Is it to early?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had an infection sweep my brewery over the past few months. I cleaned all the fermenters and bleach soaked them. I also replaced my bottling gear as well. To test my system I brewed an American Blonde last Monday. Hit 90% eff, so topped off w/ water in the boil and pulled an extra 2.5 gals off and went all Brett w/ it. The Better Bottle one smells of honey, peach, and melons, and is @ 1.010, nice and clean. The conical is kind of phenolic, no melons, no peach, a little dirty fruit, and it is @ 1.007. Am I right to be concerned that the conical is a source of infection, or is it too early? Airlocks haven't moved in days, temp is dropping, krausen is fallen (in the conical only). Thanks for the help.

EDIT: For reference, 11# Pale Malt, 1# Carafoam, 0.5# Honey Malt, mashed @ 153°F, WY 1469 West Yorkshire w/ starter, active ferment w/in 15 hours.

2. jbakajust1

Pooh-Bah Society

Also, OG was 1.037, so 1.010 is 73% att.

3. chiefydawg

chiefydawg Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Ohio

Which fermenter had the Yorkshire and which had the Brett? I was going to make assumptions, but wanted to be clear.

4. jbakajust1

Pooh-Bah Society

Sorry, BB & Conical both got West Yorkshire clean, and a third ferment is pure Brett.

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Maven (1,374) May 2, 2006 Utah

The phenolic aroma may indicate infection or may not. Did the conical and bb ferment at the same temperature. If so, perhaps infection. If the conical fermented hotter, then that may be a normal reaction with the yeast. I have no experience with West Yorkshire, however, so my comments are only worth so much. Does the beer in your conical smell like your previously infected batches?

6. jbakajust1

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for the feedback. They were at the same temp. The phenolic is reminisent of previous batches, but hard to know for sure. 2 early batches didn't show signs til months in and they were quite hoppy which masked it until some judges caught it. My 2 Scottish ales have massive cherry phenols. My session stout had 6 orange zests and a cinamon stick so it was hard to pick up there, but I knew something was off. The Bitters and Saison got it through my bottling equipment so it is just beginning to show now.

7. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Is this a plastic or stainless steel conical?

8. jbakajust1

Pooh-Bah Society

7.5 gallon plastic conic ask w/ threaded brass garden hose bib ball valve. PBWd the heck out of it and did a 4 day bleach soak, boiled the ball valve, Starsan before assembling & pitching.

9. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Ouch man, I really don't have anything as far as help goes. I'll cross my fingers for you that you were able to get that conical free of infection.

10. jbakajust1

Pooh-Bah Society

I pulled another sample today. Aroma is a light indistinct hoppiness, no yeast character, no fruits, no malt. Body is very thin, indistinct hop flavor, light funkiness. Nothing like the BB's melons, peaches, apricots, and sweet malt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.