Is Michelob well respected in the craft community?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodgson

Hodgson Initiate (137) Nov 17, 2014 Canada

There is no comparison between the two, really. Fresh Anchor California Lager is a superb beer, one of the best in America, IMO.

2. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (168) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

Quite possibly Shaun is saying that, as a crafter of beers, he appreciates the craftsmanship in those beers. I bet he'd share a Mich with me, I'm pretty sure we've shared some Miller High Life.

It's so much harder to brew a consistent lager than it is to brew an imperial stout stuffed with cocoa nibs and hand roasted coffee beans or a runs-inducing DIPA with pre-isomerized hop pellets to enhance the tongue scorching experience. Or whatever other nacho cheese or bacon or maple or candy cane flavoring or whatever other adjunct is needed to make some beers "palatable".

Mich was good enough for Jim Morrison, it's good enough for me. Mich was my go to beer through the 80's until microbrewed beers were available widely in New England. Today, along with SN and Oskar Blues and BBC and a few others, it's still a go to beer for me. I prefer Mich to Bud. I prefer Miller High Life to Bud.

I'd much rather the so-called craft beer community have the collective talent and take the time to brew great tasting beers without resorting to "adjuncts" to mask the shortcomings of their brewing.

I'll take my Mich, thank you very much.

3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,387) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Not respected in our small community but i still drink reg/light and buy it from time to time miss the old hourglass shaped bottle

4. beergrrl

BA is about "Respect Beer."

And I too miss the bottle. I am not a fan of can-taste.

5. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,424) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

The Dunkel & Weisse were both pretty good...

beergrrl likes this.
  6. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (318) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Yeah, I remember the Porter and Pale Ale 10-15 years back when I was in Florida. Both were very drinkable and cheap, a small oasis in a sea of AB products. Regular Michelob was solid I think in the pre-craft days. Michelob Ultra achieved the goal of brewing a beer that tastes almost exactly like water!

russpowell likes this.
  7. Hodgson

But the part about intentionally putting in flaws doesn't make sense to me.

8. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (318) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Not "all' macros are well brewed, but otherwise good points. I've heard from many a craft brewer who got their start at Budweiser, and to a man they say top quality ingredients and process.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  9. Hodgson

Very good point. Many macro beers are poorly made IMO. A number are very good. I just had a Carlsberg Light that was was very tolerable, and Amstel Light has always been very sound for a light beer. These beers just taste beery, for lack of a better word, but too many don't and all you can taste is the adjunct and carbonation. There is good macro and not so good, ditto for craft beer, IMO.

10. beergrrl

"There are flaws that they intentionally put in the beer in order to continue the flavor profile, but those beers are really easy to drink. Not all beers are easy to drink."

To continue the flavor profile. The popular, expected, marketable flavor profile. It's like Dunkin Donuts coffee: it's not the best, it's far from bad, but it's always consistent. No matter where you go, DD coffee tastes the same, because they standardize all ingredients, including water profiles.

You know what you're getting. It's not perfect, but it's not a surprise at a time when you don't need or want a surprise, e.g. morning coffee or beertime.

This is very unlike my own Ahab, who pursues his White Whale of the perfect Helles ... and inches towards that unattainable point at infinity with every brew.

bushycook likes this.
  11. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

I prefer Ice House, which I believe is more revered than Michelob in the craft community.

surfcaster likes this.
  12. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Michelob now is far more about nostalgia than good beer. Did it have a place? OK it was marketed by AB as a premium product but come on--really wasn't anything that special in a time when in America--NOTHING was very special. It had that curvy bottle and neck label but was ordinary.

Put a fork in it--its done.

Well respected? Ha--that's funny.

13. Nctide

Nctide Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2014 Indiana

I'm with you on this one. It was a good option for a style I enjoy and don't see much. I guess Shocktop and their craft acquisitions nixed their Michelob offshoots.

KentT, johnnybgood1999 and russpowell like this.
  14. Hodgson

I understand the part about consistency, but not flaws, it's just an odd term. I assume he didn't mean adjunct by the way.

The perfect helles is a very worthy goal.

15. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (642) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

there was a certain bar that had tuxedo tuesdays. tuxedo being sort of a poor man's black and tan, the mich dark floated pretty well on the mich light. i'll agree with posts above that some of the specialty michelob's were decent in the '90s. That amber bock was dangerous. do i drink any of these beers now? no. would i? yes.

16. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (549) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

However, those Camry's will be on the road, doing their everyday jobs, many miles after the Ferraris et al have been recycled.

Michelob was never at a Toyota level but a very nice beer in the late 1970's... not so much today.

timotao likes this.
  17. skivtjerry

Just a matter of who went downhill faster. Both brands were very good at one time; who will win the race to the bottom remains to be seen.

5thOhio and cavedave like this.
  18. skivtjerry

Unfortunately, that is changing with the bottom feeders currently running AB-Inbev. Ingredients are getting cheaper, recipes are changing, looks like they want to survive on inertia and the brand name.

timotao likes this.
  19. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

Guys, OP is trying to win best post of 2014.
    Late entry, I know, but give him credit.

Smakawhat, VDODSON and Biff_Tannen like this.
  20. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Crusader (793) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

21. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,766) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

There are malts, and then there are malts.

offthelevel_bytheplumb and zid like this.
  22. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Disciple (328) Feb 23, 2011 New York

A year ago, I did a lager tasting with some friends. 4 UScraft, 4 German, and 4 US/Canadian all-malts. Michelob all-malt lager beat the pants off the others in the last category. Had more body by far than Moosehead/Molson/YeunglingPrem, even had more body than half of the craft/German brews. But it had an amazing lack of taste. Try as you might to smell or taste something, it was always like drinking while holding your nose closed. No taste. Someone mentioned cheap/inferior malts. I'd say that's it. The heavier body was unmistakeable, though, in the Michelob.

23. larryarms847

larryarms847 Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

Question for you, why is creating a post considered so ridiculous and why the need for sarcasm? This is a website for people to learn and talk about beer with other living individuals. What's the issue with creating a post to socialize with other human beings with the same interests in beer? Sure he could browse the thousands and thousands of reviews...or, ya know he could start a thread and hopefully get honest opinions from direct interaction and socializing with other members of this site........

24. larryarms847

larryarms847 Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

First page, 4 of 25 ratings include an actual review...yet, you are questioning why this individual created this post? The tickers that do not include a review do nothing to answer this person's question.

25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,825) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

All too true, I even mentioned that in another post. Still, it would be interesting to actually see that in action if I were to give Michelob a try. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be too much cheaper around here- my Total Wine has it listed at $12 for a twelve-pack on their website. I don't think my curiosity is strong enough in that case.

steveh likes this.
  26. timotao

timotao Disciple (311) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

I think he's talking about acetaldehyde. That green apple taste that's caused by over stressed yeast or packaging the beer before fermentation is completed. I'm not a brewer nor do I know anything about the brewing process. This is just what I've read about it.

27. russpowell

Society Trader

I'd save it for a single, if at all possible.

28. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (724) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Regardless of what one thinks of Michelob, it's hard to take this thread seriously with the question that is posed in the thread title. Michelob beers are rated awful to poor on this site so they are obviously not only not well respected but looked down upon by most.

#108 KingforaDay, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    neenerzig likes this.
  29. Tut

Tut Initiate (173) Sep 23, 2004 New York

True, but I doubt they would consider the McDonalds version anything but inferior crap, despite their weakness for them.

neenerzig likes this.
  30. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Devotee (474) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Straight shelfie homie

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  31. Tut

Tut Initiate (173) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Why not?

32. drinkbeernoth2o

drinkbeernoth2o Initiate (84) Feb 2, 2008 Massachusetts

Is this a serious question or a joke?

neenerzig likes this.
  33. nickfl

nickfl Poo-Bah (3,613) Mar 7, 2006 Florida

Garbage water produced to exacting standards with precise quality control is still garbage water. I respect their technical skill, but not their unispired product. Also, in the case of Michelob, they did use the brand name to do some releases of a few, for them, experimental beers 5-10 years ago. These beers were, by the standards of the styles they were purported to be, anywhere from mediocre to abysmal. So, some of the criticism is justified, especially since they once tried to present themselves as the craft side of AB. Their technique may have been flawless, but their artistry was rather lacking from what I remember of those beers.

Though I have to admit, I do think amberbock is pretty good for what it is, and I've enjoyed a few of them when nothing better was available.

#113 nickfl, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    neenerzig likes this.
  34. timotao

timotao Disciple (311) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

It's from a commercial..."why ask why? Try Bud Dry"

35. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Flaws are often also called off-flavors. Sometimes off-flavors are intentional in specific styles or brands of beer.

Various bacteria such as Brettanomyces in wild ales, Dimethyl Sulfide (sulfury, sometimes a creamed corn flavor) in pilsners, acetaldehyde (green apple, cidery flavors, etc.), or diacetyl in ESBs (butter/butterscotch flavor) are all generally considered flaws or off-flavors. These are some of the most common that are technically considered defects, but are often done intentionally to impart a specific flavor in beers.

Acetaldehyde is particularly common in macros to add to the flavor profile, particularly for Budweiser.

bluehende likes this.
  36. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Ultra is for girls and heavy is for sad people who don't know it.

BWM-77 and neenerzig like this.
  37. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,660) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

The short answer to the question is no. Absolutely not. And rightfully so. Here's the longer answer. While I think many here, myself included, do indeed recognize that Michelob, similar to Busch beer, is probably a small step up in terms of the quality of the product from Anheiser-Busch's other products like its variations of budweiser and bud light, most of us here still do not and will never hold it in anything resembling a high regard because it is still after all an Anheiser-Busch product. And the simple reality is that Anheiser-Busch does not and has not ever cared, at least not in many decades, about brewing a beer that most of us here would have any interest in willingly going out of our way to drink. At least not on a regular or consistent basis. Anheiser-Buch is mainly interested in making as much money as possible mb continuing to manufacture and market its products to the consumers who have no idea that virtually none of the products produced and marketed by Anheiser-Busch are even close to a real or true representation of the tradition of what beer has been for hundreds or even 1,000 + years now. I drank Michelob back in the early to mid 2000's when I was in my early 20's and was first getting into beers and discovering craft/micro beers/breweries and learning about the differences between macro/adjunct/light American beers, that were and still are in my opinion for the most part total shit I have no interest in drinking, and craft/micro and imported beers/breweries that represented and continue to represent what beer was and is supposed to traditionally truly be and who push the boundaries of traditional styles of beers in unique and creative ways and using traditional beer styles as a platform to create new styles while never losing sight of the great traditions of beer/brewing from different regions of the world. I probably haven't drank a Michelob in at least 5 or 6 years now. I recognize that for what it is supposed to be, the style is spot on. And it is a decent beers compared to bud light and is not as watered down. I do recognize and respect the ability of Anheiser-Busch to produce their products of a very consistent quality on a continual basis. they have the brewing of their shitty beers down to an exact science. Each bottle of butt wiper a person opens will always taste exactly the same, and in a ways that's a commendable feat I suppose. But that does not mean that I or most of the rest of us here have any interest in consuming any of those products.

DerekP, spidermite and floridadrift like this.
  38. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Aspirant (256) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

TLDNR

mynie, VDODSON and floridadrift like this.
  39. russpowell

Society Trader

Seen plenty of people with out girly parts drinking that beer. Heavy, I haven't seen it in forever...

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  40. russpowell

Society Trader

You should, you asked the question...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.