Is there caffeine in beers brewed with coffee?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Abra

Abra Jan 27, 2014 Massachusetts

It's really interesting that there doesn't seem to be a solid definitive answer. I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine, but I love the flavor and wish i could enjoy all the wonderful coffee porters/stouts. From experience I feel there is quite a bit of caffeine in these beers. Two Left Hand Milk Stouts one evening and I did not sleep for even a minute. I enjoyed drinking them though! And that's not even a "coffee" beer, it's just one of the flavors.

Not to make things complicated, but who else thinks there should be a caffeine content on the label of these types of beers? Some seem to have way more than others. It makes sense, especially for those of us sensitive to caffeine, to be able to make an informed decision when selecting a beer.
    Just my two cents!
    Jay_Ulreich likes this.
  2. Sponan

Sponan Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

I believe what you are experiencing is known as the "placebo effect". As you stated, Left Hand Milk Stout does not contain coffee.
    vkv822, Jay_Ulreich and Pecan like this.
  3. Jirin

Jirin Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

That law seems to be an overreaction. I thought the danger with four loco was the amount of caffeine, not the presence of it.
  4. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

The high amount combined with the high amount of alcohol. I think it was interfering with people knowing just how drunk they really were. And there may have been some adverse reactions with people's hearts, if I recall correctly.
  5. SFNC

SFNC Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

I'm not a scientist, though I do own a lab coat and I can truely say that there is no caffeine in coffee flavored beers, unless you want there to be.
    beer_pilgrim likes this.
  6. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Jun 13, 2012 Florida

ISO: BCBCS Decaf

7. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

Ssshhhhhh! The FDA might be listening.
    horsehockey likes this.
  8. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Dec 20, 2006 New York

There was an article about this in the BA magazine years ago and the answer is it depends on the beer, some contain an insignificant amount and some contain as much as a cup of coffee per serving.
    Abra likes this.
  9. HeavensGoblet

HeavensGoblet Apr 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I am a chemist, though *disclaimer* i have not done any quality control studies on coffee beers. That said, if a beer is conditioned on large amounts of coffee beans it is quite possible it may still contain a fair amount of caffeine.

Anecdotally, I never drink coffee or expose myself to caffeine in my day to day life, so when i consume any caffeine at all it has a very strong effect on me. With that said, I have definitely gotten a caffeine buzz off of Tree House's coffee stout, Double Shot, no question.
    Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  10. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

It is a placebo effect.

For a very coffee forward beer I put around 3 ounces of beans cold steeped for 5 gallons...that's around 5 cups of coffee or less, in 5 gallons. So less than 1 cup per gallon of beer comes to around less than 1/8 cup of coffee per basically the is around 1 sip of coffee's worth of caffeine in a very coffee forward beer.

If you are not a regular consumer of caffeine, you may notice it, but not at levels many claim by saying they get a "buzz" from drinking a pint of a coffee beer. If you drink caffeine at least once or twice a week, this sip wouldn't register as a caffeine buzz me than likely...if you drink coffee regularly, the caffeine in a coffee beer wouldn't even show up as a blip on your radar.

Brewers have explained this over and over again, but the psychosomatic placebo effect is a strong one in this case.
    THSdrummer likes this.
  11. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I believe that if the coffee is added during the mash then the caffeine is "destroyed" as CaveDave put it. But some breweries essentially dry hop their coffee beers with coffee. And this would leave the caffeine in (I'm pretty sure).
  12. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

i domed a Hawaiian Speedway one night and sat in bed with my heart pounding for a few hours

it was worth it though
    lemmy187 and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  13. chinchill

chinchill Feb 29, 2008 South Carolina

The FDA permits caffeine, which is quite bitter, in beverages and elsewhere as a "flavoring agent".
  14. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I actually had an experience similar i drank 4 pounders of Gansetts Autocrat coffee porter and thought there was caffeine in it because i have a sensitivity to and i started to shake and vibrate lol.
  15. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Nov 8, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Blue Moon's Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout is brewed with decaf. Seriously ... decaf. As a fan of the style, I have to try it, but I'm not a fan of decaf coffee.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

But not in alcoholic beverages:

cavedave likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!