent over to the US are different than native versions. Kloster Ettal's Curator is the first one that came to mind.
    I might be imagining things, but I think even some mainstream exports from brewers like Paulaner and the like are tweaked for export. The fact that many are pasteurized could potentially necessitate minor changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe