Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Canada Is there a better Canadian IPA than....

Discussion in 'Canada' started by WilderPegasus, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whatup14

Whatup14 Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

It's probably sold out everywhere...

2. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Jun 26, 2003 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

drinkininthewood likes this.
  3. ricochet173

ricochet173 Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Nice, I need to get my hands on that... their Wee Heavy really impressed me. Their next project is an English style Barleywine aged in Jamaican rum barrels, yum! Definitely a brewery I need to keep my eye on.

4. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Oct 20, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

The IPA was ok. Really looking forward to the BA English Barley Wine!

oldp0rt likes this.
  5. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

6. LarryAppleton

Beer Trader

The Le Castor dude also told me about a Saison thats currently being aged in Zinfandel barrels.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  7. smekermann

smekermann Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Anybody try the new Mozaic single hop anniversary double IPA from Parallel 49? Any good? Gonna pick some up tomorrow.

8. smekermann

Ok, so I just cracked open my first bottle. This beer is basically BC's answer to Lagunitas Sucks. It smells amazing, and it has some really gorgeous tropical fruit notes in there. Fuck me, might as well buy a case or two from the brewery now, while it's fresh.

edit: this is probably all I'll be drinking for the next month and a bit until it sells out. I hope they'll eventually do growler fills of this.

9. smekermann

Added Hopnotist to Parallel 49's list of beers. Seriously one of the best IPAs I've had in BC, hands down. It's better than Fat Tug at this point in time, although I dunno if the comparison stacks up, seeing as Fat Tug is a single IPA. If it doesn't stack up, the choice is even clearer: this is the best double IPA I've ever had in BC, and it probably stacks up to anything available back East. Yes, I'm really fond of making sweeping generalizations. At the same time, it's a single-hopped double IPA, really similar in style, look, mouthfeel, and aftertaste to Lagunitas Sucks, one of my favorite (d)IPAs. What the hell do you expect?

Parallel 49 also released a Cascadian Dark Ale (ie. Black IPA) under the name of Black Hops this week. I had a sample at the brewery today but I haven't had a full bomber yet. It tasted pretty damn good. Way better than their Christmas Dark Ale, which tasted a lot muddier and kinda bleh. This basically tasted like a properly roasty yet hoppy CDA with a pretty crisp, hoppy aftertaste. Probably worth a shot if you're in BC.

10. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I concur on Hopnotist. Parallel 49 beers have been consistently average for me but I think they really knocked this one out of the park. I'll have to drink a couple more before I can declare it my hands-down favourite BC IPA, but so far I don't think I can say there are any I like better. Everybody needs to pick this up ASAP!

11. smekermann

Oh, I also just found out that Russell Brewing released another batch of Hop Therapy. I picked up two bombers today. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to Hopnotist. It'll probably be a lot more brutal on the palate, if memory serves me right (and it probably doesn't - the nights I had Hop Therapy ended up being a bit hazy)

edit: also, if you're in Vancouver this upcoming Monday, Parallel 49 posted this on their Facebook:

Next week we're celebrating the death of Tied House! The cask at St. Augustine's on Monday will be the silver medal winning Parallel 49 Brewing Company Lord of the Hops IPA dry-hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo, and on Tuesday St. Aug's be hosting a P49 tap take-over, featuring all current (and a few previous) P49 Limited Releases! Black Hops CDL, Hopnotist Imperial IPA, Humphrey Biere de Garde, From East Van With Love... and more!

LotH dry-hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo? Yes, please. Will also be worth it for Hopnotist and From East Van With Love on tap.

Rutager likes this.
  12. ZorPrime

ZorPrime May 17, 2008 Quebec (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I concur... This is pretty darn good one but bottles are pretty rare. Lately, for its been La Morsure. It's pretty good, but it's not comparable with west coast version.

Cheers all,
    Eric

13. Whatup14

Beer Trader

Yakima IPA from Micro le Castor, is probably one of the best (if not the best) West Coast IPA we have in Quebec right now.

14. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

I bought some in Aylmer on Monday.

15. Whatup14

Beer Trader

Yeah, I was wrong. I've also seen it at Le Gobelet in Vaudreuil-Dorion.

16. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Wish i had grabbed more of Catapulte, all sold out in Montreal region. Anybody know if there's any Castor Yakima left, preferably south shore?

Saw some Bourbon Reserve this week. New batch looks like.

17. Whatup14

Beer Trader

For the Yakima, maybe there's some left at L'Épicerie des Halles in St-Jean. Give em a call!

18. papat444

Beer Trader

Damn! Was just there last night. I'll give 'em a call, thanks!

Whatup14 likes this.
  19. smekermann

I'm sorry to steer the conversation back to the Western side of things, but I've had quite a few Hopnotist bombers ever since it got released; probably two cases' worth. I guess I'm glad this is a one-off, because if this was available year-round at $6.50 a bomber I'd probably end up being a homeless, penniless alcoholic with a severe Hopnotist addiction. I'd maybe develop a debilitating crack addiction just to fit in, but Hopnotist would be my one true love.

20. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Who brews that one? It really is too bad that we don't get more of these great BC IPAs in Ontario.

21. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Jun 12, 2005 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

^^^ Parallel 49 Brewing.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  22. Ferris

Ferris Apr 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I was just in Toronto and I think Bellwoods did some very nice IPA's. I also think Lighthouse Switchback is pretty good.

23. wesbray

wesbray Feb 29, 2012 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Just tried Red Racer again for the first time in a couple of years and I was blown away. What a fantastic IPA.

Rutager likes this.
  24. 4ster

4ster Aug 17, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Not sure if you noticed on Peluso Facebook, but looks like they just got some more Yakima in yesterday...

25. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba May 5, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

Well after reading this thread I had to grab a few bottles of Catapulte yesterday. Think I'm slightly partial to Leo's (if we're talking Quebec IPA's), but damn this is some good stuff. Should have grabbed the last few bottles (Rapido in Aylmer for any Ottawa folk reading).

26. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm looking forward to trying Leo's to see how it compares to our west coast varieties now that I have one on hand (thanks papat)

papat444 likes this.
  27. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba May 5, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

Significantly different than "west coast varieties," nowhere near as hoppy...but the earl grey tea works extremely well.

28. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Yeah, I saw that and was intrigued. We have so many amazing hoppy ones here that it will be good to try a different take on the style.

29. papat444

Beer Trader

Hitting Peluso tonight after Le Mondial. Thanks for the tip!

30. drinkininthewood

drinkininthewood Jul 7, 2006 Ontario (Canada)

I haven't tried the IPA but the Wee Heavy this brewery offers is outstanding. I have an uncle who lives in Montreal and Brings me new brews from time to time and I had the luxury of trying the Wee Heavy yesterday. Just last week he brought me a Couple Bottles of Chaman and Pénombre from Dieu du Ciel. Good stuff.

31. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Just tried two versions of Yakima on cask. The Chinook/summit version was superior.

32. LarryAppleton

Beer Trader

Im seeing Yakima everywhere now in Montreal. They must be reading this thread! Although, 7$ for a 650 of IPA is a pretty steep.

33. Caudalie

Caudalie Nov 29, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Serious new contender to this title with the brewery only release of the 3 Mousquetaires Double IPA. Really dry, ticking at 8,3%, with a really pale and crisp malt bill and 8 varieties of hops, it's attempting to get in Vermont's league. And after a first taste, it's really good. I'm drinking HT and HF's stuff on a regular basis, and they really nailed it. I'll hae one with a heady side by side later on....

iguenard likes this.
  34. iguenard

iguenard Jan 30, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I agree with the Trois Mousquettaires Double IPA being my best all-time IPA from Canada (really liked Bellwoods Roman Candle when fresh also)... but comparisons to HT are totally out of whack. This drinks more like an imperial Daisy Cutter, or that Galaxy Double Daisy Cutter as it is much more Floral and mineral, kinda like a Gerwurz wine, and much more manly than HT (meaning it actually has bitterness to go with its aroma).

35. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Someone will need to compare this against our BC IIPA / DIPAs like Central City IIPA, Russell Hop Therapy or Parallel 49's Hopnotist or Snap Crackle Hop.

I will gladly take one for the team - please send 3M's my way ;)

Rutager likes this.
  36. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Best Canadian IPA is one you can get often and fresh. No point comparing East Coast to West Coast.

37. LarryAppleton

Beer Trader

I just saw St-Ambroise's new Double IPA in a store for the 1st time today. Ill have to try some this weekend

38. jaz58

jaz58 Dec 13, 2005 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

39. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Driftwood must be close to brewing this year's Sartori Harvest... those hops should be about ready to go I think. Managed to miss out on it last year, hopefully won't happen again.

40. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Satori Harvest first buzz ;) possible early/more mid September release ,
    second buzz o_O possible double amount being brewed
    visited my fav bottle shops yesterday and chatted up my 'friends'
    and scored some fine brews , :cool: prost LampertLand

FondueVoodoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe