Is it wrong to drink a canned beer straight from the can?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,303) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

For me never, unless I don't have a choice.

2. Brianhophead

Brianhophead Initiate (0) May 16, 2007 Canada (AB)

Maybe this sounds hipster-douchey of me but I only drink beers straight from the can (or bottle) when it's a cheap, crappy beer I don't really want to taste in the first place. Most of the beer I drink I pour in a glass whether I buy a can or bottle.

3. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Yay if not posting. Nay if posting. :rolling_eyes:

ColeDuncan and Gemini6 like this.
  4. philly224

philly224 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I do a lot especially if I'm outside. I love it.

Gemini6 likes this.
  5. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

I drank a couple Hopslams from the glass and then a couple straight from the can and could not honestly tell a difference. I think you're ok with certain styles, but I don't think I'd drink something such as a TenFidy straight from the can.

6. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I have to pour it in a glass.

7. turbotype

turbotype Aspirant (288) Nov 5, 2013 California

Depends on the beer and mood for me. I've poured PBR into a glass before and I have drank Sucaba straight from the bottle. The only person you have to please is yourself, so drink your beer how you want and ENJOY IT! :sunglasses:

8. jaketodd

jaketodd Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Idaho

Can. Less hassle. Getting it straight from the "source." Get to burp more that way too.

9. Hophead21

Hophead21 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

IPAs from the can are bitter bombs, miss out on a lot of the flavors. Pale Ales are fine though.

10. sillyhed8

sillyhed8 Disciple (322) Mar 15, 2014 California

If it's a beer I've had many many times, if I'm lazy, if the can is ice cold, then yea, I will slug in a can.

11. BFCarr

BFCarr Meyvn (1,468) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don't think there's a wrong way to drink a beer. It's a matter of personal taste.
    That said I go to the glass option unless unavailable.

12. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Oh, f ya. Why not?

13. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Everything has a time and place.

MostlyNorwegian and TongoRad like this.
  14. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Surfcasting-cans

Most others-glass

15. JackTheSipper

JackTheSipper Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2014 Florida

Depends... I won't pitch a fit for a glass, but it's a nicer experience. If i'm out and about, a cold can isn't punishment, it's just a cold can. :slight_smile:

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,988) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've done it before and I'll do it again. It's not optimal, but as hard as it may be to believe, sometimes there are other things that take precedence over having the perfect beer :slight_smile:.

vurt and offthelevel_bytheplumb like this.
  17. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Zealot (500) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

If I'm at someone's house, they always just hand me a beer. Cool. But I always ask if they have a glass. I'm that guy.

18. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

...probably to take your mind off of how muddy and amateurish the beer actually looks. :stuck_out_tongue:
    It doesn't taste too bad though.

19. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,898) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Generally, no, but, right no, on vacation, I have had several out of the can.

20. jmv0009

jmv0009 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2015 Alabama

Never never never.

21. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,511) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Either way although glassware is preferable.

Sometimes when you're out there catching trout by the waterside or peddling along a fine bicycle trail, bringing along appropriate glassware isn't really an option...

22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,952) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Beat me to it!

Seriously, though: always from a glass befitting the style.

MUTINY and Beersnob724 like this.
  23. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Glass always. Just makes the experience more of a, well, experience.. I do drink Stone ipa out of the bottle though. Has a more crisp taste to me or something

24. j111

j111 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

Out of a glass.

Honestly, as blasphemous as it sounds, I don't even know if it helps that much. I like the appearance and presentation alot better with a glass, but in terms of better taste, its not record breaking.

25. HNTRGatherer

HNTRGatherer Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2016 Tennessee

What's ugly about hazy beer?

26. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2015 Florida

Yay. I love the concentrated hop smell and overall aroma you get out of a can that dissipates in a bigger opening drinking vessel such as a glass or horn.

All hail our squid lord Cthulhu that's what he would want

27. shaneerickson

shaneerickson Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 Texas

depends. usually in a glass if its a 16oz can

28. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (3,188) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Only Heady Topper, albeit the only two times I had it. I only did it because I was strongly advised by both the can and the waitresses to not pour it in a glass. However, next time I'm in Vermont, I will resist peer pressure and try it in a glass.

29. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (464) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Usually in a glass if at all possible. Straight from the can is a distant second, and I'll probably end up doing it some when it warms up (camping beer! never actually taken any beer with me when camping/hiking before since all the camping/hiking I've done was before I started drinking beer, but that'll probably change this spring or summer.)

Straight from the bottle, though, is an "only if there's no other option" situation for me... literally every bottled beer I've tried both ways (in glass + straight from bottle), whether cheapo AAL or craft beer or somewhere in between, tasted noticeably worse straight from the bottle. Not sure why, but cans just seem to work a little better for drinking directly out of.

30. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Wrong no, but most are better from a glass. Out in the woods though, on a hike, I don't blame anyone from drinking straight from the can.

31. HopfordBeerham

HopfordBeerham Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2016 New Jersey

I almost always try to use a glass..every once in a while I'll do the HT straight from the can, but usually I pour that into a glass as well. I like to admire the look of the beer in a glass, while also being able to get a fulfilling smell of my beer.

32. kaos

kaos Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2014 New York

33. kaos

kaos Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2014 New York

I only pour into a glass if I want to rate it and see the color. Otherwise always from the can

34. Betolito

Betolito Initiate (0) May 20, 2012 Nevada

I normally would use glass, but Ten Fidy out of the can or Swami's IPA, just as good.

35. -Andrew-

-Andrew- Savant (917) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan
    Society

I usually do glassware if it's my first taste of a given beer, but I'm not as picky on subsequent drinks of the same beer.

36. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

Heady Topper from the can, always.

37. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,533) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

No, but it is wrong to type/write the word "CAN" in anything but upper-case letters! Otherwise, you are diminishing their importance. The CANQuest (tm) has spoken!

38. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

It's wrong to not drink a beer in whichever way you want:
    glass
    can
    boot
    funnel
    shot-gunning it

Just do it.

39. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,409) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Last summer, I was lucky enough to get 8 cans of very fresh Heady. I poured the first into a tulip. For the second, I decided to heed the command of the can and drink directly from the can.

The flavors, particularly the hoppiness, were much more pronounced. I drank the remainder directly from the can.

Recently, I tried the same experiment with Nugget Nectar and also preferred the direct from the can flavor.

I never thought that I would drink top shelf beer from a can and actually enjoy it. But, I also cannot deny that there is something to the claim that direct from the can is better.

40. Brandonhelvie

Brandonhelvie Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2015 New York

Glass almost always. Unless I'm doing something outside, shower beers are always from thr can/bottle. If I have several of the same beer I'll switch it up and compare glass and can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.