Is Tree House a fad or really that good?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BWood, Feb 1, 2017.

1. BWood

BWood Defender (631) Jan 4, 2015 California

So I was looking through the top 250 beers today. 6 or 7 of the top 15 are from tree house. Then about 10 of the top 30 are from them as well. Are they really the best brewery in the country? No other brewery dominates the list like they do. Or is it the rarety that makes them popular? Since I live on the west coast I know nothing about them. They have 0% distribution here. It's just interesting to me that for a brewery that seems to not hit half the country could be so overwhelming dominant. But maybe they are just that good....you tell me.

Harrison8 likes this.
  2. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (1,688) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Premium

Unfortunately, I live on the West Coast where we don't have easy access to Tree House beers, but the only beer I rated a 5 thus far is Julius. I had it at a beer festival, it was fantastic.

3. Ultra-Plinian

Ultra-Plinian Disciple (305) Mar 1, 2013 Connecticut

They are pretty damn good. But the rarity helps, even if only at a subconscious level. On top of making awesome beer, they are also great at keeping things running smoothly and the are really nice people.

4. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (971) Nov 3, 2013 California

They have some great beers, but living on the West Coast we are surrounded with great ipa's

5. StoutFox

StoutFox Aspirant (262) Jun 6, 2013 Ohio

Not always one to climb aboard the hype train but...They really are that good. Except bright, it tastes like pot and I can't get past that. But everything else they have is somehow topnotch

6. anvindr

anvindr Initiate (97) Jan 6, 2016 California
    Trader

yeah they are really that good. I am from the west coast but just visited their brewery last friday (picked up julius, alter ego, TWSS, doppelganger). I was completely blown away by Julius (and moreso by alter ego). Even their milk stout was phenomenal imo albeit that isnt my favorite style.... The layers of flavor that julius and its variants have is unparalleled as far as I can tell. Maybe monkish can compete but I sorta doubt it as I think Monkish imitates Trillium more than tree house

7. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (763) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Had curiosity 12 & 13, plus Lights on and another one off IPA from them. Thought they were good and well executed "new england style" but nothing mind blowing.

Brolo75 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  8. anvindr

anvindr Initiate (97) Jan 6, 2016 California
    Trader

well you might want to try julius / one of their flagships before saying that......

Geuzedad and eppie82 like this.
  9. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (763) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I do want to try that beer. I have no doubt that, plus Green, is great.

I also had Triple Shot when it came out a few years ago and wasn't all that impressed. And when I say that I mean that it was plenty good, but nothing that I haven't had locally.

10. thuey

thuey Initiate (194) Nov 13, 2015 California

Californian here too. I tried a few things of theirs - Julius, Haze, Green, Old Man and Bright.

Nothing was bad, but I would say Green in particular was absolutely delicious and memorable.

I prefer Cellarmaker more than Tree House, but then again I've tried a lot more of their stuff.

11. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Initiate (123) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

Hawaiian here: They are that darn good
    Tried Julius, JJJulius, Green, Haze, Curiosity 22,23,27, Alter Ego, Lights On, Bright and Double Shot
    They are worth it!
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried the good west coast stuff (Monkish etc) other than Pliny and Pig, so I can't compare them

boddhitree, SteveB24 and Harrison8 like this.
  12. Untitled04

Untitled04 Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2016 Korea (South)

If Treehouse is not mindblowing then I do not know what is. Trillium is world class and I think Treehouse is ahead of them by miles and miles.

13. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,013) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Humble brag here from Illinois, I've been there twice and traded for them a bunch to the point of having tried over 20 of their beers: from King Julius, Very Green, Juice Machine down to Bear and Ma... They are the best DIPA/IPA/PA style brewery in my opinion, and even beers not in those styles are high quality.

If I had to choose one brewery to drink from for rest of my life, Tree House would be it.

Btw, they dont have any kind of a distribution. You only get their stuff at their brewery a few days a week during specific times. And except for very few occasions, typically you can't consume anything on site.

14. dental

dental Disciple (394) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts

0% distribution here in MA as well. brewery only.

GuyFawkes, AlcahueteJ, pinyin and 5 others like this.
  15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,354) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I had the opportunity to taste and review 6 of their beers. I went in with the goal of picking apart everything about the beer, just to see if folks were wrong. After all, with all the hype and rarity behind them, I was doubtful. I found each of those 6 to be excellent, but I did end up under rating each by a smidge on here (except Ma, I think that one I slightly rated over the average). Treehouse is fantastic. I still want to try their coffee stuff, but it's not worth getting trade raped over.

Does Treehouse even distribute? I thought they sold everything from their brewery.

16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (760) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I've had a few of their beers. But speaking strictly from the stand point of someone who has been on this site over 12 years, yes it's a fad. A few things...

1) This isn't to say the beers aren't good, and they won't continue to do well. But this same question was asked of Hill Farmstead (who dominated the top beers just like Treehouse), many calling them the "best brewery in the world".

2) Everyone raves about Julius, King Julius...etc., asking if the beer is worth it, if it's the best beer in the world...just like Heady Topper for years, and before that Westvleteren 12. Tastes change, and in some cases, distribution/capacity increases. With more reviews and access, the ratings drop, and people stop chasing after a beer like they used to.

3) The majority of Treehouse's beers are in styles that are inherently rated much higher. You can't compare them to a Jack's Abby (who does an amazing job in a wide variety of styles, both traditional and modern), who's an all lager brewery, based purely on ratings.

When Treehouse brews 12 different IPAs with various hop combinations in the "New England-style", of course they're going to log jam the top 250 if they're good. But if they decide to start brewing 10 Pilsners instead of IPAs, their ratings will drop.

They have a wonderful combination of brewing good beer, with distribution limited to brewery sales only, in styles that everyone here loves. Does that make them the best brewery in the world, or even the country? In my opinion, no. Looking at the beer world through turbid colored glasses is short sighted.

17. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (351) Jan 8, 2015 Texas

I remember when Zombie Dust was rated as high as #6 on the top 250 beers list. Now, it's rated in the 40's. Heady was #1 for the longest time, now barely top 10. It's all a fad.

Side note and quick observation, and I'm not familiar with distribution of some breweries, but have a good understanding... of the top 50, Zombie Dust is one of the only beers distributed across the state of Indiana, albeit some parts of the state get it very limited, but it also goes across state lines. I know that ZD goes to Chicago and Milwaukee, at least. Not many of those top 50 even leave the brewery or are a limited release (think: Bourbon County).

I think rarity goes a long way in the ratings.

18. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,000) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Just that one sentence is pure gold.

I've had several Tree House beers (Julius, Haze, Lights On, Curiosity Twenty-Two, Doppelganger) and thought all those were very good, not particularly outstanding...Green, on the other hand, was phenomenal. So I haven't had as many of their beers as others, but I've found that Trillium and especially The Veil knock it out of the park just fine for me and they're not as difficult to trade for. I'll continue to seek out Tree House's beers but I'm not gonna let others use their hype train to gouge me in trades. Not saying that it's happened to me personally, but I've heard of people setting ridiculous trade values for their beers.

19. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (308) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

They are good BUT not that good. Juice bombs that they can way too early. After three weeks in the can thy are really good.
    I work 20 min from them but never go.....I'd take Nightshift or a trillium over them every time. My buddy that works at a local brewery said it best. " tree house makes beer for people who don't like beer" locally tou will see guys at the bar downing bud lights talking about treehouse. no bitterness all juice-
    I will say their stouts are the real deal!

rozzom and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  20. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,490) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

As suggested by others, they are indeed quite good, but their current "domination" of the top 250 list doesn't mean they are the best brewery in the country. That list changes very easily and sometimes quite rapidly. So if we look at the title of your OP, they are both a really good brewery and one that is riding, in part, on a fad or popularity contest.

Look back at the list from a couple of years ago, or wait around a year or so, and they most likely will not be so prominent on the list as they are right now. Some other "hot" brewery will be "dominating" the list but Tree House will probably still be very good at what they do.

21. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (583) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

FFF distributes to ohio as well.

Anyone remember when Storm King was ranked #1?

The lupulin palate shift is real.

AlcahueteJ, rozzom, jkane101 and 4 others like this.
  22. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,810) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Fad. I've had a number of Tree House beers (& reviewed a few) & the only ones that really stood head-and-shoulders above other IPAs were Bright & Haze (the latter is bloody amazing).

They're a really good brewery, but soon someone will do 'different' (like putting chocolate in sours or something) & in five years we'll be wondering why in the world everyone was so hopped up about IPAs that look like orange juice.

rozzom, Jaycase, croush and 5 others like this.
  23. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

What using the term "hopped up about IPA's" intentional :stuck_out_tongue::slight_smile: LOL.

maximum12 likes this.
  24. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (110) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

I've never had any of the Treehouse IPAs but i've never really understood this claim. People who love beer from this forum have ranked Treehouse very highly. And I don't think we (I) can say that a Bud Light drinker is someone who doesn't like beer. Do you think Treehouse is intentionally creating beer recipes for those who don't like beer? I'm not trying to argue it, I just have a hard time understanding that concept.

25. zid

zid Champion (859) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Or 1 Pilsner. How many versions does Rothaus crank out? Tick, tick, tick... leads to BOOM. :wink:

26. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (149) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Given the hype, the popularity, the ratings, and the overall success of Tree House, yes they are the best in the business right now.

Also, w
    hether you think they are the best right now or not, is completely irrelevant. Taste is subjective. They are at the top of the game for the popular majority now, so you can argue that you don't find them to be the best, but that doesn't change how the majority of raters/tickers/drinkers feel.

Now, that also doesn't mean they are going to be at the top forever. Michael Jordan isn't the best NBA player anymore. Was he the best ever? Maybe, maybe Lebron is the best ever, or maybe it's someone we've never seen yet. Maybe Heady Topper or Westvleteren 12 was the best ever, or maybe it's something yet to come.

It's an argument that can not, and will never end.

27. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (522) Jan 16, 2013 New York

While I've enjoyed the majority of Tree House beers I've had, I'd take Trillium over TH any day.

If you like a really well made juice bomb, Julius and Green are pretty great.

That said, I will never understand the hype behind Juice Machine, I've never been so disappointed in a beer.

dleiner and rightcoast7 like this.
  28. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,632) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I hope to find out for myself...One of my 2017 Beer Resolutions is to get my hands on some Tree House

29. skleice

skleice Aspirant (240) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I think the answer is 'Both'. Yes, imo, it is that good. i would blindly give them my money and take anything they brew. It's all top notch quality. They are my absolute favorite. However, it is just natural that eventually somebody or something will come along to bump them down a few pegs....just the natural cycle.

JrGtr, stevehagy and pinyin like this.
  30. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Defender (628) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

NOTHING compares to what they put out. they're in a league of their own and yes, they are that good. their niche beers (ipa's / stouts) are some of the best beers i've ever had. i consider myself very fortunate to have a steady supply at all times. i don't travel up norther new england nearly as much as i used to since TH started pumping out cans.

boddhitree and stevehagy like this.
  31. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (307) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Both. They are that good but drinkers will move on and when the beer stops selling and trading so high so will many other people who buy it.

32. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (525) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

One could even argue Treehouse [and some others] are a one-trick pony. Granted they do it well and it's a popular trick these days, but history shows that public opinion changes, which creates fads. Fads can occur independently of the skill or abilities of the person creating the product, just ask the Bee Gees.
    Perfect.

33. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (279) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

The Number 1 beer on this site is a Treehouse beer, and it's not an IPA....Just Sayin...

34. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (777) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

I know I have loved everything I've had from them. Although surprisingly I didn't find Good Morning to be all that extraordinary. Certainly not #1 spot worthy, but then what is?

35. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (760) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It's an imperial stout, which are well documented as being rated higher. Most of these "one-trick pony" breweries brew a litany of IPAs, and then a handful of imperial stouts. I imagine the issue is sourcing and time due to ingredients such as syrup, barrel-aging...etc.

And even though I quoted the "one trick pony" line, this isn't a slight towards Treehouse or any other brewery. Many successful and respected breweries can be labeled as a "one-trick pony". Schlenkerla in Bamberg brews all smoked beers.

Nothing wrong with doing what you do well and focusing on that, just in Treehouse's case it happens to be in styles that people rate highly on this site.

rozzom, zeuiax, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  36. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,385) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I'm with ya. I always want to ask those folks where I can go to find out what beer tastes like.

I have had over 90 of the beer styles available now, all taste different, but I bet if you go back through history you will find there are likely ten times that many versions of what beer tastes like, all of them the right one.

37. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

To each his own. I've had a number of Trillium, Nightshift, and Tree House beers. I felt that Nightshift IPAs were well off the mark - bland when compared to the other two. Trillium is sublime, but a few are a tad dry for my taste. Tree House takes the cake for me. Doppelganger and Green stand out as my two favorites from their regular lineup. Very Green is the best IPA I've had to date.

I haven't had any of their stouts, but I relish the opportunity to do so.

Robtobfest likes this.
  38. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (415) Feb 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

This makes no sense whatsoever, considering Tree House does not focus just on NE Style IPAs. I think it would more hold true if your provided an example of a brewery that was created just focusing on this 'niche'. Is there an example of a Brewery like this? One that is just purely focused on the 'fad' of NE style IPAs?

As for the 'fad' waning for Treehouse? There will certainly be backlash once the new facility opens. Won't trade as well and the inevitable 'decline in quality'...

39. JBogan

JBogan Champion (806) Jul 15, 2007 California

Maybe a little off topic but, imagine for a moment what the top 250 list would look like if everyone in the world who drank beer started voting here for their favorites. I'm pretty sure none of the current 250 would even be on there.

Guess what I'm saying is lists often don't really mean that much. Drink what makes you happy.

40. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,043) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

You are from Pennsylvania have you ever been to Tired Hands? I Have said this about them more than once over the years.

boddhitree and rozzom like this.