Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Canada Is there a better Canadian IPA than....

Discussion in 'Canada' started by WilderPegasus, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricochet173

ricochet173 Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

lol at how any topic about IPAs inevitably becomes a Pliny and/or Heady circlejerk :p no offense at all, it's just funny.

2. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Imagine! People comparing other IPA's to the #1 beer on the site... :rolleyes:

3. ricochet173

Beer Trader

hahahaha I was referring more to the "West-Side Story"-like war between the Heady gang and the Pliny gang

4. rudge75

rudge75 Mar 12, 2003 Manitoba (Canada)

For some real eye rolling fun, calculate the stats for what percentage of the total BA population have rated heady, Pliny and the top Canadian IPA (fat tug). Hint: it ain't many for any of those beers, ESPECIALLY the fat tug.

JonnyBeers and Rutager like this.
  5. Rutager

Beer Trader

*snap* ...*snap* ...*snap*

ricochet173 likes this.
  6. smekermann

smekermann Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

All three beers are somewhat hard to find unless you live close to the brewery (and in Pliny's case, it's rare even in the San Francisco area). I'm actually not too sure how far Driftwood distribute their beers. I'd imagine it gets rarer the farther out East you go, although I have seen it in Washington in a few places. How common is it in Alberta or Manitoba or Quebec?

Rutager, in regards to Heady Topper batch variations, yeah, it's kind of second-hand information. I've had a couple of people say that to me and there was also a guy in that thread you linked to saying the same thing. Still, I think I'll take the brewer's word over second-hand accounts.

Rutager likes this.
  7. ricochet173

Beer Trader

Quebec does not allow distribution of any Canadian craft beers which are not from Quebec. Unless it comes from here, it is considered an "import" and is likely sold by the SAQ (which has a somewhat shitty selection).

In case my hatred didn't come through enough: &$@* the Quebec government and the SAQ.

4ster and oldp0rt like this.
  8. matthaslaservision

matthaslaservision Aug 18, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

if you think sucks or green flash is better then cc you're daft. and i'm familiar with plenty of ipas :)

9. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

But those policies might be why Quebec has such a huge number of local breweries. Plus, they have the cheapest beer prices in Canada.

Of course I'm in Ottawa where I have access to LCBO's selection along with Quebec's.

10. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

I was looking at BC and both price and selection are a shit load better than QC.

We do have a lot of breweries but many are not worth mentioning. I have a feeling like some of them are only present because that's what there is.

11. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Sucks is very good given it is fresh. Is the batch you guys got the same as the one released in the states? If so it's way old. Of course if you compare any old US ipa to fresh cc ipa then the cc will always win..

12. smekermann

smekermann Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Have you had both those beers fresh? The Sucks I had in Vancouver was still good (it might've had a couple months on it) but the Green Flash I find is almost always old. Anyway, some people don't like Sucks' taste. I personally find it unique and kind of amazing.

And we're still talking about CC's imperial IPA here, not their regular release? Because their regular IPA has turned into quite the mess, in my opinion. I bought a fresh sixpack earlier this week and I can't really say I enjoyed it very much. Thin body, decent hops but they're followed by this really prominent malt sweetness that just kinda ruins it for me. What happened to this beer? Did the brewery change the recipe? I remember this being really goddamn good three years ago. I don't think my palate has changed that much, I still like a lot of the beers I used to like back then.

BA Canada Forum: IPA Chat

JonnyBeers likes this.
  13. MaximeLanglois

MaximeLanglois Mar 28, 2013 Quebec (Canada)

Dunham Leo's Early Breakfast I.P.A. is the best!

14. liamt07

liamt07 Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Upon revisiting this in bottles, I've identified that this needs to be consumed much warmer (only a couple of degrees below room temp) to be close to what it is on draught. High-class IPA here. AND IF YOU THINK I'M WRONG YOU CAN FIGHT ME

matthaslaservision and Rutager like this.
  15. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

That's the case everywhere. And Quebec has plenty of breweries that are worth mentioning... DDC, LTM, McAuslan, Charlevoix, Trou du Diable, Dunham, Unibroue, Hopfenstark, etc. That's way more than Ontario.

MaximeLanglois likes this.
  16. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Anyone here had Surly Abrasive before? I'm drinking it now. It's f*cking awesome. No I'm not sharing. If you live close to the US border, order some from Merwin's ;)

unibroue4ever and oldp0rt like this.
  17. Rutager

Beer Trader

One of my biggest wants!! I've had some waiting for me in WA for the last two weeks. Glad to hear it's awesome, I finally get a taste tomorrow.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  18. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Mine's barely a month old and it tastes like it was bottled yesterday. Me thinks those cans help IPAs keep longer.

Rutager likes this.
  19. TheHammer

TheHammer Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

20. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

Had my first Sucks yesterday and it was pretty incredible. And we don't even get the fresh stuff. It's easily up there with Pliny and Palate Wrecker (I prefer it to Imperial, sue me) as one of my favourite IPAs. Definitely gonna pick up a couple more sixers.

21. liamt07

liamt07 Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Your two personal favourite IPAs in Canada are those that you've rated 3.64 and 3.43? Geez man...

22. jmk

jmk May 8, 2008 Illinois

I was in town and at the Distillery District Mill Street location on Thursday. Paradise IPA was on tap and the store had bottles to go. The server described it as a West Coast IPA. I found it to be a tropical fruit/flower bomb, lots of perfumed mango, but I did still enjoyed it.

23. TheHammer

TheHammer Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

What can I say, it's not my fav style, but I try to keep an open mind regardless, hence the probably not for everyone.

24. 4ster

4ster Aug 17, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

While it has already been said, you generally can't go wrong with ones from BC... the WestCoast just understands (and loves) their hops! :). Whether or not they have the most amazing ones, there is certainly enough of them. Heading East, Half Pints makes a couple of really good IPA's, I was greatly impressed with their Little Scrapper this past summer, and I hear their Humulus Ludicrous is quite good. Out here, I liked the Mad Toms over Smashbomb, and Dunham makes a couple of decent ones....

25. Whatup14

Whatup14 Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

papat444 likes this.
  26. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

Noticed that even average bars in Vancouver have craft on the menu and most restaurants. On tap fresh Fat Tug is hard to beat but I still think that Fearless from Dead Frog was the best IPA I have had in bottles in a long time. Hop Therapy from Russell is better than CC DIPA due to huge nose and mouthfeel.

27. Rutager

Beer Trader

Yeah, I'd have to say Hop Therapy is my fav at the moment. Great stuff.

604growler likes this.
  28. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

I also have to pimp Coal Harbour's Powell IPA as the best British IPA I have tasted in Canada.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  29. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

It seems everywhere I go for dinner has Fat Tug on tap. It's a most excellent thing to have happen. Driftwood's distribution of FT is huge!

distantmantra, 604growler and Rutager like this.
  30. decimator

decimator Jun 1, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Being in Ottawa we don't have everything but we do have it pretty good. Quebec & Ontario have different selection of beer (same with wine). I still have plenty of beers available to me that I have yet to try.

31. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I, too, am very pleased with this. I went into a dive bar with some buddies to watch a hockey game last week and noticed they had a Fat Tug sign on the door. I asked the waitress for a jug and she kind of gave me the stink eye and said, "You like that stuff!?" You're god damn right I do!

Rutager and 604growler like this.
  32. demcorhip

demcorhip Jul 24, 2006 Ontario (Canada)

Greg Nash has made a few ass kicking ipa's. Can't see why his current ipa's wouldn't be the same.
    Hart and Thistle...

33. Surfscience

Surfscience Jul 30, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

For solid Quebec IPA's I think McTavish in Memoriam by Trou de Diablo wins. Its labelled as inspired by West Coast Pale Ales but I think the hop profile puts it solidly in the IPA catagory.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13605/70349
    Good beer, particularly in a market deprived of non-belgian style IPAs

34. ricochet173

Beer Trader

I thought Leo's was pretty good, but yesterday I got my hands on a couple of bottles of La Catapulte... oh man... one of the best I've ever tasted!

unibroue4ever and papat444 like this.
  35. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Oct 20, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

IMO best Bottled IPA ever made in Québec...

ricochet173 likes this.
  36. Ivanhoes_Backpack

Ivanhoes_Backpack Mar 15, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)

I agree with you man, out of the Maritimes anyway. But I'd count it. If not I'd take their Citra One-Hop... mmm.

37. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

7% is not (any longer) an Imperial.... :) DIPAs start at 8%!

38. sdm9465

sdm9465 Dec 23, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

As of late 2011 he is at the Rockbottom Brew Pub: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19739

Still some ass kicking ipa's though.

39. sdm9465

sdm9465 Dec 23, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Had my first Citra last night and I agree it's very tasty. Much better than Comet.

Ivanhoes_Backpack likes this.
  40. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Where did you buy bottles of Catapulte? Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe