Is it getting harder to find Festbiers (pale Oktoberfest lagers)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gemini6, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (494) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

I generally prefer the pale helles Festbier style to the amber Marzen style of Oktoberfest beers, particularly early in the season when it's still quite warm. And IMO, German brewers just do these styles better.

But this year, my three favorites are noticably absent from shelves near me. Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier and Weinstephaner Festbier are completely MIA, while Paulaner Wiesn is only available in the overpriced gift packs with the 32oz can (worth one purchase, but don't want/need a giant mug every time I buy the beer). All three breweries have their standard offerings well distributed in this area.

The dark side has always been more popular, or so it seems. The amber Marzens are everywhere, both german and American. In fact, I've only found one helles Festbier for sale near me this year, and it's from Brewdog.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I'm in Central Michigan, fwiw.

2. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,462) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

As a famous storage wars character used to say yuuuuuuuuup!

The main ones are all available here.

The thing I find interesting is it seems more and more small local places have adopted the term festbier but they look far from the beautiful gold/pale the Germans have; and some are just straight up marzen labeled as festbier.

3. KT3418

KT3418 Poo-Bah (1,667) Mar 18, 2021 Colorado
    Society

All 3 of those are in Strongsville OH, if you're willing to go that far, we only have the gift set and 12 packs of the Paulaner though. There's also a couple local festbiers I've seen and they are actual Festbiers not Marzens. That sucks they're not around Central Michigan. If you see Benediktiner there that's pretty decent for the cheap price

#3 KT3418, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    ChicagoJ, o29 and jonphisher like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,751) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is unfortunate; there are tons of this beer at all of my local beer retailers. I have purchased one six-pack of bottles (so far). I will buy a four-pack of the cans if that format ever arrives to my area.
    It is fairly easy for the German brewers to 'win' as regards the Pale Otoberfest style since the vast majority of US craft breweries produce the Amber Oktoberfest sub-style. American beer consumers view Oktoberfest as though they should be amber.

Last year I enjoyed a four-pack of Tucher Festbier:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-61.661534/#post-7346786

I have not 're-purchased' Tucher this year since the cans have a tough to decipher code and I am concerned they might be from last year's release.

Cheers!

#4 JackHorzempa, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wow, and here I am complaining about not seeing Spaten. I've already had all of the above (including Paulaner bottles in 12-packs), not to mention a few locals that are brewed pretty well.

6. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,462) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

the code is simple, if it’s plastic packaging it’s last years if it’s cardboard this year. Thanks to other BAs for sharing this.

7. JackHorzempa

Society

At my local Retail Beer Distributor the four-packs are in plastic (and there are a lot of them). I suppose these beers did not sell well last year? US beer consumers prefer Amber Oktoberfest beers?

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for the plastic vs. cardboard tip.

8. o29

o29 Devotee (450) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

It's very discouraging to me (though not wholly unsurprising) when retailers put out old stock of seasonal beers.

I recently purchased a 4 pack of Tucher's Festbier without knowing the above, and fortunately lucked out that it was from this year's batch. The "gourmet" grocery store that I bought it from, at least in my experience, hasn't put out old stock on shelves for seasonal beers. I'm not sure if I've just lucked out over my many purchases though, or if they've been able to consistently ensure that their distributors do not push old stock on them, but it sounds like I've been fortunate.

To answer this thread though, I haven't had any issues finding any of the typical German import festbiers, and I have both Ayinger and Weihenstephaner bottles in my fridge right now, after having just finished off the Tucher and a 4 pack of Paulaner. Yum. Also, not sure if I've just again been fortunate, but I do hope this trend doesn't catch on elsewhere as I love Oktoberfest season, and the Germans still tend to do it best.

9. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (494) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

Stores can be sketchy, snd the German bottling codes don't help the confusion.

The Ayinger is my favorite marzen, and I'm glad that it's probably the most abundant German Oktoberfest beer available here. Hacker-Pschorr probably comes in second. The Paulaner Marzen is available, but kinda scarce.

o29 likes this.
  10. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,942) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

I feel your pain with the overabundance of Marzens to pale Festbier lagers. I wish more American breweries leaned toward the pale Festbier style because we're approaching Oktoberfest and it's still 80+ degrees here Up North. I'm not really in any mood for a Marzen yet. So I definitely prefer the pale Festbiers like you. Marzens are good, but I feel too early for the true Oktoberfest season. Sorry you haven't been able to find good Festbiers.

Providence and DrStiffington like this.
  11. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (99) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

All the usual suspects are available near me except one of my favorites spaten.

steveh likes this.
  12. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,585) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Just was at a brewery that won't be named. Had the Oktoberfest first. Then had the Festbier. The 2nd had more notes of the first than I expected. Just saying.

jonphisher likes this.
  13. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,861) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I prefer the lighter-colored festbiers over the darker marzens (although I enjoy those too) and wish there were more of them.

Elfastball7 and jonphisher like this.
  14. steveh

Society

I feel your pain.

Cstamp3084 likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

Back in the day Victory made a Pale Oktoberfest they branded as Zeltbier (translation: tent beer) which I really enjoyed drinking. I am bummed that under the ABV ownership they decided to nix this seasonal beer. :slight_frown:

Cheers!

16. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

17. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (99) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

I found some in Virginia and Pennsylvania best by 10/22 so I passed. My local distributor said they received kegs but no bottles I don’t really go out and drink but spaten on tap might warrant a trip.

steveh likes this.
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I’m seeing (or perhaps more aware) of Festbiers this year vs years past. Sam Adams even made a Festbier and I find more enjoyable than their Marzen/Oktoberfest. For at the beer store I was at today agreed as well.

19. steveh

Society

Second year for that one, so yeah -- maybe just more aware. :wink:

Bitterbill and bubseymour like this.
  20. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (75) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

I am a big fan of the festbier when done right. There seem to be more than usual this year in Wisconsin, as some local places are giving it a shot. I haven't found a go-to yet. Couldn't find any German festbiers at my local (although see below--maybe Paulaner?)

I did think the Fair State festbier from MN was pretty good.

Question about Paulaner. Under the festbier entry notes it says: '' Labeled as Oktoberfest Bier in Germany and Oktoberfest Wiesn in the US.' Is this still true? I saw tall boy Paulaner cans a couple weeks ago that said just "Oktoberfest Bier" (not "Wiesn") and they sure looked like festbier going by the color of beer on the can label. A friend of mine bought them and also said they were a festbier and not a marzen. I didn't buy them because when I saw them, the date made it look like they were a year old.

Anyone know if these Paulaner tall boys are festbier?

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Junior

Junior Champion (852) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’ve seen both Paulaner and Weihenstephaner festbiers in the Lansing area. The later was in Meijer last week when I was there.

Gemini6 likes this.
  22. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (150) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

They did drop the 'Wiesn' name from the can. If the cans looked like this:

[​IMG]

Then this beer is the festbier. This can was packaged in June 2022. Also came in a cardboard holder/packaging for the 4-pack

23. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,749) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Gonna be controversial, but up here in God's Country we get so.w excellent fest bier style beers Sitting here drinking pFriem Oktoberfest.
    Chuckanut also does a good one.
    Also have a six pack of Firestone Walker Oktoberfest in the fridge at home

24. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (234) Jan 8, 2015 California

Put me on Team Festbier. I have had all of the major German imports. I haven't had any locals but now that I have enjoyed the imports that I like I might do some research about the local options. Most seem to be the Märzen style from the description. If I see the Spaten Ur-Marzen I will pick that up as I have enjoyed it in the past. I have not located the Ayinger Märzen, but I will survive.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  25. steveh

Society

As Grant said, Paulaner dropped the "Wiesn" from labels (last year?). It's also available in six and 12-pack bottles.

I can't remember how the cans are dated, exactly, but Paulaner is usually pretty clear on dating -- best by one year from packaging.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  26. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,254) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Penn brewery makes a pale one that I consider the best out there.

27. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (103) Jan 27, 2009 Maryland
    Trader

Harder to find them? I don't think so. But it is always hard to find a good one. I just tried this years Sam Adams Oktoberfest and it was horrible. I wish Sierra Nevada would still brew their callab festbiers again.

ChicagoJ and KT3418 like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

What is the name of that beer? Is it packaged (i.e., bottled)?

Cheers!

29. klarcbarr3

klarcbarr3 Aspirant (221) Oct 1, 2019 Michigan

I moved to Michigan from NJ in Feb. 2021, and have had trouble getting many beers here that I used to find throughout NJ. Michigan has Founders, so all is not lost, but it seems much more restrictive on out of states brews, and I have no idea why.

Gemini6 and KT3418 like this.
  30. steveh

Society

Don't forget Bell's. For the moment, anyway.

31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think many breweries respect the 'dominance' that Founders and Bell's have here in Michigan and they have reluctance to come here, plus there may be a bit of a 'protectionist' barrier on the part of he government. (There definitely is for shipping beers and wine into Michigan.)

32. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Bottled and canned.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/125/1590/

Edit - although looking at it on untapped check ins its much darker than I recall. Maybe its changed or maybe my recollection is off. It's definitely a more pilsner tasting oktoberfest and a less caramel malt heavy one.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

That beer is not a Pale Oktoberfest beer.

Cheers!

34. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (75) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Yes this was it, thanks. If I recall, the one I saw had two dates a year (?) apart and the earlier date was March 2021. I will keep looking!

grantcty likes this.
  35. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (521) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I’ve lived a few places and traveled to many more. Michigan has a higher level of state pride than anywhere else I’ve called home. “Made in the Mitten” carries a huge amount of weight and the Michigan Brewers Guild did a great job of capitalizing on that sentiment when I lived there. Every gas station or party store had Founders, Bell’s, New Holland, even Short’s and Dark Horse mainstays (also Atwater, but ugh). There’s definitely more in-state options than when I moved away, so it’s not like you’re in a quality beer wasteland or anything. Distributors might be able to bring ‘em in, but who’s buying?

elNopalero, Gemini6, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  36. Fordcoyote15

Trader

I agree. Have you had it?

37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

For as long as I can remember marzen was the only style I could get until 3 years ago when the lighter examples started showing up. I enjoy both styles, but marzen does it for my palate.

PapaGoose03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,081) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

My guess is it's got to be mostly about distribution, laws and the size market you are in. I'm in the Atlanta area, so I can't help you much. Before 2019, we had Weihenstephaner Festbier (bottles) and occasionally Hofbrau Oktoberfest (bottles) available. Then Paulaner Oktoberfestbier starting around 2019. But we're a large metropolitan city market which has the advantage of being able to support more variety. I suspect the retailer doesn't have to make the choice, for example, between carrying either the Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen or Oktoberfestbier whereas a smaller market may.

While the Märzen is by far the most popular style down here, I suspect now that the Festbier style is becoming more available (we have tons of Paulaner & Weihenstephaner inventory this year) it will overtake Märzen in this country eventually. Personally, I enjoy both styles and don't feel like I have to make a choice - I buy both about equally.

A side note, I think the pandemic in 2020-21 made a huge difference in available ability of German imports of Festbier in America. Since the festival was canceled both years, German breweries had to package and sell all that beer somewhere. I noticed that the supply of Festbier nearly doubled in 2021 especially. I was afraid that, since the festival was happening in 2022, we would not see the same availability of Festbier. That has not seemed to be the case. We seem to have more supply this year than 2021 and that makes me very happy. :slight_smile:

Gemini6, PapaGoose03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  39. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,081) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

The U.S. has been bad about that labeling issue. Hopefully this is getting better. Victory Brewing used to label theirs Festbier, with Amber Lager in small print. I noticed they changed a couple of years ago to Festbier Märzen. The U.S. brewers should adopt the German convention to avoid confusion. Paulaner makes Oktoberfest Bier for their beer served at the festival and Oktoberfest Märzen for their exported amber lager. Weihenstephaner labels their Festbier - Weihenstephaner Festbier, but because theirs is not served at the festival itself they do not use the term Oktoberfest on the label. Basically, any beer made that is served at the festival uses Oktoberfest in the labeling.

PapaGoose03, jonphisher and ChicagoJ like this.
  40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Not in PA or NJ. Yesterday i saw weihenstephaner. Warsteiner. Paulaner. Tucher and some other lesser known ones in the fest style.