Is Trillium tough to come by?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by twizzard, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (371) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

again, b/c the brewery has choices. it's their choice to put out super expensive (to make) beers in the the most expensive format (750ml bottles). so all I've been saying is that I would like to see more of their less expensive beers made (I love Congress St. personally) in formats that make it cheaper for me to buy (growlers for now is what they can do, hopefully small cans or bottles in the future).

put out Congress St. every week in growlers and I would be buying a ton more than I am now.

fwiw, this is similar to what HF is trying to do. less experimentation, more focus on putting out Abner, Everett, and Edward year round as their flagship beers. granted they have been around longer, etc.

2. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Devotee (408) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

@HighLowJack Trillium has been around for little over 1 year and has managed to bottle & package beers in that tiny space.

I'd imagine these things take time.

With regard to pricing, what's worse: $13 super fresh DIPA 750ml or having to spend $50 at some gourmet shop in order to buy a $25 Classic Gueuze? :rolling_eyes:

jefffalcone likes this.
  3. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Which one takes three years to make? :rolling_eyes:

4. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Devotee (408) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hear you on that.

But a Fort Point area shop was bending their customers over for the "right" to buy it a few months back and it still sold out.

5. nimbleprop

nimbleprop Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2008 District of Columbia

Plus HF has greater capacity.

6. HighLowJack

Trader

I had no problem with that. Cantillon is so hard to find that it doesn't make sense for the shop to just slap a $25 price tag on 12 bottles, watch them be sold in 8 minutes, and then wait 2 years for their next shipment. I'll all for supply and demand pricing.

7. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Pricing discussions on this site always follow the same general structure, and ultimately, are completely futile. If the two recommendations below were followed it would be a much more pleasant site.

Complainers: Don't buy the beer.
    Defenders: Don't justify the price.

8. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Poor @twizzard - guy just wanted to get some Trilliium from his kid and started a thread that has devolved into the economics of craft beer. What a f***** nightmare. . . .

twizzard, MattXT and jefffalcone like this.
  9. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (279) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

CBC's canned beer is brewed at Wachusett.

I'm a huge fan of Trillium and I drink their beer quite often but I'm not gonna pay $13 for a 25 ounce bottle of IPA when I can get a 6 pack of various excellent IPAs for the same price or 64 ounces of FFPA for a few bucks more.

10. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

I wasn't going to get into another price debate, but I feel after reading through, I don't find the price to be out of hand. Bombers and 750s are always more expensive. And I agree, vote with your dollar.

But locally the new Stone Collab is $10 for a 22. Against the grain 750s are $14-$17, etc. Fresh local small produced craft isn't any more expensive...

Unfortunately I don't think any of these breweries is going to offer 30 pack pricing anytime soon, nor should they.

RKing44 likes this.
  11. emannths

I'd like to see more take advantage of contract brewing to offer their flagships at cheaper prices (and, in Trillium's case, more reliable availability). Take the CBC route and brew $12 6pks at Mercury. Then you can dedicate your tiny primary facility entirely to high-margin bottles and continue to rake in the dough.

JGLittle and halfshell like this.
  12. Auror

Auror Defender (623) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I think the economics of "flagships" are more complicated than that. They have to be cheaper, easier to source recipes to be produced en-masse, unless you've been planning for quite a while to go that path. I don't know enough about the cost of brewing a saison at the commercial level to know if Trillium could do so feasibly at a reasonable cost, but there aren't that many saisons out there in "packs", and I generally assume if something is the case and I don't know why then there is a reason.

13. emannths

I know sourcing Citra is near-impossible on a spot basis, but othewise I'd thing scaling up FPPA would be a relative piece of cake. I suspect saisons are not commonly in packs just because they're not big sellers. Maybe scaling up a yeast blend, like Trillium uses, is challenging to do predictably compared to single strains, but otherwise there should be nothing standing in the way. It's not like you're going from homebrew to 100bbl.

I'm not expecting anything overnight, but if you're already planning a second brewery you might as well contract for the whole 2014 and 2015 citra crop and contract brew in the mean time.

14. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts

Based on the press release earlier this week, it sure seems like Trillium is planning to increase their packaged output via their own offsite brewery (rather than a contract situation). 6 packs of FPPA and Pot and Kettle have to be part of that plan.

15. BigHoppy

BigHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Massachusetts

So back to the gist of the op's post, well sort of.. Wondering if tomorrow's Double Dry Hopped Congress St case count will be similar to HM? If so, I can imagine the whole (sold out in by the end of the afternoon) scenario will probably play out again. Any insight JC (If you even want to come within a mile of this thread again lol)?

16. rjp217

rjp217 Poo-Bah (1,633) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Bottle count hasn't been given but it is 4/pp

17. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

99 cases according to the twitters. About the same as Tuesday.

18. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Heavy Mettle was underpriced in that case.

19. HighLowJack

Trader

again (and again), I'm not complaining about the price - I'm simply saying it was too much for me to buy it (and yes those are 2 different things). Demand was clearly there for this type of release. I'm complaining bc I would like to see more of the lower price offerings (or more offerings like this one, but in growlers to lower the price point). I hope everyone enjoys what they bought - this one just wasn't for me.

20. swinyeju

swinyeju Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2011 New Hampshire

what this fine gentleman said! I personally have thoroughly enjoyed just about every offering they have put out....great stuff. You will miss out just aiming for FPPA

21. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

You are complaining about the price. Almost every post you made was complaining about the price. You just complained about the price after saying you aren't complaining about the price.

Even when you are fine with a smaller format to keep the price down you turn a blind eye to the fact that the beer is very highly priced to comparable beers. Cool, this release was too much for you but don't go making illogical comparisons, contradictions and random arguments to support your cause.

22. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (318) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Tell you what, right now I am thoroughly enjoying another Congress St, this is outstanding stuff! Sadly, I will miss the double dry hopped version as I am in VT securing some Lawson's and Mastermind. Times are tough...

swinyeju likes this.
  23. HighLowJack

Trader

err I haven't and I won't. Your argument seems to be "it's an expensive beer to make and this format is always expensive - bottom line" and you're ignoring the fact that I'm accepting both of those as very true. but I'm also saying that a brewery has choices, but you don't seem to want to accept that. CBC doesn't need to partner to someone else to can Flower Child, but they do, and the result is a local, high quality beer at a great price point - so I'm applauding them for that. I don't know why you're so defensive about me simply pointing out that $13 / 25 ounces is a very expensive price point for an IPA. There are obviously lots of people ok with that. Mercedes sells plenty of cars, I don't think they would get upset if I called them expensive.

24. swinyeju

its tough to be spoiled as all hell living in the northeast right now haha.

Cheers man

bruindre, jefffalcone and BigStein88 like this.
  25. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (318) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Living in NH, we don't have much in terms of great beer here but we are in striking distance of a lot of great beer!

swinyeju likes this.
  26. swinyeju

exactly!

BigStein88 likes this.
  27. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (474) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

28. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Great shot. Cheers!

jefffalcone likes this.
  29. chipawayboy

Trader

Yea -- but this isn't half as bad as when he bemoaned his friends bogarting his stash of great whales at a party he had last month.......

AshlandNacho and cappy201 like this.
  30. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

anyone in line yet? :grinning:

AshlandNacho likes this.
  31. seanwhite

seanwhite Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts

CBC signed a very long term lease years ago in Kendall, when Kendall was not expensive, and was a desolate land of abandoned warehouses..

32. GoOSU

GoOSU Initiate (150) Oct 6, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

How are the lines for the Double Dry Hopped Congress Street IPA? For this release, can you purchase other bottles too?

33. mj0126

mj0126 Initiate (152) Mar 2, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Other bottles are available, list is on their website, and they tweeted ~20 minutes ago they worked through initial line and there is no wait currently.

34. Vicirus

Vicirus Disciple (345) Oct 8, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Played it safe today and went on my lunch hour rather than waiting til after work. Zero line, in and out with my 4 bottles in a couple minutes. I'd just watch their twitter for an accurate case read. You can grab other bottles as well. Psyched to try this side by side with the regular Congress St.

35. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

no wait at 1ish

36. BigHoppy

BigHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Six cases of DDHCS left as of 30 minutes ago, pretty sure it is gone now.

37. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's all gone. Nearly 200 cases of Heavy Mettle and Double Dry Hopped Congress Street IPA sold over 2 days in about 10 hours. That's awesome!

ChrisChagnon likes this.
  38. chipawayboy

Trader

Initial reports are that ddhcs is off. After taste or something. I got 4 and went back for four more after lunch at row 34. Hope the reports aren't true! Having congress st now. Unbelievabley good. Anyone else try the ddh yet??

39. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

I had one earlier. You're right it's off. Better let me take those off your hands.

40. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Initiate (185) Jan 20, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Haha it's dry but awesome - drink away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.