Is there a good fruit beer out there?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BobConner, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Well, if you consider that grains are the fruits of various types of grass, all beers are fruit beers.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  2. TheHouseofBelgium

TheHouseofBelgium Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2013 Belgium

Fruit beers from Mort Subite and Lindemans are very good but my personal best goes to Gauloise Red Fruit Beer from Belgian Brewery Bocq.
    8.2% strong fruit beer...

3. Johnny_Muir

Johnny_Muir Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

New Belgium Rolle Bolle summer ale is listed as a fruit/vegetable beer I guess because of the soursop and monkfruit, but its not an overwhelmingly "fruity" beer. Still, try it, its one of my all time faves.

4. HopStoopid120

HopStoopid120 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2009 Connecticut

5. WillRadar

WillRadar Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2009 Minnesota

Dry Dock's Apricot Blonde.

6. Denver_Beer_Guy

Denver_Beer_Guy Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 Colorado

Other than New Glarus offerings, my favorite fruit beer is Delirium Red. Can't find it in the US though!!

7. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

wachusett blueberry is pretty tits

8. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,108) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This is my answer all day, every day. Their Thumbprint Apple Ale is delicious as well (as are pretty much all of their fruit-influenced beers), but Serendipty and Raspberry Tart are phenomenal.

For what it's worth, Gillian from Goose Island is also a great strawberry-flavored sour.

9. lilsmizzul1225

lilsmizzul1225 Devotee (439) Dec 27, 2012 Indiana

Look for any fruit sour beers (lambics, wild ales, flanders, etc) and getting from a higher end brewery will leave you satisfied.

Also, depending on where you are, soon you'll be able to get Living the Dream's passion fruit ale. They're a new brewery in Denver but will be available in Illinois as well. Their passion fruit ale is one of my favorites-- it's a little bit fruity, a little bit sour, a little bit sweet, but absolutely 100% beer. It's amazing stuff and the name is still a WIP but I'm in with the company and rumor has it the name will be The Missionary Ale.

Supposedly, it'll be named for the Christian Missionaries who named the fruit "passion fruit" to convert indigenous South Americans to Christianity. Pretty clever name, and there's your history lesson for the day, haha.

10. Bigirishdrinker

Bigirishdrinker Initiate (104) Dec 9, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

SERENDIPITY...bazinga

11. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois

I love the New Glarus fruit beers but I definitely wouldn't call them a sour. Especially that one. Probably sweeter than sour.

OP - New Glarus. Awesome fruit beers..

12. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,559) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

What about Short's "The Soft Parade"? Can't forget the classics!

13. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,559) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looking at that list I can agree with #23 Samuel Smith Apricot ale was amazing I just wish we got fresher bottles since the aroma was very lacking. Their Cherry ale is my "go to" fruit beer I always pick up a bottle when I am at my Rt 8 Giant Eagle!

14. PseudoBen

PseudoBen Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Wisconsin

I always overlooked new glarus due to price point and the glut of stock everywhere around here, i tried the strawberry rhubarb on a whim one night... And immediately realized what a fool i'd been for so long. I've now tried them all and i will agree with the previous comments, every fruit beer they produce is money.

djl9701 likes this.
  15. MichaelAllenVT

MichaelAllenVT Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Vermont

Peak Organic- Pomegranate Wheat Ale is really popular at the bar I work at. It's not my thing but it sells.

16. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,905) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

DFH - Fort

17. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

petit mutant was very good

18. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Ellicottville Blueberry Wheat was pretty solid, as is Festina Peche. DH Tres Blueberry Stout, Great Lakes Alberta Clipper (Raspberry Dark Chocolate Porter), and Fullsteam First Frost (persimmons) come to mind as well.

New Glarus anything. Serendipity, Belgian Red Raspberry Tart are all great.

My girl really liked Rivertown Blueberry Ale at Ohio Brew Week.

The best fruit beer Ive ever had was Jackie O's Hop Ryemosa. Base was Hop Ryot (think Rye ZD) then it was spiked with Orange zest/juice and Grapefruit Zest. I bet I drank somewhere in the realm of 5 in 2 and a half days.

peetoteeto likes this.
  19. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

Outstanding choices here, but if I go for a sessionable right off the shelf, it's Abita Purple Haze. It really is impressive that they blend it that well.

20. Rob315

Rob315 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Kentucky

DFH Festina Peche'
    Ithica Apricot Wheat
    DFH Aprihop

21. michman

michman Aspirant (209) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

rubaeus is great, soft parade, and i enjoy that tart michigan cherry in Bells Cherry Stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.