Is The Tulip Style Beer Glass The Most Versatile?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesings57, Sep 10, 2020.

1. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (615) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Being a glassware advocate just as much as I am a beeradvocate, I believe that among all the glasses I have drank beer out of the most versatile of them always ended up being some variation of a tulip shape glass.

The tulip shape beer glass coincidentally also happens to be one of if not the most ambiguous style of beer glass on the market. What some people call a tulip others call a snifter and vice versa BUT regardless of your take, do you in fact believe this style of glassware to be the most versatile across many different styles of beer?

Amendm, Stoutmaster9, Davl22 and 11 others like this.
  2. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,942) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

A tulip is what I use the most. I like how it feels, how it concentrates the smell of the beer and how it displays the head and lacing. It is my go to glassware.

Amendm, Stoutmaster9, Davl22 and 7 others like this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,919) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

No poll this time? :wink:

4. DEdesings57

Trader

LOL, I think my last poll cleared out some things but you know your input is always welcomed :slight_smile:

5. beer_beer

beer_beer Disciple (343) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Do you need the outward bend in the rim?

AlcahueteJ and DEdesings57 like this.
  6. DEdesings57

Trader

You just may have just asked the most subjective based question about what constitutes a "proper" tulip shape beer glass! Congrats to that!

AlcahueteJ, hopsputin and officerbill like this.
  7. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (442) Mar 5, 2014 New York

For me the most versatile is becoming the glass that can hold full 16oz as so many beers and not just IPAs now packaged that size, and that is tough enough to survive the dishwasher so I have less manual work

8. MNAle

Society

Just teasing. :sunglasses:

Ambiguous, surely. And, let's not forget the Belgian tulip, the tulip pint, the tulip flute, the ...

Most versatile?

Well, the NAME is certainly the most versatile!

I posted this before, but all of these glasses are called "tulips"...

[​IMG]

9. DEdesings57

Trader

strangely enough I Happen to own such a glass or in fact multiple glasses and I do agree with you!

10. DEdesings57

Trader

I'm glad your finally calling it a "Belgian Tulip" :wink: all jokes aside indeed you are correct and thanks for posting that. Yes the "TULIP" glass can mean a great deal of many things but the question is this, for all that it represents and encompasses, is it in fact the most versatile beer glass style?

MNAle likes this.
  11. beer_beer

Society

Probably more versatile than goblet?

officerbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (171) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Where does a thistle style glass classify as?
    Is it a different kind of tulip or is it a thistle?
    I've been fond of this style for quite some time and enjoy some of my earthier stouts in them.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,932) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah I bought the D'Achouffe christmas sampler just to get the tulip, it is my main glass and stays by the sink and I clean it by hand. It is right at 16 oz, but it feels heavy and thus lead me to believe it is pretty sturdy. I would like to have a 20 oz tulip since everything now comes in pints, so on the lookout

14. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,109) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Created on behalf of the scotch ale/wee heavy, but just another variation of the tulip

DEdesings57 likes this.
  15. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (180) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

Yes, the tulip is the most versatile glass, and yes, as one previous poster asked, it does need an outward bend at the rim, which greatly reduces the likelihood of it slipping through your fingers. I’ve used a tulip for virtually every style, with the notable exceptions of Pils and Hefe’s.

DEdesings57 and Ronmarley1 like this.
  16. seakayak

seakayak Defender (695) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Every style I bring home eventually ends up in this tulip, and it never fails to satisfy.

[​IMG]

Stoutmaster9 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  17. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (329) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I think willi is pretty versatile and the glass I use the most. In fact almost all the time unless I’m pouring a stout or saison which isn’t often. Any willi love?

schteve, tobelerone, Griffin2 and 6 others like this.
  18. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,345) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

My 16 oz Willi Becher is the most versatile glass I own. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is a high ABV or barrel-aged beer. Tulips are fine for most ales but just don't cut it for lagers.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. SILVER

Ha!
    I had no idea what you were talking about, so I did a little research.
    I found out what a willi becher was.
    I have one in my collection that was gifted to me several years ago.
    Yes, it came from Germany and has a Donisl by Hacker-Pschorr logo on it.
    So now I know!!!

hopsputin, officerbill and jonphisher like this.
  20. SILVER

Donisl is a restaurant in the Munich market place.
    It's been there a long time.

21. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (76) Nov 5, 2018 New York

This is a good point, since one of my pet peeves is restaurants that give you a 10 or 12-ounce glass of beer and basically charge what you would pay for a pint.

officerbill likes this.
  22. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,081) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've come to hate them - along with most every other stemmed beer glass. I don't think I've ever even seen one of these drooled-over Teku's in person, but I hate them, too. Because the geekery is so enthralled by them? And I'm just being contrary? Could be, could be... (I guess I'd be OK to be served a pilsner in a true Footed Pilsner glass, priced accordingly for 8-10 ounces beer).

I just find stemmed glass to be awkward to pick up, drink from and put down and kinda pretentious, as well. :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    Now, it's true that my long-time avatar (taken from the above coaster) was holding a stemmed glass even after I changed "my" hand-sign from the classic "Ballantine - 3 Rings"
    [​IMG]

...because it had been adopted by some alt-right/white power kooks.

But, no more - I'm going with a Willi.

Note, too, that it was common in the pre-craft days for brewers to advertise their beer in glasses that did not hold a full 12 oz. - you can even see the level of the beer left in the bottles in these pics from ads from 1940s and (Peter Max-ish) 1960s. It was common to top off one's beer from the opened bottle mid-way through.

#22 jesskidden, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,849) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I have some old Stroh's Willi glasses that I love, and I think they hold about 8 ounces. Always just top off the glass with the remainder once I drink some.
    They look like this:
    [​IMG]

24. jesskidden

Society Trader

Somewhere I've got an old Stroh's glass that has to be an Imperial pint (maybe larger - I should dig it out and measure it), kinda "Willi-shaped" IIRC. When I first came across it at a flea market or thrift store in the 1970s or 80s, US beer glasses just didn't usually come in sizes of a pint of more.
    (AB mid-80s beer glass chart.)
    Jesskidden, finds glass, considers the 50¢ sticker price, thinks:
    "Oh, damn, this is cool. I know Stroh's also makes ice cream, this must be a milk shake or ice cream soda glass!"

officerbill and FBarber like this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,486) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I find the tulip the least versatile outside of the styles of beer that it benefits. They are thin, easy to brake, awkwardly shaped so they take up too much room. They can not be stacked, and can pose a problem to clean. The only benefit they present is they present a better nose and therefore flavors than other glasses. Truly they seem to be the LEAST versatile glass.

Peach63 likes this.
  26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I also have a "half pint" Willi that's good for saisons and lambics, but then I have to be in the mood to switch glasses to break it out. :wink:

officerbill and FBarber like this.
  27. Judgie

Judgie Aspirant (212) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

Interesting! Right or wrong, I find myself doing this pretty often. Using a small tulip for ales or a small sampler pilsner glass for lagers, I get two pours from a 12 oz. bottle or can, and I get to enjoy the first look and smell twice. Don't judge the Judgie.

28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Here's a dollar store tulip/snifter type glass that also gets a lot of play. It's not fussy, and I got a bunch of them so I don't worry too much about breakage. :grin:
    [​IMG]

29. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I've got a few different branded Willi's marked 0.2l, 0.25l and 0.4l as well as 0.5l.

Well (and as I've noted frequently enough that I've got a jpeg for it :grin:) while the standard US beer bottle was 12 oz., the brewing industry (as well most bars in a lot of the US), considered a "glass" of beer to be 6-8 oz.
    [​IMG]
    In the Libbey catalog under "BEER SAMPLERS", they list the classic 6 oz. sham pilsner glass! THAT was the standard "glass of beer" in a lot of bars 35-50 years ago. Maytag knew that:
    [​IMG]

30. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (548) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I prefer a good ole glass mug like the one in my avatar. There's just something about a mug full of beer that appeals to me.

31. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,932) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

my main love of the tulip is due to the stem preventing condensation when I set it down. Granted I have coasters all over my house, still somewhat nice when in my office not worrying where I set it down.

TongoRad likes this.
  32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,660) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It has been a very hot & humid summer in SEPA this year. When drinking beer from my tulip glass I have all too often placed a napkin around the base since the condensation would drip down from the bowl of the glass and the base would be a watery mess otherwise. In a few more weeks I will not have to be using those napkins anymore.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

donspublic likes this.
  33. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,163) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I love my mini Suarez willi (.2l ?) because you can fill it 2 or 3 times from the same can/bottle.

34. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (495) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I really like those glasses that are shaped like cans... they’re sturdy/stable, hold close to a pint, and aromas seem to stay in since the lip angles inward.

after years of almost always using a tulip of some sort, these have become my absolute go to

Peach63, SFACRKnight and officerbill like this.
  35. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,345) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Funny, that's exactly why I don't love using my Suarez 0.25 L at home. I wish I could just pour an entire beer in there and be done. I thought it was a great size for pours at their taproom though because I could sample several different beers and still taste enough of each one to get a true feeling for it.

Peach63, jonphisher, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  36. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,163) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I hear ya. I have a big willi too (hehe) and while it’s nice to pour it all in one, the head doesn’t last quite as long. Plus if I’m only drinking a beer or two I get to fill ‘er up 5 or 6 times in a sitting so it kinda tricks my brain that I’m indulging in more than I actually am. Can’t go wrong either way though; beautifully shaped glass regardless of scale

37. MNAle

Society

:grin:

A quote from one of my recent NBW reviews:

Poured into a 20 oz Belgian Tulip (Now, yous can call me Ray, or yous can call me J., or yous can call me RayJay, but ya doesn't hass to call me snulip).

:sunglasses:

38. DEdesings57

Trader

:rofl::joy:

39. beer_beer

Society

Just came to think about that the domestic design glass I'm using is a Teku without that outward bend. Kind of tulip-like if you are good at imagination :wink:

#39 beer_beer, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  40. Dwh689

Dwh689 Initiate (92) Mar 4, 2012 Texas

Reading this hurt a lot.