Is Ohio producing the best IPAs in the country?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kadonny, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,367) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That beer is crazy! I thought Tired Hands was cloudy.....holy cow I need to try that! Trade,a can?

bubseymour likes this.
  2. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (534) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

These threads are funny because of the amount of swagger they generate in peoples opinions.

rightcoast7, TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  3. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,576) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Got to agree. That is the murkiest IPA I've ever seen a picture of on here. It's way beyond orange juice...looks like a peach milkshake or something.

Kadonny likes this.
  4. Hayden34

Hayden34 Zealot (559) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Society Trader

My vote is for Vermont.

5. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

OP, you will never win this argument on here with all the Northeast fan-boy love, but I have to admit that Hop JuJu is as good as anything I've had from New England (even though I've yet to try Tired Hands). The ratings may not reflect it (and I think there's a bit of local love propping up some of the NE hoppy beers), but Ohio makes some world-class IPAs/IIPAs. Now I just need to get my hands on some HoofHearted, even if I'm not the biggest fan of my beers looking like OJ.

Strangestbrewer, Kadonny and JohnnyMc like this.
  6. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (155) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

As a native Vermonter and fanatical IPA hound, I take pride in the great hoppy beer my state produces. But nothing really prepared me for when I visited Portland two years ago. I've never tried so much awesome beer (mostly IPAs) in such a short window. It seemed like every street corner had a brewery or tap house serving amazing things I'd never heard of. And the prices!!!! That's what really blew me away. Everything was so cheap. Literally half the price of what I pay for stuff here.

#166 HopsDubosc, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Absolutely not.

Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Oregon, New York, and California are all for sure ahead of Ohio.

Certainly Ohio has a lot of really great hoppy brews, but they don't touch the likes of Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Tree House, Foundation, Bissell Bros, Lawsons, Alchemist, Other Half, Maine, Fiddlehead, Grimm, SingleCut, Peekskill, Boneyard, Cellarmaker, Alpine (not Green Flash-Alpine), Block 15, Noble, etc.

#167 THANAT0PSIS, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Strangestbrewer likes this.
  8. Gotti311

Gotti311 Champion (801) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

If you look at the name of the website that produced the article I think you have your answer

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  9. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Yikes? MA rocks for brews, breweries and IPA's. Next you'll tell me Cleveland is awesome to live in and you have sports team worth cheering for?

10. Leebo

Tasted lots from New England? I doubt it. Most areas all have great brews.

11. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Disciple (335) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio
    Society

I'm biased but I have to agree. JuJu is ridiculous. Just had Columbus IPA for the first time last week and it was great. White Rajah is good. Head Hunter great. Hell Sunshine Daydream is great, maybe my favorite session IPA.

12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (473) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Glad it only took until the second page of this thread for the best IPA in all of the land to be mentioned :stuck_out_tongue:

When was the last time you had a fresh Odell IPA?
    Have you tried the cans yet? They are very new and may be the best format of all!

SFACRKnight and sefus12 like this.
  13. KrajDoesBeer

KrajDoesBeer Devotee (458) Aug 2, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

14. Leebo

Wow. LOTS of swagger here. That's it. All posters at my house, Sat, July 2nd. 1 case of your states finest. 1 brewery, 1 beer. Hand carried by you. I'm north of Boston, MA. I'll have 30lbs pulled pork, plus fixings. Great mt bike trails nearby. You geeks can all sleep in my neighbors houses. Who's in?

ManBearPat, unhyped and beertunes like this.
  15. Mshaw78

Mshaw78 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2016 Virginia

I think this argument is pretty much moot. There are way too many factors that go in to a beer being the best. The entire argument is subjective. Besides, there are so many good IPAs out there from so many breweries, how can an individual even definitively state which is their favorite? Not to mention all of the region bias that people will have for what is actually accessible to them fresh. The state producing the best IPAs is probably the one closest to you that has a quality IPA. You will get it the freshest and the most often. Me personally, I love the Richmond/Central Va hops so much, that I don't put forth a huge effort is seeking out NE or Ohio hops. I'm perfectly content with going over to The Answer and filling a few crowlers for the weekend or getting a bottle or two from Triple Crossing on their release days. Hey Champion Fruit Basket might not be as revered around the country as a lot of those NE hops, but it was damn good to me and I only had to drive an hour or so to Charlottesville to get it fresh (was available in Richmond but some distribution problems made it take weeks to get here and then it was a limited supply). Local hops are convenient, fresh and don't cost me nearly as much because their is no shipping cost or long drives. Moral of the story, drink what you love. Let the GABF and the likes give people the labels of "BEST" and enjoy whatever available and fresh quality IPA is in your area. These lists of best states, yada yada yada, are for the birds.

16. bkbeerdude15

bkbeerdude15 Initiate (70) Dec 22, 2015 New York

Think NY has to be in the discussion. Breweries like Grimm, Other Half, Singlecut, Finback, Rushing Duck are producing some great IPAs. Can't say they're better than Ohio since I haven't had a bunch of those mentioned. But NY has a very strong core of IPAs. Also think it's silly to argue who makes the best. Just enjoy the beers for what they're worth.

Mshaw78 likes this.
  17. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (333) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

This made me LOL. I wouldn't have said it the same way, but I kind of agree. I've been hearing for years about how amazing the beer is in Oregon, how it blows every other state out of the water, etc. etc. But no one ever names actual beers anyone has ever heard of or tried. It's like some secret club and we have to just take your word for it. Kind of makes me chuckle. I have no doubt that Oregon makes some great beer, but it's sort of a tree falling in the forest with no one around situation.

18. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (839) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I haven't been terribly impressed by Trillium as I think their beers smell better than they taste. Good but not great. The 4 Tree House IPAs I got were the biggest disappointment of all the trades I've done. They were very mundane to the point where I wouldn't buy them if I saw them on the shelf. Only Alter Ego was impressive. Night Shift has some pretty good stuff though that I'd reach for over Trillium or Tree House.

I've only had 3 of the big boys from Oregon (Hop Venom, RPM, and Notorious) and all of them were sickly sweet. Just not for me.

RR IPAs are masterpieces even if they've been lapped by the next generation of IPAs. CA has Stone, Alpine, Kern (can't speak on them unfortunately), among others. All of which are pretty damn good.

Other Half has been some great (citra) and some just okay (AGE, Cascade) for me. Tesseract from Grimm was quite good.

I LOVE Surly but that's all MN has. Todd is the single best IPA on the planet among the ones I've had.

The only state I'd put above Ohio at this point is Vermont. Every IPA I've had from HF has been gold and I still haven't had either Abner or Ephraim yet (2 massive wants). Kimmich has Heady (very, very good) and Focal (top ~3 for me). Then throw in Lawsons with the Sunshine set and I don't see anyone that close to them.

I've yet to have Bodhi or anything from Hoof but between Fat Heads, Brew Kettle, and the other Columbus beers I've had, Ohio is killing it. Jackie O's has some good IPAs as well but a clear step down from the others.

Keffa likes this.
  19. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (466) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

If you look back in the thread you will see that I admitted my oversight of Massachusetts. And luckily I'm not originally from Ohio and am a lifelong Broncos and UConn fan, so no, there will be no convincing of the greatness of Cleveland.

20. clay23

clay23 Disciple (363) Jul 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

This whole thread lends itself to "beer snobbery" it's not comparing which of InBev's production facilities is best it's about qualifying opinions

21. EvanMaldonado

EvanMaldonado Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Ohio

I won't say Ohio makes the best IPAs quite yet. I think we do, but I'll hold out my judgement until my New England trip in a couple weeks.

But here's a list for all you BAs to seek out if you're ever in Ohio!

The Brew Kettle: White Rajah, Lupolo Libre
    Fat Head's: Headhunter (and special variants like jungle juiced), Hop Juju, Hop Stalker
    Hoof Hearted: Konkey Dong, Roller Blabe, Everybody Wants Some, South of Eleven, Wet when Slippery, Musk of the Minotaur
    Seventh Son: Proliferous, The Scientist, Syzygy, Woodwolf
    Rhinegeist: Truth, Stryker, Saber Tooth Tiger
    Madtree: High Series (Citra, Galaxy, Motueka), Psychopathy (and its blood orange variant)
    Jackie O's: Mandala Series
    Great Lakes: Chillwave
    Columbus: Bodhi, Creeper, IPA

Rollinghops513 likes this.
  22. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (466) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Ultimately, based on variety, quality, longevity, overall ratings/reputation, and just a little bit of personal preference, I will go with:

1. California
    2. Vermont
    3. Ohio/Mass

Again, just one person's humble opinion. I'm sure arguments can be made for moving some of those up and down. But, upon reflection I'm in no way ready to put Ohio at #1, but I do think they are clearly in the top 4 as there is probably a bit of distance between the top 4 and whoever is 5.

clay23 likes this.
  23. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (470) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

May I be blunt here: HELL NO.

I apologize, but when I read that I thought this was a joke. The article has a couple valid arguments why Ohio is really coming around on the IPA scene, but this is a little ridiculous don't you think? Oh, and this is an Ohio publication- not really very good third party documentation here.

As a few others mentioned- Oregon, California, Vermont, etc. etc. are much better and have way more big hits nationally. Competitions aside. (A lot of the awards the article mentioned are either old or smaller competitions.)

24. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (109) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio

For the Oregon crowd, what style of IPAs does your state specialize in or does it cover pretty much everything? I'm going to Seattle sometime later this year. I was wondering if I could find some delicious Oregon hops around there. I'm more of a sticky, dank, sweet kind of IPA drinker. The juice bombs are good too, although I don't get Roller Blabe. That was one of my least favorites from Hoof. South of Eleven may be my favorite or the EWS Nelson. Definitely huge wants are Konkey Dong and Draggonsaddle. Still haven't gotten either and they will be really hard now since those are the crowd favorites. Entertaining thread for sure :slight_smile:

Sabtos likes this.
  25. Ricelikesbeer

I think its' a valid point to point out that many/most of these aren't even available outside of Ohio's immediate distribution. Until these all make a bigger splash its kinda funny to me that these IPA's would be considered the best out there. Kinda like me saying Colorado makes the best IPA's when many arent' even recognized coast to coast. (BTW we have many great ones too.)

26. Ricelikesbeer

yeah... this whole thing is just "silly"- like dancing bear on a ball silly.

27. EvanMaldonado

EvanMaldonado Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Ohio

Hell most of these are hard to get in Ohio. I can't see crazy expansion in distro for a lot of Ohio breweries anytime soon. We like that "Ohio against the world" mentality here

28. Ricelikesbeer

Fair enough. And I understand how difficult distro can be. Just saying- how can Ohio consider these the best out there? It's like winning a local homebrew competition and then thinking your beer could beat out the best of the best. Not quite the same level of competition.

29. Robbiedob84

Robbiedob84 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Michigan

What? No love from mi in this category? That kinda sucks.

30. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

I think a lot of states have breweries that make amazing IPAs. Some are better than others, but we have really entered the Golden Age of IPAs. From my time spent living in North Carolina, Maryland, and my home state of PA, I can tell you that I've had IPAs from all three that are among the best I've experienced. Union and RAR are doing some good things right now. Hop Drop N' Roll as well as Wicked Weed's IPAs are awesome. I know Victory's release of Dirtwolf has been more than welcome and Neshaminy Creek's The Shape of Hops to Come and A Good Problem to Have are wonderful beers. On reputation alone, I'd have to give the edge to NE but we are literally surrounded by a plethora of A+ IPAs regardless of state.

Mshaw78 likes this.
  31. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,521) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

In my humble opinion, the answer is contained in the top 250 list.

Leebo likes this.
  32. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,367) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Wow, lots of butthurt ITT, pretty funny to read the comments of those that get all riled up.

It's actually not my argument, I posted a link to the guy making the argument. I was just laying it out there and since I've had some spectacular Ohio IPAs I am not dismissing it as absurd...........as some have here.

33. cducap

cducap Aspirant (251) Mar 27, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Honestly, it is fair to say most parts of the country have outstanding IPAs.

That said, I have never had anything which stands up to Trillium hops or Notorious from Boneyard.

34. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,566) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Some Oregon stuff comes up, but a lot doesn't. In WA & OR, a lot of the best stuff is from small breweries, that don't distribute much, and are mostly draft only.

There's these threads: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-seattle-winter-2016-update.372377/ and http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-winter-2016-update.377534/ , updated about with the change of seasons, post in them close to when you head out, and we can give you a better idea of whats currently out.

sbh50 likes this.
  35. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (303) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

responding to title here: No

36. cl3

cl3 Disciple (340) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think rather then trying to choose which state has the best IPA's, it would be easier to decide which state has the fewest great IPA's at this point. I vote WI.

37. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

These homer pissing match threads are always a good laugh. Some of my favorite reoccurring themes...

-Says Oregon doesn't matter because they don't distribute...goes on to name every tiny, nondistributing brewery in their state as a reason it is obviously the greatest.

-Says California doesn't count, it's too big. Is cool with counting Texas & uses the entire NE region as an example of the best state.

-Has maybe had an 'only God knows' how old bottle or two from some other states distributing breweries...judges that against home states best draft...declares home state best in country!

38. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

39. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yea. Screaming Eagle is about it.

40. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (839) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

West Virginia would like to have a word...

cl3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.