Is it wrong to drink a canned beer straight from the can?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (281) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

I too like a visual cause color and carbonation along with cloudiness or clearness affect the way it tastes for some odd psychological reason.

jhavs likes this.
  2. upsbeernut

I heard it was pricey so do what is recommended

3. richobrien

richobrien Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 California

For me its dictated by the setting more than preference. Brought some nice IPA on vacation and would drink from the glass in our condo and left it in the can when grilling or at the pool.

I do like the different aromas from the IPAs so tend to use the glass just for that reason.

upsbeernut likes this.
  4. upsbeernut

You can't taste the can on most beers and 70% of the ipas I drink taste great as is. But when I try a new one, I enjoy looking at it in the light and sometimes snapping a picture to post it. Its nice to let it breathe a little but gulp it as soon as it is poured. I do know double ipas taste better in a tulip or fluted glass so as to keep the abv and IBU combined under control for a balanced effect.

5. upsbeernut

I agree

6. upsbeernut

I also feel the can protects it from light even though its stored in a dark refrigerator. I guess if your drinking outside it would make sense, especially around a pool or beach since bottles are disallowed

7. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

A brewer puts beer in cans because you can fit more cans of beer on a truck than you can fit bottles so so shipping is cheaper. If there is a convenient glass around I will normally use it. A typical beer can contains between 2 and 3 volumes of CO2 for every volume of beer in the can. If you are drinking out of the can you will feel bloated faster, be gassier and loose some of the flavor and aroma. On the other hand, beer is beer. Enjoy it anyway you can.

8. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

Drinking straight from the can, although convenient, severely limits the experience of drinking a beer. Appearance and aroma are basically eliminated when drinking straight from the can, leaving only taste and mouthfeel to help you make a judgement on whether you like said beer. Take a beer you like drinking from a can and pour it into a glass. I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy the beer poured in the glass better. Appearance and especially aroma is a big part of drinking beer (for me anyway).

With that being said, if you enjoy drinking from a can then you should do so. I often drink from a can, but usually when drinking from a glass isn't practical (camping, backpacking, etc.).

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,269) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My best friend did that once at a big volleyball gathering at my house years ago. I lived in the boondocks at the time, he is still highly allergic and he had no epinephrine with him. He had really started to swell on the 20 mile ride to the hospital. It was a yellow jacket and he was scared shitless. He ended up just fine.

10. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,421) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Had some beers straight from the can at the beach last week. Enjoyment organ never knew the difference

11. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

No. Keep your options open and don't be a wuss.

12. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (785) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma

The first time a beer is had, a glass is preferable for a proper review. Sometimes drinking from glassware is less than ideal for certain circumstances, like having to track down an appropriate beer glass if you're out of your home.

13. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

This is my favorite vessel. Prost![​IMG]

JackHorzempa likes this.
  14. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

It is such a sin to drink from the can that the Bible doesn't even mention drinking from cans.

15. ravenwork

ravenwork Initiate (63) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Personally, I think it is a beer crime to drink any dry-hopped beer straight from the bottle or can. You are missing more than half of the experience that way. This is especially true for a beer like Troegs Nugget Nectar. This beer has a brilliant, sweet, candy-like aroma. The aroma fools your brain into thinking it is consuming something sweet when Nugget is actually a particularly bitter beer. The resulting disconnect between your senses leads to a truly fun taste experience. Drinking Nugget straight from the can or bottle just gives you in-your-face, smash-mouth, bitterness, which isn't really what the beer is all about.

16. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Zealot (585) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I only drink AAL's out of the can. They have to be ice cold, and it usually takes my 5 minutes or less to chug them down. Can't let these bad boys get, just cold. They HAVE to be ice cold.

17. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

Depends on the beer. If it's PBR, I drink it straight out of the can. If it's Ten Fidy, I pour it into a glass.

18. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Drink it how you like it. There's no rules in beer, just enjoy. Myself, I prefer 90% of canned beer poured into a glass and I pour all bottled beer into a glass. I will admit that I drink Heady out of the can - when I first got some I did this because of all the notices on the can but then I thought " oh please " and started pouring it into glass. It didn't seem the same so I did a blind taste test w some friends and much to my surprise it is better right from the can. I would not have believed that if I didn't try it myself.

19. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

If Heady topper told you to jump off a cli.....well, it is Heady Topper.

JackHorzempa and 57md like this.
  20. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (218) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I drink them from the can as well, not just because they don't look so great, but some of them also smell nasty while tasting good.

HopBomb515 likes this.
  21. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Knock yourself out, I wouldn't.

22. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm all about drinking from the can. Don't forget to bring a koozie!

23. honkey

honkey Disciple (348) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

I do like to drink from cans. I do not like to drink from bottles. The mouth of a can disrupts the flow of the beer and I think as a result you get more flavor and aroma from the can. Many people have cited the loss of aroma by not pouring into a glass, but in my experience, orthonasal aroma (through your nose) does not have nearly the amount of impact that retro nasal olfactory senses have on the drinking experience. A bottle however does not help to release aroma or flavor and does not allow beer to flow fully over the palette. So if I buy bottles, I typically pour into a glass, if I have cans, I may pour into a glass, but I do not see much benefit other than appreciating the appearance... In many cases though, I'll save myself from doing the extra cleaning

24. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I prefer the glass, but beer can still be enjoyed from the can or bottle.

25. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (385) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

It's only wrong if you think it's wrong and it eats you up on the inside while you sip a cold one from the can.

BigMike likes this.
  26. Rback

Rback Initiate (127) Feb 26, 2012 New York

The Federal glassware agency is constantly searching for violators

27. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 Georgia

Do what you like I drink my shower beers from the can also always drink Emergency Drinking Beer straight from the can

LouAleHead likes this.
  28. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (476) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

Ever shotgun a double IPA?

29. LouAleHead

LouAleHead Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Texas

In the end drink it the way you like, their is no wrong way to drink a beer, only requirement is to enjoy it. Now, on a personal note,I think both the aroma and visual appearance of the beer is part of the experience for me. I like to look and smell it as well as taste it; so I mostly enjoy my beers with a good ole fashion beer mug or pint glass.

30. thomda11

thomda11 Aspirant (232) Jun 5, 2014 California

I prefer decorative vases myself.

31. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm blasphemous all across the board, 80% of the canned beers i've had, i've never seen. I have drank world renowned BBA stouts out of the bottle. Its true that some should def be in the recommended vessel but some don't make it up in here.

BigMike likes this.
  32. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (216) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Ummmmmmmmmmmm NO!

33. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,310) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Do it all the time...

34. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I drink out of the can especially when outdoors, so not it's not wrong, it's really about preference.

35. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,409) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Until recently, my preference was to pour a beer into a glass, if at all possible.

Then I picked up some Heady in Vermont this summer. Not believing the wisdom of the can, I poured my first sample into a tulip. Before reviewing the beer, I tried the second directly from the can (since that was the way the brewer suggested). The flavors were simply brighter and more intense from the can. I subsequently drank the remainder of my Heady stash from the can.

Furthermore, I located a FAQ video of Alchemist Brewmaster John Kimmich. As part of that video, he explained why he felt Heady tasted better directly from the can.

In the future, I plan to give cans a chance and do more side-by-side comparisons.

36. Doodler

Doodler Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 Colorado

The only thing missing here is the fact that canned beer typically spends some of its time in warehouses. Notably, cans often get sticky during the canning process or along the way (exploded / leaky can in one of the cases, etc.) As such - they are often traveled on / germified by various bugs and vermin - so my beer delivery buds highly recommend to wash the top of the can (or dunk it in an ice chest for a few hours) first - if drinking straight from the can - to minimize the roach turds adding to the flavor profile / experience. Both ways seems to work well enough for me.....

37. meecrob

meecrob Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2015 Germany

I really depends on the beer whether I drink it from the can or not. I never ever would drink a Hefeweizen directly out of a can for example :sunglasses:

38. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (531) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Certain beers I like better straight from the can, cheap macro AALs such as Pabst, Genesee, Schlitz, Black Label, Hamm's are better from the can than bottle or draft, Genesee being the exception, in as much as the stubby bottle or can their product tastes similar. Pabst is way better in can form but I digress...
    Canned craft I'll drink from the can, if a glass or solo cup(camping/party) is not available.

39. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agree that the can may provide more aromatics than the bottle, but there still can be differences.

The ortho-nasal is more temperature sensitive than the retro-nasal but also other sensitivity comparisons between the two indicate that different aromatics may be picked up differently in one than in the other. So while there can be still lots of retronasal impact, reduction and/or elimination of ortho can make a difference in the overall profile one experiences.

40. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

I have no problem with either, but unless you clean the lid very well before pressing your lips to that can, I have experienced a metallic taste.

However, you should clean the lid whether consuming from a glass or directly from the can as those lids can get dirty after the beer is sealed from the canning line...especially when it goes on the truck from the brewery to the distributor and ultimately, the retailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.