Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Is there a better IPA for the money than SN Torpedo?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rjniles, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

Nothing to do with distribution costs... talk to your state rep about Nebraska's alcohol taxes! Look at the post above about Smuttynose being $11-12 in New Hampshire and $16 in Boston. That's because NH has no sales tax (even for alcohol, though liquor stores are state-run) while Mass. taxes it pretty heavily.

2. fds

fds Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

FWIW, I saw it at Hy-Vee earlier for I think 8.50, on sale along with all other six packs of SN. Not as good as the frequent 6.99 sales for Boulevard, New Belgium, or Sam Adams, but still a decent price for some solid, if underrated, beer.

3. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Jan 16, 2011 Missouri

No, honestly there is not. There are some that in my opinion are the equal - Schlafly AIPA for one - but Torpedo is a great beer.

4. alex_hart

alex_hart Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

Uinta Hop Notch is an amazing IPA (one of my top 5), and is very inexpensive for what it is. Uinta is just a great brewery all around

5. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

No.

There are a good number of shelf IPAs I think are better than SN Torpedo (Stone IPA, Sculpin, Westbrook), but they are all significantly more expensive than Torpedo (think $13 a sixer as opposed to $9 a sixer).

6. fds

fds Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Agreed! I had a friend give me shit for buying Ovila and Hoptimum earlier this summer, basically saying that SN isn't craft enough. I get annoyed by hearing that sad for Boston Brewing, so I definitely get annoyed when they say that about SN. Oh well, his loss for not enjoying them.

7. kjlcm

kjlcm Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Finest Kind and Torpedo are similarly priced for me in NH ($14 for 12 pack - $11 on sale). I do like Torpedo but probably buy Finest Kind two to three times more often due to my own preference. For a value diversion up here I mix in Shipyard Monkeyfist which I find to be a decent IPA.

8. zac16125

Beer Trader

Just out of curiosity where the hell can you get Jai Alai for that price? I used to live in St.Pete/Clearwater, and dont think I ever saw it for less that $9.99

9. zac16125

Beer Trader

If Finest Kind was $11 a 12 pack I would constantly have it in my fridge.

10. Noelito76

Noelito76 Oct 30, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

Nah, not when you find a sixer for $7.99 in Target.

11. azureoval

azureoval Jan 25, 2010 California

4pk cans and 6pk bottles are $6.49 around here so not much else competes with that. 12pks can be found for $11 or 12 bucks . I think the 16oz can is the perfect size even though the price to ounce ratio is higher. Lagunitas IPA 12pks on sale at Total Wine for 9.99 is a great deal also.

12. midnitesun11

midnitesun11 Mar 22, 2013 California

13. Spikester

Spikester Jul 14, 2007 Oregon

Six pack of Torpedo for $6.79 on sale. Can't pass it up!

warpig372 likes this.
  14. DrowsyBen

DrowsyBen Mar 25, 2013 California

SN never lets me down. Torpedo is such a good over the counter beer.

15. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Nov 15, 2009 Virginia

Not here yet but I cant wait. They've made it to NC but not VA yet.

16. Asics

Asics Jul 28, 2012 Washington

Here in Washington it is up there with Pyramid's Outburst in value, and even then sometimes I can find Outburst for $12 a case vs. $16. Sixers are usually (19/20) the same price ($8).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe