Is Sierra Nevada reformulating Tropical Torpedo?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ben4unc, Nov 6, 2019.

1. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (176) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina

When does the new Tropical Torpedo come out? Happened to notice the new branding of Tropical Torpedo on the SN website.
    Original formula was 6.7% and 55 IBU's and this is 6.0% with 30IBU's.

https://sierranevada.com/beer/tropical-torpedo/

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,812) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm all for that. Just .7% abv might not make a difference at lower abvs, but above 6% that's my personal cut-off. I can drink a lot of beer at 5% or less, but when you get up towards 7% it's easy to drink a little too much.

I was just thinking the same thing about Goose Island's "Next Coast IPA" at 7% which is a juicy IPA that really tastes like an APA.

The drop in IBUs will certainly make it more "crushable" as well.

ESHBG, Beervana, Roguer and 1 other person like this.
  3. alert

alert Initiate (28) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

I have always held opposite logic. I would rather drink a few 8%+ beers than crush a bunch of 5-6% cans. I guess it boils down to if you want to drink beer all day long or not

SkipZ, dukeandduke, rgordon and 2 others like this.
  4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (1,970) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota

I don't hold to either logic. My logic is "Do I like it?"

TheIPAHunter, SkipZ, KRug and 4 others like this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I have yet to have the original :stuck_out_tongue:

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,812) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Very good point here. I agree, I would rather drink a couple of good beers over a larger volume of beer. There are two things I should then add to what I've said.

First and foremost, even at 7% I don't find the Tropical Torpedo to be one of those beers that's satisfying enough that even with another beer is enough to complete my evening. It's just not that kind of beer. A Gales Prize Old Ale and a Chimay Grande Reserve - yes!

Secondly, I was thinking more of nights at the pub with the lads or an outdoor event, or even a fairly long dinner party. It's in those cases where I'll definitely have 4 or 5 beers, and maybe more, that alcohol content comes into play. In those instances, even though I like the Tropical Torpedo I'd reach for a Founders All Day instead.

Roguer and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Funny we’re only a few hours away from Mills River but some beers are just never fresh. This has been one of those beers.

ben4unc likes this.
  8. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Several 6.5%-8.0% beers consumed casually in the early evening do change the day, even Friday. As much as I love Sierra Nevada, I've never tried this beer. But I do think dialing back on IBUs and ABV could make for a larger arena for likely consumers.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You will find the same situation when you come back home to visit. Lot's of non-fresh Sierra Nevada beers at my local beer retailers too.

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  10. nc41

Trader

Hard to understand why, especially here. The fact that Gordons cannot be found anywhere in cans is a mystery too. I’ve never seen it on tap in Asheville where places like Barleys is fairly wide open.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. reowin

reowin Initiate (43) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

i never had the orginal tropical torpedo and i still havent had the sidecar orange one

12. JackHorzempa

Society

Needless to say but you now have lost your chance to try that beer.

Let's hope that Sierra Nevada does not decide to reformulate Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as a business strategy to reverse declining sales of that beer.

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  13. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Maybe it is simply so they can sell it in grocery stores in Utah! :wink:

14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (239) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (605) Mar 28, 2009 California

That would be a crime! There are some beers you can’t change. I do like that SN has tried to put out different pales and ipas trying to align with the new market, but keeping their core beers the same.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

I am with you here. Hopefully SNPA will stay the same.

But there have been a notable amount of changes at Sierra Nevada in the last year or so (e.g., the Tropical Torpedo recipe change we are discussing in this thread, dropping some brands (Nooner for example), the introduction of a 'Mexican' lager to their lineup, etc.) so...

Cheers!

17. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,213) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Is there anything you love more than you love drawing false aspersions?

18. JackHorzempa

Society

I love beer!

Edit: As you can read below is has happened before.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,868) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's happened before (contrary to even what SN admits to these days, IIRC).

[​IMG]

20. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (289) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Back when they were still distinguishing between bittering and finishing hops they listed perle and magnum hops as well for the Pale Ale. I would imagine it's quite common for breweries to switch their bittering hop over time as new varietals become popular, like going from using Cluster to using a modern German bittering hop like Magnum instead. The Tettnanger I have to imagine was a late boil hop though, I wonder what difference it made if any for the flavor. I wonder if Ken Grossman thought of Cascade as an American hop back then or if he felt it to be a replacement for European hops, like Cascade was being sold to brewers in the early 70s at least.

Jaycase and zid like this.
  21. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (239) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Isn't the draft version of SNPA different than the bottled version still to this day, more maltier and/or different malts? I think that the ABV may even be different?

dukeandduke likes this.
  22. nc41

Trader

Might have been a better mover if it wasn’t 6 moths old everywhere.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Needless to say but you have a valid point here.

To the best of my knowledge I have only had this beer once and it was a draft purchase. I discussed it in a past thread (2017):

"I have only had Tropical Torpedo once (a draft pint). I enjoyed drinking that one beer but I personally could not perceive any topical fruit flavors in that beer. If I was the type of beer drinker that expects 100% compliance to label descriptions I would never buy this beer again."

I did try to purchase a 6-pack to see if maybe this beer tasted differently in bottles but I picked up that 6-pack, looked at the bottling date, and out that 6-pack back down.

Cheers!

24. nc41

Trader

A new reformulated version will only be successful if it’s a high turn beer, hell its probably brewed in Mills River. Even Two Hearted I can usually get a month or so old, sometimes less. Usually why I buy Pernicious its always about two weeks old.

25. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, the ABV is different between formats:
    • Draft: 5% ABV
    • Packaged: 5.6% ABV
    And the packaged product is bottle/can conditioned.
    Cheers!

dukeandduke and ESHBG like this.
  26. zid

zid Meyvn (1,346) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

From a different thread recently:

SierraTerence, Jaycase and ESHBG like this.
  27. nc41

Trader

The original beer was good, it didn’t need to be fixed imo. Rebranding only works if retailers order it and customers buy it. Imo it’s a ridiculous exercise given I’m in NC and it’s unacceptable.

dukeandduke likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you think they should put a "new and improved" sticker on this new version's packaging?

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Trader

Lol, well no, because the first offering wasn’t broken. Smacks a bit of camouflage, but it looks like a significant change.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

It is indeed marketing.

As the old joke goes: How do you know when a marketing person is lying to you?

Cheers!

31. zid

zid Meyvn (1,346) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I don’t understand what you mean by this. If they are not explicitly stating that there was a recipe change, then why would you characterize this as marketing and use a quote about lying? Having the “sticker” you mentioned on a product that wasn’t actually different would be dishonest marketing. Isn’t this the opposite? I assume @ben4unc did a little stat-comparison detective work to arrive at this info.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  32. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (213) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Man I loved Tropical Torpedo, but then again a little innovation never hurts! I'll do something rare on this site, taste the beer for judgement :grin: